The Fallout

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I'm talking about AA, Mantha, Svech etc... the guys we drafted in hopes that they would be bigger pieces than they are right now.

There's no guarantee though that Ras, Zadina, Cholowski, Hronek, etc will pan out either. They were good choices where they were picked but sure fire things come about a few times every five years it seems. And those guys are picked first overall which isn't guaranteed to no team. The rest are very much an educated GUESS at best.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I laughed. But the hyperbole is incredible.

Sad thing, it's not e en a hyperbole. I remember a couple of seasons ago, a game we pretty much controlled from a to z and lost the game on some fluke balance or something. I wish I remembered which game it was because the bypolar effect in that thread was amazing. Nothing but praises the entire game to Babcock (at the time) and our players up until the loss and suddenly every player played a horrible game. Being rational isn't exactly a strengh ob these boards.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm talking about AA, Mantha, Svech etc... the guys we drafted in hopes that they would be bigger pieces than they are right now.

Well, those probably aren’t the guys who will drive the bus. Was probably always a long shot that they would be.

We add another center on par or (hopefully) better than Larkin, and all these wingers will start to look better.

Reactions: Winger98

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
1985-86 season was the worst season ever. We had a young Yzerman on the team then and now we have a young Larkin on the team. Hint hint. They went 0-9-1 in there 1st 10 games. And they lost all 9 games consecutively. Are we trying to tie that? Well the 2 pts we have could keep us from the worst start in Red Wings history.

I like him and I'd be happy to be wrong, but Larkin is no Steve Yzerman.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
*Hard eye roll*

It’s one thing to lose and look like a team poised to have the best lottery odds. It’s another to look like you literally don’t belong in the NHL in back-to-back games.
Yea I bet Buffalo and Edmonton and Vancouver never looked like they didn't belong in the NHL while they were going 20-50-12 on the season.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
The team played well enough to stave off any imminent changes in coaching last night.

The conversation may heat up again if they can't record a win in another 5 or 6 games. Certainly by the time Vancouver rolls out of town.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I know that. But the comparisons people kept making his rookie year because he scored so many goals at first reminded me.
Who scored so many goals? Larkin. Has. Never. Been. A. Goal. Scorer. He had 23 as his peak so far. That's a fine number, but its not a lot, and definitely not something someone should say 'so many' before.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Blashill was pretty upset at the post-game interview last night, suggesting no effort from vets and kids.

If there is no bounce back in performance in the next couple games, it would suggest the team has tuned him out. At that point, I would expect a coaching change....especially since this is a long stretch of home games.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Who scored so many goals? Larkin. Has. Never. Been. A. Goal. Scorer. He had 23 as his peak so far. That's a fine number, but its not a lot, and definitely not something someone should say 'so many' before.
I think they meant to say that he was on a torrid scoring PACE for a good chunk of his rookie season. But like you referenced, that's not really his overall game.

Once Larkin hits his peak (and has a little more talent around him), I could see him becoming a 25-45-70 kinda guy, but he's definitely heavier on the assists (which is fine).

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Honest question regarding Blashill: What benefit has he ever given this team? I didn't even realize this was his fourth season with Detroit because it feels like he has yet to really put his stamp on this team. Its just been year after year of nondescript hockey. The only identity I feel like we've ever had under him conveniently came with Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the roster.

But even looking past the team itself, I'm not sure what positive effects he's had on any one individual. Obviously we don't fully know what goes on behind locker room doors but I'm racking my brain trying to think of a time when one of our guys lauded Blashill for his influence or guidance. And I can't really point to anyone who has taken strides under Blashill that weren't anticipated. I just looked at the rosters for the past 3 seasons and this year and literally no one has improved under Blashill who didn't already hit the ground running with nothing more than a training camp or two under their belt (Larkin, Cholo, and Bert to a lesser extent). Everyone else is either stagnant or has disappointed. That goes for vets. That goes for goalies. That goes for low-expectation 20-somethings and highly touted young guys.

I get this roster doesn't have the most talent but Blashill has had 250+ NHL games to sculpt this team using the resources given to him and he's still got nothin'.

Reactions: The Flying Octopus

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Honest question regarding Blashill: What benefit has he ever given this team? I didn't even realize this was his fourth season with Detroit because it feels like he has yet to really put his stamp on this team. Its just been year after year of nondescript hockey. The only identity I feel like we've ever had under him conveniently came with Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the roster.

But even looking past the team itself, I'm not sure what positive effects he's had on any one individual. Obviously we don't fully know what goes on behind locker room doors but I'm racking my brain trying to think of a time when one of our guys lauded Blashill for his influence or guidance. And I can't really point to anyone who has taken strides under Blashill that weren't anticipated. I just looked at the rosters for the past 3 seasons and this year and literally no one has improved under Blashill who didn't already hit the ground running with nothing more than a training camp or two under their belt (Larkin, Cholo, and Bert to a lesser extent). Everyone else is either stagnant or has disappointed. That goes for vets. That goes for goalies. That goes for low-expectation 20-somethings and highly touted young guys.

I get this roster doesn't have the most talent but Blashill has had 250+ NHL games to sculpt this team using the resources given to him and he's still got nothin'.
I think Blashill is a coach who gets 9/10 results with a 9/10 roster, and 2/10 results with a 2/10 roster. So while he might last through this season, and the rumor is that even if Yzerman takes over, he likes Jeff...I would be surprised if he's the coach 12 months from now.

Like you said, there isn't a player (that we're aware of) who seems to have really grown as a result of his tutelage.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Not exactly on topic. Curious as to what an Abdelkader buy out would look like for us cap wise?
upload_2018-10-23_9-35-29.png

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Not exactly on topic. Curious as to what an Abdelkader buy out would look like for us cap wise?
He'll never be bought out so it honestly isn't worth even thinking about.

Wish I could get paid millions of dollars and not be held accountable for my shit effort because I can just say "I don't like the coach."

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
It is also the first time I seen the press be so aggressive in their questioning of Blashill and players. The reprieve after the Florida win might not last long.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Blashill needs to go. He is trying to be Babcock Jr. He sounds just like him and tries to play a chess game like Babs does but looks real bad doing it.
The vets need to be slowly weeded out as they have no link to the type flight wings. Abby has done nothing. DDK is a 5 million dollar pylon. Would rather keep Big E over DDK as Big E is a big body who can use it.
Blash needs to learn to let these guys play and quite messing with the lines so much. They cant get any fluid line combos or offense for that matter. Wonder if they go together. hmmm. He thinks he some great coach, but has done nothing on this level. He got lucky in his 2 years or so in GR, and would probably be better taking sometime and coaching OHL guys to find "himself" again. He could be a good coach, but not when you're trying to be a possible legend in Babcock.
Some of the issue isn't just with Blash but upper management. Why would you draft a guy like Mantha, big bodied sniper, then tell him go sit in front of the net and be a grinder?!? let him play his game and score. Don't care how, score. Be creative. He has a wicked shot, let him shoot.
I am hoping Blash is gone soon and Blysma will be a nice new voice but I don't think he's right for this team. He couldn't do anything with a rebuilding Buffalo team. I've been ready for 3-4 years for a new voice behind the bench and in the front office. Kenny should have listened to himself when he said he should retire at the same time Lidstrom does.
Some of these young guys should be playing and finding their way in a baptism by fire. They have to learn what it takes to make it here and to succeed. Not going to learn playing AHL hockey for 3 plus seasons.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Well, those probably aren’t the guys who will drive the bus. Was probably always a long shot that they would be.

We add another center on par or (hopefully) better than Larkin, and all these wingers will start to look better.
I agree. If you get Hughes or another bonafide 1C then the forwards start to look better. I've been willing for a few seasons now to trade Mantha to get a good young PMD. The problem with moving him right now is his value has to be pretty low. Athanasiou is maintaining good value with his point production but he's never been a guy I've been keen to move. I would if the right deal came along but I think he would absolutely tear it up on Veleno's wing next year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That deal will be bought out as planned as part of the next work stoppage.

I think this is overlooked, as is the fact that their clauses don't protect these guys from being left for the expansion draft. Seattle is going to have an ugly list to look at when the time comes. Helm's NTC is expiring this year for instance not that we wouldn't have left him unprotected for Seattle anyway as it is just a NTC, it becomes null and void when we miss the playoffs...

I think we will have some opportunity to shed a couple of these over the next 24 months before we are good again.

Gator is a hope for a compliance buyout scenario.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I don't get the whole, we gonna get Hughes deal cause the team is so bad.

The worst place team has less than 20% chance of getting the #1 pick.
If we finish with the worst record in the league we are assured of a top pick and will almost certainly get a 1C. This draft has a bunch of high quality talent at center. I just think we're gonna win the lottery.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
It is also the first time I seen the press be so aggressive in their questioning of Blashill and players. The reprieve after the Florida win might not last long.

I don't like it and think the focus is misguided. Hockey analysts across the board projected the Wings to have an even harder time than last season, what do our local journalists expect? Are they this cluless about the NHL and state of our team? What's the point of grilling Kronwall, Vanek, Blashill, etc. today about why they're so awful. What do you want them to say, we just suck?

If I was the owner I'd call for a sit-down with the team, management, coaches, and media. Completely shift the attitude toward the losses and rebuild in general. This is a sport and supposed to be fun. The enjoyment isn't only in wins and losses. Mention the positive things (if possible haha) and give credit to the skill of our competition. The unrealistic expectations are nothing but an unnecessary stress. I think in an instant they could pop this fabricated bubble, but it starts at the top (Holland) and by being honest about the situation.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad