THE Fire Torts Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
I would think Tortorella's psycho tricks approach benefits from a minor crisis. Of course it it helps the team also to now have the one remaining pillar of passing in Wennberg back in the line-up.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
All the moves will be judged more on if they stay.
I've said I'm not a fan of Duchene. TO me he stuffs the stat sheet but doesn't help teams win. I don't think's he's a primadonna or cancer, but I just wasn't terribly excited about him.
I liked the OSU ties to Dzingel and think he will stay.

But if we get into playoffs and get bounced in first round (or don't make it at all) and then lose Bob, Bread and Duchene I think a lot of questions need asked. Torts first, maybe Jarmo as well.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
He'll be the sacrificial lamb once the team implodes. Jarmo will need to save his own skin. It will be deserved, however Torts was a good thing for this team.

The coach has been the sacrificial lamb for FO several times for this franchise. The problem is coaches don't hire themselves. Look deeper as to the "whys" he was hired.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Duchene and Dzingel had chemistry together. When I saw those two broken up I had to scratch my head and think, "Why break up that bit of chemistry you DO have when the team will be affected enough as it is"? They'd get back on their games soon enough.

I find that an unwise move by such a veteran coach.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Has anyone noticed that the last few games we have played, that every team has went to a stragety of trapping our defenseman, and slowing down the outlet passing. Most days I wonder what Torts actually does ? He doesnt coach offense, he doesnt scout the opponent, or game plan to take away their weakness. His line management is brutal. We bring in 2 highly skilled guys in Duchene, and Dzingel, and after yesterdays game, Torts admits hes having them focus on playing different away from the puck. Its like the dude has to mold every skilled played into a clone of Nick Foligno, to the point that their offense suffers badly. I mean now after 2 years, were seeing Bjorkstrand finally getting his confidence back. Wennberg focus so much on being a Torts player, that hes become a 4th line center at this point in his career. How does the front office not see this crap ?

Reactions: Madifer

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
#6 isn't relevant here, and #7 isn't either - before anyone brings up Milano, I would offer Dubois and the recent play of Bjorkstrand as counterpoints. (And let's not even get started with Duclair; that's all on Duclair himself.) There are certainly some worrisome parallels elsewhere in that list, tho.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Has anyone noticed that the last few games we have played, that every team has went to a stragety of trapping our defenseman, and slowing down the outlet passing. Most days I wonder what Torts actually does ? He doesnt coach offense, he doesnt scout the opponent, or game plan to take away their weakness.

My main issue with Torts is that teams have learned how to beat the Jackets. The only way the Jackets can win is by individual effort to outplay the opponent and capitalize on mistakes. That's got to wear on the players to go to the rink and know the other team knows exactly how to beat you so you have to outplay them and not make mistakes. That can work for a game or two, but with all small injuries going through the season it must be mentally draining.

Reactions: Madifer

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
I'm not calling for his firing yet, but I'll readily admit I'm very close to it. These last few games have been absolutely atrocious, even by the standards of this team's past history. It's just Not Okay.

you know very well that the time is now and you know in which sense.

A new, preferably considerably younger coach may have a different approach and the team usually gets a boost under a new coach, at least for a while.

I rq watching the game against the oilers, yesterday was a bit better but still, "just no".

if you go all in then go all in imo

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
#6 isn't relevant here, and #7 isn't either - before anyone brings up Milano, I would offer Dubois and the recent play of Bjorkstrand as counterpoints. (And let's not even get started with Duclair; that's all on Duclair himself.) There are certainly some worrisome parallels elsewhere in that list, tho.
6 isn't relevant? How many goals were screened or deflected of our own D this season alone?
No sliding on the ice? Savard does only that.

And how many minutes Bjorky got with his recent improved play?
score a goal? - get less ice time!
bj.jpg

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I figured he would be gone today. I think it's time. I'm maybe the only Pens fan in the world who likes Torts for what it's worth.

No sense in firing Jarmo unless they miss the playoffs.

My thoughts as someone looking in from the outside.

Reactions: Madifer and stevo61

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Id disagree about point 7 completely. A small stretch from Bjorkstrand now doent make me think its because of Torts but more despite Torts. Hes all over the map with holding people accountable. Dubois can take multiple careless penalties or see his effort level go up and down but because hes big and a big more physical he gets a pass but skill guys are forced to play scared to make a mistake. Kreider and Zucc went through it and now Bjorkstrand/Milano have gone/going through it.
I personally think hes terrible at bringing skill out of young guys and wanted Torts gone the past2 offseasons. Ive always said he was a needed foundation guy to get things pointed in the right direction but will never be more than that

Reactions: The Bread Man

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Has anyone noticed that the last few games we have played, that every team has went to a stragety of trapping our defenseman, and slowing down the outlet passing. Most days I wonder what Torts actually does ? He doesnt coach offense, he doesnt scout the opponent, or game plan to take away their weakness. His line management is brutal. We bring in 2 highly skilled guys in Duchene, and Dzingel, and after yesterdays game, Torts admits hes having them focus on playing different away from the puck. Its like the dude has to mold every skilled played into a clone of Nick Foligno, to the point that their offense suffers badly. I mean now after 2 years, were seeing Bjorkstrand finally getting his confidence back. Wennberg focus so much on being a Torts player, that hes become a 4th line center at this point in his career. How does the front office not see this crap ?
**cough cough William Karlsson

Reactions: The Bread Man

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Id disagree about point 7 completely. A small stretch from Bjorkstrand now doent make me think its because of Torts but more despite Torts. Hes all over the map with holding people accountable. Dubois can take multiple careless penalties or see his effort level go up and down but because hes big and a big more physical he gets a pass but skill guys are forced to play scared to make a mistake. Kreider and Zucc went through it and now Bjorkstrand/Milano have gone/going through it.
There's a bit of a flaw with your argument - Kreider's play style is very much based on being big and physical. He's a "skill guy" the same way Anderson is.

* * *​
**cough cough William Karlsson
trouble.gif

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I don’t see Torts going anywhere seeing as he signed an extension for two more years. I think it is through 20-21. Maybe he is gone the end of next year but I don’t see the organization paying for two head coaches.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Torts day of reckoning will come, but it won’t be during this season. And while I’m not one he’s happy with him, I don’t think it should come at this point of the season.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Bjorkstrand looked all world until Torts chewed up his game in the press , then jerked his minutes around for the next year . Now almost 2 yrs later , he’s finally looking like his old self . So yeah , I wouldn’t be using Bjork to prove your point . Not to mention that Torts totally squandered William Karlsson , with his stupid check first mindset , only for him to leave here , become a #1 C and score 50 last year . And then there’s Wennberg , another Center that Torts has ruined his confidence , turned him into a checking center . I would say that article nailed every point

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Bjorkstrand looked all world until Torts chewed up his game in the press , then jerked his minutes around for the next year . Now almost 2 yrs later , he’s finally looking like his old self . So yeah , I wouldn’t be using Bjork to prove your point . Not to mention that Torts totally squandered William Karlsson , with his stupid check first mindset , only for him to leave here , become a #1 C and score 50 last year . And then there’s Wennberg , another Center that Torts has ruined his confidence , turned him into a checking center . I would say that article nailed every point
Bjorkstrand looked all-world in the AHL, not the NHL; he's only started to look really good everywhere in the last couple weeks (and it's awesome to see). Not too shocking, seeing as though the book on him was "he takes some time to adjust to each new level, but once he does, watch out." And I thought the book on Wennberg was that he was overconfident in his game and unwilling to adjust.

And nobody saw William Karlsson coming; holding that against Torts is asinine.

Seriously, guys. There's enough problems that are real and exist without fabricating additional ones.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Duchene scored 5 points in his first 20 games with the Sens. If he does something similar here, is it on the coach or the player? And what does that say about the guy who traded for Duchene with about 20 games left in the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad