THE Fire Torts Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
If we ever lose Torts we need a Trotz/Bowman. I dont want to play Euro hockey. Part of what took me from casual to hardcore fan is when we got fligs and dubi. My favorite players pre Torts era were Dorsett Calvert and Bass. I love hard hitting tight defense blue collar hockey. If we turn into a dangling 2010/11 Canucks team that had only Kes and KB3 for toughness it will suck to watch. I like hockey over sports like basketball and soccer because toughness if we turn euro I will be sad.

You must be really fun to be around at parties

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
If we ever lose Torts we need a Trotz/Bowman. I dont want to play Euro hockey. Part of what took me from casual to hardcore fan is when we got fligs and dubi. My favorite players pre Torts era were Dorsett Calvert and Bass. I love hard hitting tight defense blue collar hockey. If we turn into a dangling 2010/11 Canucks team that had only Kes and KB3 for toughness it will suck to watch. I like hockey over sports like basketball and soccer because toughness if we turn euro I will be sad.
I appreciate your post Mikey. I always admire your passion and support of the team even though I'm often not in agreement with some of your positions. This gives me a better context as to why I see things differently on those matters since we come from contrasting preferences. I'm more of a Tampa/Toronto playing style and less a fan of the Dubi, Dorsett, Bass player types and coaching styles that lean that way. ...(It's probably why I loved the North American youth brigade so much in the Worlds several years back.)

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
That wasn't a high bar to reach. Hitch got a lot out of grossly inferior rosters, but Torts has been our second best head coach.
I'll give you that Blah. Getting to the playoffs with a team featuring Manny Malhotra as 1C and Hejda-Commadore as your shutdown pair was indeed no small task.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'll give you that Blah. Getting to the playoffs with a team featuring Manny Malhotra as 1C and Hejda-Commadore as your shutdown pair was indeed no small task.
You disrespected the great Jan Hejda. I'ma have to hurt you on principle now.
trouble.gif

Reactions: MoeBartoli

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I appreciate your post Mikey. I always admire your passion and support of the team even though I'm often not in agreement with some of your positions. This gives me a better context as to why I see things differently on those matters since we come from contrasting preferences. I'm more of a Tampa/Toronto playing style and less a fan of the Dubi, Dorsett, Bass player types and coaching styles that lean that way. ...(It's probably why I loved the North American youth brigade so much in the Worlds several years back.)
I honestly appreciate you saying that about my support of the team when I first joined I was a little aggressive and kinda a dbag because how other forums I was a member of and how they were so I was defensive and I feel like Ive tried to be respectful of others opinions and not be super bias and try to have actual open minded discussions where I would be willing to move my opinion and as a member here I highly respect your opinion on this team/hockey in general even though like you said we fall on the opposite ends of the fence a fair bit.

I honestly think I am a fan of the Torts style coaching/those types of teams and players because my personal experience in sports. My dad was drafted out of high school to play baseball and an injury ended his career before it started so at the age of 3 when I showed interest in baseball on TV with him he immediately started taking me outside to practice every day after work from 40 early spring to 40 degree early winter and he taught me to pkay HARD. I knew even on the weakest ground balls or easy fly balls I run full speed or im benched. I learned always slide into the 2nd baseman on double play attempts because that running lane is wide and runner has the right away. I learned when pitching the plate is mine including that inside corner and if you crowd you get 1 warning and the next one is ear hole haha. I loved playing hard and I was the most serious 8yo you could ever imagine out there. I ran the huddles and speeches and I would chew you out for not hustling. At 12 because the way I ptched I ended up getting a small tear in my right shoulder and no surgeon wanted to work on a kid my age because i was still growing and the procedure while fixing it could be a recurring issue forever as opposed to trying to let it heal naturally or wait until I was early 20s to make sure it wouldnt be as long lasting as possible. After that I had to play 1st because throwing killed my arm. I took off a couple yrs and played jr and sr HS as a DH completely destroying my shoulder because I loved the game and then became a coach and was basically a Torts style coach where I loved the kids I taught and expected the most out of them and I had my own little puppy house for the kids who messed around too much and they could work out of it and I would always reward them with playing time and higher batting order. I coached until my back got too bad to be able too stand.

So I just wanted to give a backround and kinda say why that style appeals too me because it reminds me of how I loved playing and how I loved being coached and how I coached. Of course I love goal scoring and offensive play and skill BUT I love even more seeing passionate gameplay and seeing guys play hard and like they love the game. When you see a huge hit, and the fighting, and the blue paint rebound goals and shit talk and I love a coach that doesnt care if you are the best player he will say you are playing bad or bench you or do what he has to in order to get the best out of you or donwhats best for the team. I love that he will say the star of the league is a whiny bitch and manipulate the refs because the league wants him to succeed. I love he will tell reporters to f*** off if they are being stupid.

I guess I associate Torts and that style with love of the game, for the team, and for the fans. And for me thats first and foremost most important. I want my team to win but I have to feel they want to win and that it isnt a selfish thing or money thing but that its a for the team/fans/city. Its a us vs them thing. Which is why to me the Cavs title and Cleveland winning although I was ecstatic to win it felt kinda hollow because it seemes like it was made into a selfish lebron redemption thing because he wanted to fix his rep rather then it feeling like it was a we finally won thing. Irving not getting MVP rubbed that in for me. But the way Torts is, Dubi, Fligs, hell listen to guys we likely dont have next year they all seem extremely genuine about loving the city and their teammates. And when I see skill guys and teams those guys are normally the chase the money and cup with less loyalty.

/end rant sorry for the novel

Reactions: logan etherton

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
My first post to start this thread , Jan 2018, not mich has changed other than Bjorkstrand is finally playing more minutes , most nights .......

Seems like most gdt discussions are trending to this topic, and I'm sure I will get some flack for creating this thread, as the season is not blown yet, injuries are mounting, and we are still on pace for the playoffs. But , lets be real. Torts, has been brutally bad this season. Lines are mixed up nearly every game. Little to no adjustment, to the worst power play in the league . Giving players like Foligno, first line minutes, nearly every night, when his play has been brutal this season. Giving young players like Bjorkstrand, Milano, very little ice time, when they are both producing at a high level. Anyway, try to go easy on me, I'm just as frustrated as most posters around here

Reactions: JacketsDavid

jaxfan45385

Oct 29, 2007
I have not been a fan of Torts from the beginning. His style of play is not meant for today's NHL. Just like Hitch, the game has past them buy. I don't exactly remember what Torts said last year in a interview, but he should have been fired after it. He made another comment last night that should tell you all what you need to know.

During the in game interview he was asked about the first line, his response "I let them wing it"... yes WING IT. You tell me one professional sport where a coach lets their players just "wing it".

cbjfan

Jul 4, 2002
Visit site
I know a lot has been made in this thread about Torts not coaching the offense and that the game is passing him by. CBJ is 12th in the NHL in goals scored so I don't see offense as the issue (other than it is not as consistent as it could be). Also, this team has the ability to play at a very high level as evidenced by the games previous to the game last night. But, they are so Jekyll and Hyde. Last night was if they regressed back to all of their bad habits and fears of failure. Perhaps that is to some degree coaching, but the players need to have some culpability as well.

Bottom line is that I don't think Torts should be fired, but I would not be surprised if he is if we don't make the playoffs. As the old saying goes, you can't fire the whole team.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
The best coach will always be the next one to win. It's no different than the backup QB...everyone wants them to play until they play and realize the team isn't any better with someone different. I certainly can't judge a coach by their skill set but I support Torts and think he's done great things. Hitch did as well. Would I like to see some different things.... of course but this team now wins more than they lose. Is the makeup their to do something in the playoffs? Every coach has fallen short of that feat.

Reactions: Monk

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
My first post to start this thread , Jan 2018, not mich has changed other than Bjorkstrand is finally playing more minutes , most nights .......

Seems like most gdt discussions are trending to this topic, and I'm sure I will get some flack for creating this thread, as the season is not blown yet, injuries are mounting, and we are still on pace for the playoffs. But , lets be real. Torts, has been brutally bad this season. Lines are mixed up nearly every game. Little to no adjustment, to the worst power play in the league . Giving players like Foligno, first line minutes, nearly every night, when his play has been brutal this season. Giving young players like Bjorkstrand, Milano, very little ice time, when they are both producing at a high level. Anyway, try to go easy on me, I'm just as frustrated as most posters around here
I still dont get this because what you are noting as issues are positives. Look at the recent streak that has us in the playoffs right now. Folignos line getting those minutes has sparked the team. Him and Dubi go out there and get all around the net and create tons of opportunities and get other lines amped up like the Jenner and Anderson lines. Bjorkstrand is literally being coached as perfectly as possible. His game has come leaps and bounds off the puck. He is all over the back check and he is being used as a weapon being deployed when we need him most and play Anderson and Cam for the more all around game where they can use their speed and be more effective. Torts has 0 to donqith the PP thats Larson. MSL has helped some and guess what... thats because Torts. Torts had finally got the lines together after fligs came back and the team dominated 6 games. This thread was dead that whole time because the Wennberg situation worked out thenway Torts handled it, the 4th line was dominating 1st lines, Bjorkstrand is having his best string of play of his career Bob shut out 3 of 5...

1 bad game isnt the reason to fire a coach. The whole team was tired playing their 4th in 6 on the road at a great team.

I have not been a fan of Torts from the beginning. His style of play is not meant for today's NHL. Just like Hitch, the game has past them buy. I don't exactly remember what Torts said last year in a interview, but he should have been fired after it. He made another comment last night that should tell you all what you need to know.

During the in game interview he was asked about the first line, his response "I let them wing it"... yes WING IT. You tell me one professional sport where a coach lets their players just "wing it".
Can we PLEASE hire you to GM!!!!??? PLEASE!!!!???? We should fire a guy because you dont like his interviews... the most honest and open coach in the f***ing league. He said they wing it because Duchene and Bread NEED to be able to skate with the puck and use their abilites to see the ice and find the open man. He doesnt believe in over coaching them and causing them to focis onncertain plays and maybe avoid being creative and he doesnt want to coach them against their strength...

Thats a crazy statement... fire him for a comment about being willong not to over coach 2 of the most creative players not only on the team but league wide. If he coaches them stictly into his system the fans would riot for basically throwing a wet blanket over the offense and putting out the fire.

Reactions: logan etherton

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
It coulda been Gallant but no way it was Hitch, just ask Cap'n! Remember the Ditch Hitch avatar?

If I was looking for hockey analysis it wouldn't be there. Why would I care about a "Ditch Hitch" avatar? Our fans never have evaluated his time here fairly.

Again, Hitch was our best head coach by a mile. The only reason Gallant is even mentioned is because he's had recent success, not because of anything he did as while in the CBJ employ.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I didn't say best, I said most successful.

Well that's not useful. That's just a matter of adding up wins and playoff performances. That's a reflection of more than just the HC, it's also reflection of improvements in the FO and the team they have managed to give to the HC.

In the long run, Hitch was ultimately just a successful in one important regard. He took the team to the playoffs and lost in the first round. While we're returning more consistently, we aren't getting much better results with night and day better rosters than the 2008-9 team.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If I was looking for hockey analysis it wouldn't be there. Why would I care about a "Ditch Hitch" avatar? Our fans never have evaluated his time here fairly.

Again, Hitch was our best head coach by a mile. The only reason Gallant is even mentioned is because he's had recent success, not because of anything he did as while in the CBJ employ.
In my defense, when I mentioned his name, I thought it was an obvious joke.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

I was making fun of the entire Ditch Hitch crap, Capn and making a joke about our coaches. I thought that mentioning Arniel as well as that poster was a dead giveaway.

In my defense, when I mentioned his name, I thought it was an obvious joke.

I thought you were making a joke using "revisionist history."

* Topic for another day, Did McLean's mismanagement make Gallant look less capable than he actually was in his time coaching the Jackets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad