THE Fire Torts Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Anyone else worried that the players and coaches are doing too many commercials?

I mean, look at what happened to Dubinsky. He experienced Meyers Jewelers and he hasn't been the same since.
ẻ̷̲̝̹̇̊x̶̳̀̀p̴̧̠̼̈̆̚e̶̯͕̮͂̕r̴̙͝ḭ̶͓́ẽ̸̢̢̮͛͠ń̵̹̊̄c̵̟͠ḛ̸̎̿͝ ̴̻̘̈́͝ͅm̸̡̧̱̓è̷͍̏̚ŷ̷͕̤̒͜é̴̻͔͓r̸̡̀͂̕ŝ̷̺̥͎̈ ̸̤̪̱̄̆͊j̸͉͊̕e̸̢̝̻͑ẅ̸̼̤̻́́l̴͕̽̚͝ẽ̴̬̇̕r̸͓̦̪̒ş̵̤̕

Reactions: Johansen2Foligno

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Bjorkstrand looked all-world in the AHL, not the NHL; he's only started to look really good everywhere in the last couple weeks (and it's awesome to see). Not too shocking, seeing as though the book on him was "he takes some time to adjust to each new level, but once he does, watch out." And I thought the book on Wennberg was that he was overconfident in his game and unwilling to adjust.

And nobody saw William Karlsson coming; holding that against Torts is asinine.

Seriously, guys. There's enough problems that are real and exist without fabricating additional ones.
Bjork is playing at a high level currently after hitting a tough valley. But don’t forget that in the first half of his first full season, he was among the league leaders in points/60 and held a good +/- number....I admit he’s hit a new level but it might have happened sooner if playing with skilled guys and not getting yanked on the first error.

Reactions: The Bread Man

KnockHobbler

Sep 13, 2018
Sens fan here. Dzingle is a one dimensional forward that thrived due to Ottawa's lack of depth. His and Duchene's speed work well together, otherwise Dzingle is kinda MIA.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Bjork is playing at a high level currently after hitting a tough valley. But don’t forget that in the first half of his first full season, he was among the league leaders in points/60 and held a good +/- number....I admit he’s hit a new level but it might have happened sooner if playing with skilled guys and not getting yanked on the first error.
Yeah, and he had all the backchecking instinct of Anthony Duclair. I was willing to semi-forgive it because he was outproducing his mistakes at first, but as soon as it slipped... :shakehead

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Tortorella has been hand cuffed by Blue Jacket Management... Per contract he can't speak... If he had his way Bobrovsky would have been benched months ago... Example, the February 18 game vs Tampa when everyone in the world said Bob would start but he was benched for Korpisalo..

Torts is getting old but he's the best we have ever had behind the bench... Fire Bob first then assess Torts...

Reactions: We Want Ten

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
* * *​

trouble.gif
He scored 6 and 9 goals in his two full seasons here. He has scored 43 and 19 goals in less than two full seasons there. Even if you discount his 43 goal year (which you should as it is clearly an anomaly) his stats show he was clearly misused here which goes along with the theme of the thread since the TDL. Torts misuses players, or over plays others. Or doesn't play them at all, or... whatever. You get the idea.

Besides, some paddling is ok...:sarcasm:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He scored 6 and 9 goals in his two full seasons here. He has scored 43 and 19 goals in less than two full seasons there. Even if you discount his 43 goal year (which you should as it is clearly an anomaly) his stats show he was clearly misused here which goes along with the theme of the thread since the TDL. Torts misuses players, or over plays others. Or doesn't play them at all, or... whatever. You get the idea.

Besides, some paddling is ok...:sarcasm:

Yeah we've talked about this and no we're not in agreement that Karlsson was misused here. He was playing ~14 minutes a night consistently despite not scoring for dozens of games at a time. Yes, Torts could have put him on the top line or something, but that would have been a bizarre decision based on the information we had at the time.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Yeah we've talked about this and no we're not in agreement that Karlsson was misused here. He was playing ~14 minutes a night consistently despite not scoring for dozens of games at a time. Yes, Torts could have put him on the top line or something, but that would have been a bizarre decision based on the information we had at the time.
Clearly he just got better when he traveled west then.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
You say discount the anomaly year but we wouldn't be having this conversation if not for that anomaly year. His performance this year is nothing special. His scoring rate - 1.57 P/60 - would figure in the Jackets bottom six.
19g and 22 a is nothing to sneeze about , following a 50 g season . In Torts check first , cover for the constant rover jumping up on D , he was 6 and 19, eerily similiar to what Wennberg is becoming under Torts if you add 4 more goals to Wennberg :help:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
You say discount the anomaly year but we wouldn't be having this conversation if not for that anomaly year. His performance this year is nothing special. His scoring rate - 1.57 P/60 - would figure in the Jackets bottom six.
He would have been our 2nd best center prior to trade deadline offensively.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
19g and 22 a is nothing to sneeze about , following a 50 g season . In Torts check first , cover for the constant rover jumping up on D , he was 6 and 19, eerily similiar to what Wennberg is becoming under Torts if you add 4 more goals to Wennberg :help:

It really actually is "sneezeworthy" for a player getting #1C minutes and top PP time. Look where a 1.57 P/60 would fit on the Jackets, 8th, in between Foligno and Duclair. That's bottom six for the Jackets.

zelbell

Oct 6, 2014
Columbus
How does Torts expect any of our lines to create any chemistry when he’s changing them 3 minutes into the game?

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Adding this from the GDT as it seems the appropriate thread.

As most of you know, I have been critical of Torts during the year. However at no time have I called for Torts to be fired. Not this year, last year, anytime......That has finally changed. I am officially in the camp of Torts should be fired.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Adding this from the GDT as it seems the appropriate thread.

As most of you know, I have been critical of Torts during the year. However at no time have I called for Torts to be fired. Not this year, last year, anytime......That has finally changed. I am officially in the camp of Torts should be fired.

Yeah, same. I'm not worried though, once the season ends he will be the sacrificial lamb in the kickoff of the rebuild.

He did a lot of good things here, and deserves credit for that. More good things than bad, but he was a reason why this roster was hamstrung along the way here. The players on the roster deserve most of the blame, and those casualties will come via UFA, but the coach is the one who will take the fall for the organization. It's time to go.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I am so sick of hearing Torts say he does not know what is wrong, as he said again last nite. Guess what Torts? If you don't know what is going wrong, start studying the game tapes to see what is going wrong. You are a gosh darn NHL head coach. You are supposed to be able to watch film and figure it out. And if you can't do that, maybe it is time to step aside.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I am so sick of hearing Torts say he does not know what is wrong, as he said again last nite. Guess what Torts? If you don't know what is going wrong, start studying the game tapes to see what is going wrong. You are a gosh darn NHL head coach. You are supposed to be able to watch film and figure it out. And if you can't do that, maybe it is time to step aside.

When Hitch started saying that is when I started calling for him to be out. So maybe I'm on board with "Fire Torts"?

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Truthfully, I feel like the CBJ have been playing poorly for a significant portion of the season. You would have an impossible time convincing me that the team has improved from last season. The difference is now, added on to poor play (whether due to systems, effort, whatever), we have chemistry issues and nervousness. And other teams have stepped up their game where ours has been stagnant/worsening over a two year period. That could be due to a lack of player development, or a system that's inferior to other teams in the league, or both. Either is bad, and I think we're seeing some desperation from Torts with the line blending and "not knowing what's wrong". It's time for him to go, especially if he's out of ideas. The strongest indictment I have on Torts' handling of the deadline situation is that the first issue was "lack of familiarity/chemistry". So what is his fix? To switch up the lines every goddamn game since then. It should be common sense that line blending will do more harm than good, and it has. But my God, the players simply played like dogshit last night. Nobody could handle the puck, receive a pass, or anything. It was just brutal. That might not be on Torts, but I think he's probably exacerbating the problems rather than helping to soothe them.

It's a damn shame that Jarmo's big moves will probably be for nothing.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I agree that line shifting is the last thing a coach should do when there are "chemistry" issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->