THE Fire Torts Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Would giving it to Coach Shaw as an interim be enough stability?

I don't like the appearance of changing coaches after that trade deadline, it looks like flailing around, but this is two years going downhill now, where the team structure has seemed to erode. They look like a team that isn't in sync with the coach. I'd make the change now rather than waiting for summer.
As much as I'm not a fan of Shaw... I could be OK with giving him the remaining games. Gives a lot more stability than brining someone completely new in from the outside.

Also gives us a nice look at if he's HC material or not.

Most importantly its a huge wake up call to those in the room.

AZRoadRunner

CBJ Tucson
Mar 29, 2014
Arizona
So the FO gives Torts two new top-six forwards - which has a ripple effect thruout the lineup - and everyone expects everything to just gel. I'm not a Torts fan, but even Scotty Bowman couldn't turn this around at this point in the season. It was a hell of a gamble on the part of Jarmo and it's looking foolhardy now, but everyone is quick to blame Torts. I suggest folks train their sights on the FO. Does anyone really expect Jarmo to compound this clusterf*ck by firing the head coach now? It would be a blatant and embarrassing admission that Jarmo completely misread this - with absolutely no guarantee that the season is salvageable with another coach.

Reactions: koteka

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So the FO gives Torts two new top-six forwards - which has a ripple effect thruout the lineup - and everyone expects everything to just gel. I'm not a Torts fan, but even Scotty Bowman couldn't turn this around at this point in the season. It was a hell of a gamble on the part of Jarmo and it's looking foolhardy now, but everyone is quick to blame Torts. I suggest folks train their sights on the FO. Does anyone really expect Jarmo to compound this clusterf*ck by firing the head coach now? It would be a blatant and embarrassing admission that Jarmo completely misread this - with absolutely no guarantee that the season is salvageable with another coach.

It would certainly be read as Jarmo flailing around desperately.

For me personally I would do it because Torts has run out of rope for me already. The team has been losing more and more of it's cohesion for two years now. I don't think the FO has that view of Torts (I highly doubt JD does), and so I doubt they would do it. Recent frustrations aren't enough to make a move of that magnitude, you have to have the view that this has been a growing problem for a long time.

I don't agree with you that Scotty Bowman couldn't have turned this around. It's a pretty good lineup at every position and they don't need to reinvent how to play hockey here. It wouldn't require any massive new training, especially not if Coach Shaw took over. Teams frequently win under new coaches immediately, and not even just under good coaches.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
As much as I'm not a fan of Shaw... I could be OK with giving him the remaining games. Gives a lot more stability than brining someone completely new in from the outside.

Also gives us a nice look at if he's HC material or not.

Most importantly its a huge wake up call to those in the room.

I don't know if Coach Shaw is that good, there's a lot we don't see, but I'd like to know what there is to be not a fan of.

Here's what I see -
1) He has a bit of head coaching experience and a ton of assisting experience.
2) He's been credited with teaching them a lot, especially the D group. We've had a lot of D come in here and improve rapidly.
3) In interviews he calls out the tactical errors and shows a lot of insight into the matchups - he's not just a "get pucks deep" guy. If you want in-game adjustments, he's an improvement there.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
So let me understand this. Jarmo adds more firepower without giving up a roster player (let’s agree Duclair wasn’t a regular) and Torts can’t take advantage of the added skill which makes it Jarmo’s fault. Scotty Bowman would be licking his chops; Torts is asking why Jarmo didn’t add two more Dubinskys.

Last edited:

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
My guess is JD has the power when it does come time to make a coaching change,
unless ownership cleans house and gives all 3 of them a pink slip...no I don't expect that,
but you never know

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
So the FO gives Torts two new top-six forwards - which has a ripple effect thruout the lineup - and everyone expects everything to just gel.

I mentioned something along these lines in the GDT. I'm not sure I expected them to "gel" quickly, but I'm also fairly sure I didn't expect the team to struggle with effort. I don't put this (play since the deadline) on Torts shoulders really, I have other issues with him.

The response today will be telling.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Torts is still the best coach we ever had and there is no reason to panic because 2 games were lost 1 of which Bob was hot trash. If we miss the playoffs then have your conversation. Right now is kinda a joke...

Reactions: koteka

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Torts is still the best coach we ever had and there is no reason to panic because 2 games were lost 1 of which Bob was hot trash. If we miss the playoffs then have your conversation. Right now is kinda a joke...

Classic CBJ. Waiting until the world burns THEN take action. This team CANNOT miss the playoffs this season. It’s unfathomable. All steps must be taken to ensure it doesn’t happen. If the team can’t play the system and the coach refuses to change, what else can be done at this point?

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Personally, I'm not sure how management see's it anymore. Normally, I would think Tortorella would be assessed at the end of the season as he hasn't done a poor enough job on his own/through team's performance to justify getting kicked out at this point in the season in my opinion. Typically, you would see management wait it out a bit more as well, (until off-season).

But, I think this situations could very well need to be evaluated rather soon. I wouldn't necessarily have fired him after yesterday's awful appearance. I don't necessarily think it's fair that he be fired yet either. But, I think management's decision to go all-in should have changed the time-table on evaluating Torts. I think he needs to be evaluated awful soon if things get even worse around here (not that I'm rooting for it). Why? I don't want to play the waiting game in a year that management has went all-in to acquire Duchene, Dzingel for a move at the playoffs and then watch the team miss the playoffs because of an awful 1-2 week long stretch because we wanted to evaluate Torts in the off-season.

Simply put, I don't want to miss the playoffs this season. I won't be satisfied one bit knowing we went all in for the playoffs this year and were contempt to watch ourselves miss it, knowing full well we gave up a ton of assets to get us there.

So, I'd like management to evaluate the decision this upcoming week if we lose the next couple games heading into Pittsburgh.

Reactions: The Bread Man

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Classic CBJ. Waiting until the world burns THEN take action. This team CANNOT miss the playoffs this season. It’s unfathomable. All steps must be taken to ensure it doesn’t happen. If the team can’t play the system and the coach refuses to change, what else can be done at this point?
We have been in a playoff spot all year and because a couple bad games trying to figure out chemistry now the world burns? There is no reason to panic game to game or over 5 game span. Give the team 10 games to get adjusted to each other then start evaluating .

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
We have been in a playoff spot all year and because a couple bad games trying to figure out chemistry now the world burns? There is no reason to panic game to game or over 5 game span. Give the team 10 games to get adjusted to each other then start evaluating .

Wrong. The race is too tight, a 3-7 or 2-8 record means you miss the playoffs. With the investment management made at the deadline and this team seeing stretches of lackadaisical carefree play, 10 games is too much.

Do it now so you still have a chance.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Wrong. The race is too tight, a 3-7 or 2-8 record means you miss the playoffs. With the investment management made at the deadline and this team seeing stretches of lackadaisical carefree play, 10 games is too much.

Undoubtedly. If this game shows the same issues as yesterday, which would probably mean little to no attempt at adjustments or game planning from Torts, he should be done.

Reactions: Sore Loser

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014

So instead of giving new players time to gain chemistry we fire the coach and then have a team working on chemistry trying to deal with a new coach. And then the new players that came in that have been working incredibly hard to learn what torts wants now has to do a 180 and figure out a new coach while trying to figure out a 2nd new coach.

Genius.

Reactions: AZRoadRunner

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

Well “all year” means nothing , because we are currently not in a playoff spot. And also, if we are “all in” as Jarmo says, we are way past the “evaluation” stage. That’s what pro scouts are for, to pick the guys who should fit in seamlessly for the stretch run. Evaluation is for preseason. Not when you are in a playoff race. However it would be very CBJ of this club to do that.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
So instead of giving new players time to gain chemistry we fire the coach and then have a team working on chemistry trying to deal with a new coach. And then the new players that came in that have been working incredibly hard to learn what torts wants now has to do a 180 and figure out a new coach while trying to figure out a 2nd new coach.

Genius.
[MOD]

If you really think management is going to let this team continue to look disinterested in even playing the game, you really have no clue. They invested way too much for this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Well “all year” means nothing , because we are currently not in a playoff spot. And also, if we are “all in” as Jarmo says, we are way past the “evaluation” stage. That’s what pro scouts are for, to pick the guys who should fit in seamlessly for the stretch run. Evaluation is for preseason. Not when you are in a playoff race. However it would be very CBJ of this club to do that.
Jarmo has actually said we arent all in and he doesnt understand why people say that because he believes we have a good team regardless...

And we are 2 and 2 since getting Duchene i think? 500 isnt scortched earth

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
[MOD]

If you really think management is going to let this team continue to look disinterested in even playing the game, you really have no clue. They invested way too much for this year.
Personal shot? Should I have said brilliant? Great idea? It was just a sarcastic comment on the idea...

Last edited by a moderator:

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Jarmo has actually said we arent all in and he doesnt understand why people say that because he believes we have a good team regardless...

And we are 2 and 2 since getting Duchene i think? 500 isnt scortched earth

Quite frankly Jarmo is full of shit. He’s “all in” regardless of what he tells the media. You think John P is quibbling over semantics if this team misses the playoffs and has a whopping 2 draft picks next year?

Team is 1-2 since the deadline and have looked like ass every game. I also said IF they look like crap again tonight a firing should be considered. You ok with a loss tonight 4-0 again? What happens if they lay an egg in NJ? Still evaluating?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Quite frankly Jarmo is full of ****. He’s “all in” regardless of what he tells the media. You think John P is quibbling over semantics if this team misses the playoffs and has a whopping 2 draft picks next year?

Team is 1-2 since the deadline and have looked like ass every game. I also said IF they look like crap again tonight a firing should be considered. You ok with a loss tonight 4-0 again? What happens if they lay an egg in NJ? Still evaluating?
If they keep losing like that Id start calling up guys from the AHL to play because the players clearly arent working out. Torts cant go out there and score for them. And the organization still has Larson as a coach could they justify firing the best coach we ever had while keeping the worst assistant coach in the league who has handled the worst PP over 2 and a 1/2 seasons...

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
If they keep losing like that Id start calling up guys from the AHL to play because the players clearly arent working out. Torts cant go out there and score for them. And the organization still has Larson as a coach could they justify firing the best coach we ever had while keeping the worst assistant coach in the league who has handled the worst PP over 2 and a 1/2 seasons...
I'm not for dismissing Torts during the season. You're right Torts can't score goals. But your indictment of Larsen - accurate in my book - is an indictment of Torts as he should have the right or greatest influence on whether to hire or fire an assistant.

Your call for call-ups is purely reactionary and ironically out of character for you.

Reactions: mikeyp24
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad