The Fire John Hynes Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
I'm copying my post from another forum I frequent here:

So let me preface this long-winded post by saying.. I think it's pretty clear I'm on the "fire Hynes" bandwagon at this point.

But anyway - I think this horrific start can at least partly be attributed to circumstance:

- vs Jets: Team was rolling until Cory went down. I mean, the Jets had started to gather some momentum prior to his 'cramping' but imo if Cory stays healthy they probably win the game. Don't get me wrong, blowing a 4 goal lead in most circumstances is unacceptable but.. we can agree this is a somewhat unique instance.
Blackwood was clearly not mentally prepared to go in (not blaming him) and the team looked shellshocked.

- @ Sabres: Sabres home opener, team was buzzing. Also worth noting the Sabres were undefeated at the time and are currently leading their division at 4-0-1. Also the second game of a back-to-back against a fresh team in their building. Tough matchup to say the least.

- @ Flyers: This one is tough. Hard to justify the team not showing up, though it's worth mentioning the Flyers were undefeated in regulation going into the game... and they still are FWIW.

- vs. Oilers: Second game of a back-to-back against another undefeated team that's one of the hottest out of the gate.. and the Devils played a pretty good game overall. With a competent PK/PP this one's probably a hard fought W.

- @ Bruins: Home opener for the Bruins in a building where the Devils haven't had any success as of late. Don't know why the team even bothered travelling to be honest.

So, imo, this schedule thus far has been absolutely brutal for the Devils. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that any team with so many new faces is likely to stumble out of the gate.. and this first stretch has certainly done the team no favors.

I think, best case scenario, this team is probably 2-2-1 in the above games. And many people, myself included, would probably still be very upset with that record.

ALL THE ABOVE SAID - I think this is a perfect time to get rid of Hynes. Shero wasn't going to ditch his guy if the team was doing well despite the poor coaching.. this start gives Shero the justification to be like "Sorry bud, you tried but it's time to move on".

The team now has a 6 game homestand coming up, starting this afternoon against a so-so Panthers team:
- vs Panthers
- vs Rags
- vs Canucks
- vs Coyotes
- vs Lightning
- vs Flyers

If they don't walk away with at least 10 points I think I think you've got to can Hynes now or this team is probably too far out of the hunt by Thanksgiving to even be worried about the playoffs come 2020.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
but at the same time calling a team "undefeated" after playing only one game is misleading

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
On paper, the Jets team is not better than last year, the Sabres still kinda suck, the Flyers still have a ton of backend problems, the Oilers are still a bad team, and Boston is still really good.

It's not the most brutal schedule. This team should be 3-2/2-3, not 0-5

Reactions: BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
On paper, the Jets team is not better than last year, the Sabres still kinda suck, the Flyers still have a ton of backend problems, the Oilers are still a bad team, and Boston is still really good.

It's not the most brutal schedule. This team should be 3-2/2-3, not 0-5

Good post.
1200px-Pentothal_vintage_package_-_truth_serum.jpg

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
a team being bad last year does not automatically mean they are a bad team this year. otherwise why would anyone be so surprised or upset about our record so far?

the record should be better but if teams are winning and putting points on the board then so far, they are good

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Devils drop to #30 of #31 in The Score's power rankings.

I like the write-up though:

After an exciting summer, the new look Devils are the league's biggest disappointment. Is John Hynes the right man for the job? A new voice behind the bench could serve the club well.

Cosigning.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
if we lose 7 of the next 10, the playoffs are probably out of reach. if that’s the case, do we keep hynes for the rest of the year? first, i wouldn’t hate another top 5 draft pick, but second we’ll probably have more/better options to replace him after the season is over.

unless stevens is the next coach, i might be ok riding this out. obviously, i’d rather be in the playoffs than get another good pick, but what i don’t want is to piss half the year away, then charge back only to fall short of the 8 seed in the 2nd half

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Jesus yeah, 7 of the next 10.. like I said, 10 points minimum from this homestand or else I'd fire Hynes immediately.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I haven't been able to watch the last three games because of work but after today's start against FLA, whatever they work on, whatever the message is...it's not happening. If we win, I would still can him.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Probably?

If you start an NHL season 3-12, you are mathematically not making the playoffs.

You'd have to go something like 42 - 19 - 6, and even then that might not be enough.

i originally wrote 3 of 5, but i feel like that can still be recovered from. so i changed it to 7 of 10. that’s not really important, the point was 1) does ray like his coaching alternatives right now? boucher, grier on an interim basis (shudder), etc? if not, then i’d still hold off on canning him, let’s not make a change for the sake of change. and 2) the best case scenario is we barely miss the playoffs- do we really want that, draft pick-wise?

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
If you don't fire the coach after this debacle (yet again) you are basically saying you accept losing. Which is f***ing pathetic. So your move, shero. Either do the right thing or you are an embassment too as far as I'm concerned (and ive always been 100% pro shero)

Reactions: glenwo2 and Blender

Beetlebum

Oct 14, 2017
They won't let him keep Hynes forever but he could drag his feet till mid-November unless this thing really spirals out of control in record time.

Ownership doesn't care, the asset is in the Prudential Center, not the team. People need to wake up.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
If you don't fire the coach after this debacle (yet again) you are basically saying you accept losing. Which is ****ing pathetic. So your move, shero. Either do the right thing or you are an embassment too as far as I'm concerned (and ive always been 100% pro shero)

Or you’re putting analytics people who have never put on a jock strap in their lives in charge of everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad