THE Fire Torts Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
This franchise IMO will not be paying a coach who they signed to a two year extension not to coach next year. I believe he will stay. He may be fired later next year but he survives this year.

Well yeah, there is no hope after Kekalainen last interview, he put the blame on players. It's all them, not "working hard enough".

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
We should have fired Torts after last year's playoff loss.

Now we are not even in playoff position this season.

If we had replaced Torts we'd be in second place in the Metro at the very least.

Not doing things comes back to bite you in the behind very often.

Remember when the Bengals decided to keep Marvin Lewis after the way they lost to the Steelers in a 2015 postseason game? That also didn't turn out well, they missed the playoffs the next three seasons under his watch, only after the third miss in a row did they finally get rid of him.

The Blue Jackets have a chance to learn from the Bengals' mistakes. If we miss the playoffs they should get rid of Torts.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Well yeah, there is no hope after Kekalainen last interview, he put the blame on players. It's all them, not "working hard enough".

If you’re referring to Portzline’s Athletic interview, I actually came away thinking Torts is likely gone if they miss the playoffs. Jarmo was adamant he wouldn’t fire him before the end of the season, but also didn’t even give him the “vote of confidence” or anything insinuating he’ll be back next year for sure.

213 Sentinel

Jul 2, 2006
Marysville, Ohio
We should have fired Torts after last year's playoff loss.

Now we are not even in playoff position this season.

If we had replaced Torts we'd be in second place in the Metro at the very least.

Not doing things comes back to bite you in the behind very often.

Remember when the Bengals decided to keep Marvin Lewis after the way they lost to the Steelers in a 2015 postseason game? That also didn't turn out well, they missed the playoffs the next three seasons under his watch, only after the third miss in a row did they finally get rid of him.

The Blue Jackets have a chance to learn from the Bengals' mistakes. If we miss the playoffs they should get rid of Torts.

Honestly, he needs to be replaced even if we get in and fail to reach the second round. This team was constructed at the deadline to do that.

We've had a barely-mediocre team for so long our standard for success has suffered.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
If you’re referring to Portzline’s Athletic interview, I actually came away thinking Torts is likely gone if they miss the playoffs. Jarmo was adamant he wouldn’t fire him before the end of the season, but also didn’t even give him the “vote of confidence” or anything insinuating he’ll be back next year for sure.
It's interesting to see different perceptions of that article. Maybe it's language barrier? But there was another interview with him, after that horrendous Devils game, and he was echoing Torts there too. "Play our game, play better, try harder." Man has extended Larsen after all.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's interesting to see different perceptions of that article. Maybe it's language barrier? But there was another interview with him, after that horrendous Devils game, and he was echoing Torts there too. "Play our game, play better, try harder." Man has extended Larsen after all.

I'm not expecting Jarmo to sound any different until after Torts is canned. They have to back him up 100% as long as he's the coach.

Reactions: CarolinaBlueJacket

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
The extension to Larsen is still a head scratcher. The man did. nothing to earn it.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I think the only thing that is clear from that Jarmo interview is that Jarmo will not can him during this stretch run. Beyond that, it does not seem to me that Jarmo is leading in any particular direction. And that could be bad news for Torts. I like Torts personally. But I really think he has taken the team as far as he is able to move them.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

Can't let facts from someone who knows what they're talking about get in the way of our little thread here.

It absolutely is about effort. The last two games should tell everyone that - but no...the experts have spoken! fire torts! why? because we don't know enough to suggest anything else! What a gong show pro sports fans can be sometimes.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Can't let facts from someone who knows what they're talking about get in the way of our little thread here.

It absolutely is about effort. The last two games should tell everyone that - but no...the experts have spoken! fire torts! why? because we don't know enough to suggest anything else! What a gong show pro sports fans can be sometimes.

Seems like the good old day of "the answer is in the room".

To me it comes down to an old school coach and a GM who is playing fantasy hockey (all we need is a little more offense so let me add these 2 top 6 forwards, without considering their style of play). If Jarmo had talked to Torts about it in advance it would be interesting to see if both moves would have been made (Duchene and Dzingel). Both interesting that Dzingel would be more likely to sign long term (with OSU ties) but Duchene was much more needed (a center).

Reactions: logan etherton

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

My GM and Coach do or die. Forever may they live! What a crock.

Part of a coach's job is to make sure his team is giving the effort necessary to win on a consistent basis. Haven't seen that from the Jackets so obviously it is the players who are at fault not the line scrambling, riding guys who can't score while benching offensive talent, doesn't coach offense, can't figure out a power play, uneven tempered coach.

Reactions: logan etherton

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
My GM and Coach do or die. Forever may they live! What a crock.

Part of a coach's job is to make sure his team is giving the effort necessary to win on a consistent basis. Haven't seen that from the Jackets so obviously it is the players who are at fault not the line scrambling, riding guys who can't score while benching offensive talent, doesn't coach offense, can't figure out a power play, uneven tempered coach.

Which players do you see as not putting in enough effort?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I wasn't necessarily keying in on effort. That originated in one of the original posts. I think I should have said "making sure his team is ready to play every night" which I think has not been the case Let's say that Panarin is a guy who has slacked off in the effort department. Other than that there are guys who aren't scoring (Cam, PLD, Werenski, Jones) but I can't say there is a lack of individual effort.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I wasn't necessarily keying in on effort. That originated in one of the original posts. I think I should have said "making sure his team is ready to play every night" which I think has not been the case Let's say that Panarin is a guy who has slacked off in the effort department. Other than that there are guys who aren't scoring (Cam, PLD, Werenski, Jones) but I can't say there is a lack of individual effort.

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. That makes more sense to me for sure.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I mean Im about to go off on this guy guy Im tired pf his malarkey!!!!!!

#1 He is giving too much time to guys like Fligs and Dubo who cant contribute anything to the team.

#2 He benches a guy we had plans for as our 1C when he is playing bad for guys like Riley Nash!!! Who would have figured that he would fight back and get back to playing his best games of the season... that was purely coincidence nothing to do with Torts asinine management.

#3 wasting Bjorkstrand clearly has no idea how to play him he is wasting away on a third line role... hiw can we expect him to score?!?!

#4 His coaching style has left the game there is no place for it... no idea how to coach offense in todays game. Going to be stuck scoring less then 5 goals a game against playoff caliber teams all year...

#5 Who would figure our game would improve after finally getting comfy after the TDL, getting Fligs back from serious family issues, and figuring out the D pairings after losing the rock that was Murray all year... not f***ing Torts!!! He lost the team and they are winning to lose him his job... dont believe me?! They watched The major league movies recently and know that winning actually hurts management.

Sorry the anger about his incompetence was boiling over.

Reactions: SuperGenius

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
LeBrun: Ralph Krueger would consider a return to the NHL but...
Ever since he stole the coaching spotlight at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey while leading Team Europe, many have wondered if Ralph Krueger would ever be back behind an NHL bench.

Turns out we’ve been asking the wrong question.

A return to the NHL? Perhaps one day, Krueger told me on Monday. But likely not behind the bench.

[...]

Which is to say if Krueger re-emerges in the NHL it would make sense for it to be as a team president or president of hockey operations.

Well, that does it. We have to keep Torts forever.

:cry:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
If we ever lose Torts we need a Trotz/Bowman. I dont want to play Euro hockey. Part of what took me from casual to hardcore fan is when we got fligs and dubi. My favorite players pre Torts era were Dorsett Calvert and Bass. I love hard hitting tight defense blue collar hockey. If we turn into a dangling 2010/11 Canucks team that had only Kes and KB3 for toughness it will suck to watch. I like hockey over sports like basketball and soccer because toughness if we turn euro I will be sad.

Reactions: RickS

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If we ever lose Torts we need a Trotz/Bowman. I dont want to play Euro hockey. Part of what took me from casual to hardcore fan is when we got fligs and dubi. My favorite players pre Torts era were Dorsett Calvert and Bass. I love hard hitting tight defense blue collar hockey. If we turn into a dangling 2010/11 Canucks team that had only Kes and KB3 for toughness it will suck to watch. I like hockey over sports like basketball and soccer because toughness if we turn euro I will be sad.

Guess you wouldn't be happy as a Lightning fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad