THE Fire Torts Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
It's not without precedent. Both Hitchcock and Richards had time left on their contracts, and firing the coach for (at this point) drastically unmet expectations is not unheard of.

I agree, it's not unheard of to fire a coach with term left on his contract. However in Torts case now, he just signed that extension.... he's not going to get fired before the extension even kicks in....it's just not gonna happen.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I agree, it's not unheard of to fire a coach with term left on his contract. However in Torts case now, he just signed that extension.... he's not going to get fired before the extension even kicks in....it's just not gonna happen.

You seem pretty sure coaches don't get fired after signing extensions. I'm not so sure.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
No, I agree coaches can be fired after signing an extension....but in Torts' case specifically, his extension hasn't even kicked in yet.... that's why I believe he's not going to be fired anytime soon.

Reactions: We Want Ten

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
The Cleveland Browns were probably paying 3 or more there for a few years.

They're not keeping someone who is taking the team in a different direction than the plan. Not saying that is Torts but extension or not if the chance is there that the product is severely damaged and the bottom line affected they will pull the trigger and eat the money. If not then they don't give a fiddlers damn about winning .

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
No, I agree coaches can be fired after signing an extension....but in Torts' case specifically, his extension hasn't even kicked in yet.... that's why I believe he's not going to be fired anytime soon.

In general I would agree, but that’s because extensions are normally longer than one year. I think in fire/retain situations, it’s more about term remaining than the semantics of whether an extension has kicked in yet or not. And Torts only has one year remaining. That wouldn’t be that burdensome to ownership.

logan etherton

Mar 9, 2019
Gonna look real bad on the front office firing him after giving him an extension that they didn't have to give him. No guarantee of the next season didn't hurt Trotz last year best I recall.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Gonna look real bad on the front office firing him after giving him an extension that they didn't have to give him. No guarantee of the next season didn't hurt Trotz last year best I recall.

It was an unusual situation though, there was constant attention to the awkwardness of Trotz being halfway out the door.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
So , explain to me how Riley Nash can be a #2c , and even play top line duties when needed , for one of the best teams in the east Boston, coming off a season where he scored 15g and had 26a, come in under Torts , and his system , and now have 1g 9a. Did he all a sudden , upon signing here , forget how to play hockey ? Explain to me how Wiliam Karlsson can play 11 minutes a night here , put up a season of 6g 19a, for 25 points , leave Columbus , instantly developed #1c talent , puts up a season of 43g 35a, scores over 50 g including playoffs , and now is following that up with 22g 29a, and still has 8 games to go ?

We acquire Duchene and Dzingel , and all a sudden they look like average, to below average( In Dzingels case) players . Folks , that is a huge Coaching issue , and with Torts , you aren’t attracting any remotely top free agent , this summer, if he’s still here .

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I don't know what is he coaching, but it's not NHL hockey because they sure don't play it on the ice.

And issue is much deeper. Monsters are mess, since Bednar left, no help from there, Kenny McFaden shouldn't be anywhere near best league, let alone to coach skill, Jared Boll development coach?! Manny Lagace? Our "dear" i know 1 PP scheme Brad Larsen..?
I don't know who is responsible for hiring this personell but this is embarassing.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Whether we get the 8 seed or miss out it's going to end up the same. We gave up a 1st round pick, a couple 2nd, 4th round picks to load up on guys with expiring contracts.
I don't like Torts, not a big fan of Jarmo and the guy in charge (JD) has to bear some responsibility as well.
Our "great core" has led us to Jones playing nearly half the game and being ineffective with kind of load. Panarin being invisible for awhile.
It's bad right now.
As I started off getting the 8th seed is death wish against a rested Tampa team.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Torts has a track record that should be respected, but it needs to be honored good and bad. Everyone here knew he had a shelf life when hired because that is part of his record, it shouldn't be a surprise then that history is repeating itself. The fact he got a one year extension tells me the FO knew this was a possibility.

Extension or not, I think it's time to move on. Probably mid season next year after Bob, Bread, and Duchense are gone. Then the replacement HC will struggle with a depleted roster, and all the Tort fans will chime in "see it wasn't Torts" while completely ignoring the wasted roster Torts had this year.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Torts has a track record that should be respected, but it needs to be honored good and bad. Everyone here knew he had a shelf life when hired because that is part of his record, it shouldn't be a surprise then that history is repeating itself. The fact he got a one year extension tells me the FO knew this was a possibility.

Extension or not, I think it's time to move on. Probably mid season next year after Bob, Bread, and Duchense are gone. Then the replacement HC will struggle with a depleted roster, and all the Tort fans will chime in "see it wasn't Torts" while completely ignoring the wasted roster Torts had this year.
If Torts is coaching this team at any point next season, Jarmo is willfully trying to set back the team.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
If Torts is coaching this team at any point next season, Jarmo is willfully trying to set back the team.
I should clarify, I wanted Torts gone after his terrible job in game 3 last year. I just think the FO will ride him until at least some point next year. They seem to have to due to the extension.

Reactions: GoJackets1

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
To me they have to get rid of Torts or Duchene is gone. I think we still have a good chance at keeping Duchene. Dzingle will sign here, he seems happy to be back in college. Cam with his "new daddy" outlook on life will have influence over "new daddy" Duchene. But there has to be a coach here who can construct on offense or Duchene will be out the door. And if we lose both Bread (let's face it we have already lost him) and Duchene, we are cooked for years to come.

Reactions: GoJackets1

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Maylo makes a really interesting point that we have coaching problems thru-out the organization. And I still can't believe they renewed Larsen last year. Coaching is a big issue within the entire franchise.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
To me they have to get rid of Torts or Duchene is gone. I think we still have a good chance at keeping Duchene. Dzingle will sign here, he seems happy to be back in college. Cam with his "new daddy" outlook on life will have influence over "new daddy" Duchene. But there has to be a coach here who can construct on offense or Duchene will be out the door. And if we lose both Bread (let's face it we have already lost him) and Duchene, we are cooked for years to come.

Not 100% sure on Dzingle. His fiancée is an model/influencer and golfer. So hard to tell if they will want to be here long term with her ambitions. Yes he has ties to OSU and that helps and yes there are some great golf courses here in central ohio so it's possible but I wouldn't count on him wanting to be here.

Duchene will want to win. I tend to agree firing torts may help retain him, but at same time he may want greener pastures.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Not 100% sure on Dzingle. His fiancée is an model/influencer and golfer. So hard to tell if they will want to be here long term with her ambitions. Yes he has ties to OSU and that helps and yes there are some great golf courses here in central ohio so it's possible but I wouldn't count on him wanting to be here.

Duchene will want to win. I tend to agree firing torts may help retain him, but at same time he may want greener pastures.
Duchene s wife has family here , he is developing a close relationship with Cam , and Dzingel loves it here . Both will resign if Torts is sent packing . Let’s be realistic , this team has a great core , has some great players on the horizon , and has a ton of cap room

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
I can't believe I'm typing this, but I'd fully support a change now. I've been a supporter of Torts and think he's done a lot here, but this is a mess, and we can't change the players. There's a ton of talent, and a shakeup right now might be just the thing to motivate us to a five game series loss to Tampa.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Duchene s wife has family here , he is developing a close relationship with Cam , and Dzingel loves it here . Both will resign if Torts is sent packing . Let’s be realistic , this team has a great core , has some great players on the horizon , and has a ton of cap room

He also had family in Ottawa (Duchene). Again personally I have issues if we tie up 8 years and $8M+ on a guy who doesn't seem to do much except get his points (meaning teams underperform). By the stats he's a very good player. I'm just not sold he's who I build the franchise around.

Again just because you tell yourself they will want to be here doesn't make it so. I thought Dzingel would stay as well (when trade was made) until it was mentioned about his fiancée and her ambitions. Now could be a great opportunity if WBNS or someone would hire her as a sportscaster and she has done work with the golf show out of Cleveland w Jimmy Hanlin (on FSN), but just like Bread, it's a real good possibility that they could want to be somewhere else. Again the bottom line is Columbus is great for some people, but not great for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->