THE Fire Torts Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
I Like Torts and would thrive in his system but it's over. Organization will be boxed in and like it or not coaches are the first in the sacrificial lamb line.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I am almost to the point where I think we need a "Fire the Franchise" thread. :sarcasm:

None of this is fun anymore and I am a day one STH.

I’m pretty much to this point. If we miss the playoffs this season (with our best team EVAR!!!! Zomg!) , and everyone walks, it becomes readily apparent that this franchise will never do anything of consequence. Going to be hard to pay a bit of attention going forward if that happens, not just with CBJ but the NHL in general.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I am almost to the point where I think we need a "Fire the Franchise" thread. :sarcasm:

None of this is fun anymore and I am a day one STH.

I’m kinda with you but...

We had ‘fire everyone’ threads back in 12/13, too. We thoroughly investigated Priest and Mr. Mac jr. and what we perceived their role was in the malaise at the time. Those are fair things to question I’m just saying that, while it’s not the kind of history you want to have, we’ve been low like this before.

213 Sentinel

Jul 2, 2006
Marysville, Ohio
I’m kinda with you but...

We had ‘fire everyone’ threads back in 12/13, too. We thoroughly investigated Priest and Mr. Mac jr. and what we perceived their role was in the malaise at the time. Those are fair things to question I’m just saying that, while it’s not the kind of history you want to have, we’ve been low like this before.
I remember that well. However, was the roster this strong back then? That's the real crime here.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
I am new on this Blue Jackets Board so whose brilliant idea was it to alternate Goalie Bob every other game and in the games he wasn't going to start, he was not on the bench but high up in the press box? Did Torts say he wanted Bob rested for the playoffs? What playoffs when this offensive challenged team went from three points up on the Canadiens to currently one point in back of them!

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I am new on this Blue Jackets Board so whose brilliant idea was it to alternate Goalie Bob every other game and in the games he wasn't going to start, he was not on the bench but high up in the press box? Did Torts say he wanted Bob rested for the playoffs? What playoffs when this offensive challenged team went from three points up on the Canadiens to currently one point in back of them!

Bob was/is injured.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Pretty much a given, the jackets fire Torts, they go on a big run to finish the season. Nearly every team blows up after canning the coach. WTF are you waiting for Jarmo. No way in hell this team should be in a fight for the last playoff spot. They are honestly one of the most skilled teams in the east.

Reactions: GoJackets1

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Pretty much a given, the jackets fire Torts, they go on a big run to finish the season. Nearly every team blows up after canning the coach. WTF are you waiting for Jarmo. No way in hell this team should be in a fight for the last playoff spot. They are honestly one of the most skilled teams in the east.

It should had been done after the loss to Edmonton a few weeks ago.

This team is not going anywhere and the season is over.

Cya all in October

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
This "fire the franchise" thing is kind of an interesting development. We're kind of in this weird spot where we barely make it in and then lose in the first round. We seemed more engaged when the team was drafting higher. I feel some of the fatigue and it is echoed in different ways by others. The highs of the deadline with the lows of team getting worse after the moves contributes to this a lot I'm sure.

Mine started sometime last season, I might have seen 25 periods of hockey this season as opposed to watching almost every game until this season.

cbjfan

Jul 4, 2002
Visit site
This "fire the franchise" thing is kind of an interesting development. We're kind of in this weird spot where we barely make it in and then lose in the first round. We seemed more engaged when the team was drafting higher. I feel some of the fatigue and it is echoed in different ways by others. The highs of the deadline with the lows of team getting worse after the moves contributes to this a lot I'm sure.

Mine started sometime last season, I might have seen 25 periods of hockey this season as opposed to watching almost every game until this season.
I am about the same way. The first few seasons, I went to every single home game and watched every road game live from beginning to end. Today, I go to less than 5 games a year (as a full STH) and will DVR and fast forward through most games in 5-10 minutes. The only reason I keep my season tickets is for the "hope" of a deep playoff run, but that seems as far away now as it did in 2000-2001. It is depressing.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Mine. Sorry y’all.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Not 100% sure on Dzingle. His fiancée is an model/influencer and golfer. So hard to tell if they will want to be here long term with her ambitions. Yes he has ties to OSU and that helps and yes there are some great golf courses here in central ohio so it's possible but I wouldn't count on him wanting to be here.

Duchene will want to win. I tend to agree firing torts may help retain him, but at same time he may want greener pastures.

Just to clarify, the term social media influencer needs to go away. All it means is that you are hot and have an instagram account. As far as her golf situation, I think the only thing she is involved in that I have seen is a Fox Sports show with Jimmy Hanlin and he is based out of Cleveland.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've wanted to can Torts for a while, but I've wondered if it's kind of pointless so late in the year. But in today's interview with Jarmo, Portzline mentioned that Lamoriello did this for the Devils, firing coaches in the final weeks twice. The first time they did it, they won the cup, the second time they went to the second round. Those were pretty good Devils teams that were just underperforming. I tend to think the same of this Jackets squad - it's the best, most complete roster this team has ever iced and it should be much better than this.

Of course Lamoriello's moves came up in the context of Jarmo saying he wouldn't "pull a Lamoriello", so that stinks.

Reactions: Cowumbus

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
What will be Torts’ biggest failure as an NHL head coach? This roster missing the playoffs, or the Vancouver disaster?

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What will be Torts’ biggest failure as an NHL head coach? This roster missing the playoffs, or the Vancouver disaster?

This one. Vancouver was a bad roster that he made worse. This Jackets' roster could have actually done some damage in the playoffs.

If he leads this roster to a 9th place finish he should be fired on the spot and never work in the NHL again.

He should have been fired weeks ago, but he'll also get another job. He led this club to a 108 pt season in his first full season here, that's what GM's are going to think about when they think about hiring him.

gocbj

Aug 3, 2007
C9
For players it isn't a year it is a career. Guess what another term for uninspired hockey would be...not trying. Why not try? See the title of this thread.

Have discussions with former athletes from any sport at any level in your find that fans care a lot more about reaching the post season than players do. It's just no professional athlete or anybody currently playing whatever ever admit that because it would obviously be the kiss of death

That does not mean that our players don't want to win the Stanley cup. It does however mean that a guy like PLD may hate John tortorella so bad that he has one point in the past however many games

And the next guy and the next guy...

And by the way, jarmo knows this too. Maybe our best chance to keep panarin in in the off season is to have a reason to fire torts

Reactions: Dumais

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm 99.9% he finishes the season. I think his future with the team has to be seriously evaluated by Jarmo et al after the season. If his attitude in press conferences is what he is feeding the team he has to go.

With B&B presumed gone and Duchene and Dzingel(?) question marks I think the coach going forward has to be a guy who can get the best out of a rebuilding team and take advantage of a limited number of top prospects.

I don't know who I'd replace him with, I'll leave that to the experts, but I think a younger guy who can relate to the young players while not losing the vets is the key. First and foremost the guy has to be able to install an offensive system that minimizes "safe is death" and can take advantage of guys like Cam, Duchene, PLD, Anderson, OB, Texier(next season?), Bemstrom (when he comes over), Robinson, Stenlund.

Bottom line Torts should be replaced.

Reactions: cbjfaninmo

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
This franchise IMO will not be paying a coach who they signed to a two year extension not to coach next year. I believe he will stay. He may be fired later next year but he survives this year.

Reactions: We Want Ten

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Have discussions with former athletes from any sport at any level in your find that fans care a lot more about reaching the post season than players do. It's just no professional athlete or anybody currently playing whatever ever admit that because it would obviously be the kiss of death

I'm going to call BS on this one. I'm sure some players feel that way but in hockey I think the majority are much more driven towards winning. I think it's the height of hubris for a fan to ever think they want it more badly than the player does. You might think that they don't care if the play doesn't go the way you want it to, but there's two teams playing and you have no idea how badly they have to want it just to come out even.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad