The Fire John Hynes Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
You want the GM to have a contingency plan for firing the coaching staff 5 games into the season?

This is disingenuous. That they might have to make a coaching change if they got off to a bad start wasn’t something that was out of the realm of possibility in the offseason. Sure needing to pull the shoot 5 games in May have been unanticipated. But needing to make a change 15-20 games wasn’t.

They should have absolutely brought in a veteran coach with head coaching experience as an assistant or advisor at least.

Reactions: glenwo2

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
This is disingenuous. That they might have to make a coaching change if they got off to a bad start wasn’t something that was out of the realm of possibility in the offseason. Sure needing to pull the shoot 5 games in May have been unanticipated. But needing to make a change 15-20 games wasn’t.

They should have absolutely brought in a veteran coach with head coaching experience as an assistant or advisor at least.

It's not disingenuous. What sort of a plan is that? I know teams have done it but it means removing an assistant and adding someone who is used to being the top guy. If he doesn't get the job after a year, does he get hired elsewhere as a head coach? And what kind of a head coach is that guy going to be on a short leash? That to me is the biggest problem - this team still has a ton of young players on it. They don't need a coach who thinks every game is the last one.

Wysh had the best suggestion - wait for Boudreau to be fired.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
No one is playing well under Hynes' "system", and losing Hall for nothing because of failure to fire a floundering coach would be massive failure in asset management.

If you’re supposed to be the star of the team, you have to play like a star. If you want to make the playoffs, you need to play with desperation, you need to play like a leader, you need to gather the troops and have everyone pushing in the same direction, etc, etc, etc.

As of now, this team looks lifeless and I don’t see anyone, outside of Zajac, who’s had enough of this BS. He’s the only one I saw who showed some emotion.

Taylor Hall is a good player but I don’t think he’s the type of player you build your team around. I’m not saying he’s the main reason why the teams he’s played on we’re bottom feeders but one would think that there comes a point when you’re the common denominator, no?

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
If you’re supposed to be the star of the team, you have to play like a star. If you want to make the playoffs, you need to play with desperation, you need to play like a leader, you need to gather the troops and have everyone pushing in the same direction, etc, etc, etc.

As of now, this team looks lifeless and I don’t see anyone, outside of Zajac, who’s had enough of this BS. He’s the only one I saw who showed some emotion.

Taylor Hall is a good player but I don’t think he’s the type of player you build your team around. I’m not saying he’s the main reason why the teams he’s played on we’re bottom feeders but one would think that there comes a point when you’re the common denominator, no?
You are on a roll today! Great posts. Only one Devils player is looking for a 13% or so of cap contract. That player has to finish his breakaways, etc,

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

The season is indeed "not over".

As of today? No. But two more consecutive regulation losses & good luck making the playoffs.

This is not a team that's going to play .600 hockey from next week to April. It's just not. They'd need some sort of unlikely win streak of 8 games or something somewhere in there.

Reactions: glenwo2

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
its a rough start but declaring the season over in the first 3 weeks is a bit much. also wait until they play the next 2 games.... not sure what the point is of projecting the worst case scenario and acting as if it's already happened

Reactions: Darkauron

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
If Hall scored on either of the breakaways against EDM, we'd have a slightly different tone.

no we wouldn’t, because it still would have been a game where they blew three separate leads in short order. The warning signs would still be there. Same with had they won the S/O vs Winnipeg.

having said that the 2 points would be helpful.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
its a rough start but declaring the season over in the first 3 weeks is a bit much.

Depending on the start? It absolutely isnt.

If you go something like 2-7-1 in your first 10 games, it's just absurdly difficult to mathematically make the playoffs.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
no we wouldn’t, because it still would have been a game where they blew three separate leads in short order. The warning signs would still be there. Same with had they won the S/O vs Winnipeg.

having said that the 2 points would be helpful.

I wonder what Shero is thinking. But, I understand why he's not saying anything right now. Whatever he says won't be received well by the fan base.

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
bonk.gif

John Hynes when he gets mad his system isn’t working and changes the lines, like that will make the system work.

Reactions: Khione

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Depending on the start? It absolutely isnt.

If you go something like 2-7-1 in your first 10 games, it's just absurdly difficult to mathematically make the playoffs.

Just to put it into numbers, after a 2-7-1 start you'd need to capture in the area of 85 points over the remaining 72 games to have a shot at the playoffs. So a ~60% win/points rate. This would look something like 35-22-15 after going 2-7-1. That win percentage over the course of a full season would be the equivalent of a top 10 finish league wide.

Also note that's only 90 points. Last year Montreal missed with 96 points.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Then trade him. What I'm saying is Shero cannot afford to sit on his ass and do nothing while Hynes pisses the season away.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Also note that's only 90 points. Last year Montreal missed with 96 points.

Yup. You're not likely to make the playoffs at 90 points, last year was an anomaly. A 95 to 97 point bogey is more realistic. I believe the record low tally to get in is 87 points.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Yup. You're not likely to make the playoffs at 90 points, last year was an anomaly. A 95 to 97 point bogey is more realistic. I believe the record low tally to get in is 87 points.

87 is the lowest (excluding lockout year) since the shootout came into the league (2016 wild) . However that came in the 14-teams Western Conference where a higher percentage of teams made it. The second lowest total is 88 (2010 Flyers) in a 15-team conference.

The lowest total in the 16 team eastern conference is 93 points (Detroit in 14 & 16, Columbus in 14).

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The lowest total in the 16 team eastern conference is 93 points (Detroit in 14 & 16, Columbus in 14).

There you go.

And I hate to be the potential mathematical bearer of bad news, but my point was/is that the Devils are in a very precarious position right now and need to rattle off a few wins.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
and yeah, 5 points in 10 games is bad but it’s not the end of the of the season. it’s time to worry but it’s definitely not time to panic yet

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
have they gone 2-7-1 yet?

You said "it's a bit much" to declare someone's season over after 3 weeks. That's about 10 games.

So I pointed out that mathematically, no, it really isnt "a bit much" to all but declare a season over after 10 games if you put up X of a record.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
There you go.

And I hate to be the potential mathematical bearer of bad news, but my point was/is that the Devils are in a very precarious position right now and need to rattle off a few wins.
The math is pretty damning on its face, but the correlating issue is that there are multiple obstacles to a turnaround. This is not a team that has played remarkably but been snakebitten. Several core players don't even appear *close* to hitting stride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad