The Fallout

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don't like it and think the focus is misguided. Hockey analysts across the board projected the Wings to have an even harder time than last season, what do our local journalists expect? Are they this cluless about the NHL and state of our team? What's the point of grilling Kronwall, Vanek, Blashill, etc. today about why they're so awful. What do you want them to say, we just suck?

If I was the owner I'd call for a sit-down with the team, management, coaches, and media. Completely shift the attitude toward the losses and rebuild in general. This is a sport and supposed to be fun. The enjoyment isn't only in wins and losses. Mention the positive things (if possible haha) and give credit to the skill of our competition. The unrealistic expectations are nothing but an unnecessary stress. I think in an instant they could pop this fabricated bubble, but it starts at the top (Holland) and by being honest about the situation.
I like your idea, but it's not like the organization is blameless. When you have a lack of talent, but for several years don't speak proactively to prioritizing the future, and instead cling to the angle of, "we're really close, but just need to work a little harder and catch a lucky bounce or two"...then you look really foolish when the bottom inevitably drops out altogether.

The poor effort of late by some players is inexcusable. But had the franchise gotten in front of this from a PR standpoint (along the lines of your suggestion), it would have been easier to manage.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
The media has been just fine. No shit they're gonna criticize the team when they lose 8-2 and then 7-3 back to back. No shit they were critical after being outshot a gazillion to 5 for most of the game last night.

After the loss to the Lightning the media was praising them for playing real well despite the loss. That's fair.

RoyalDoubleMcCheesie

Aug 31, 2008
Instead of buying out Abby why not place him on waivers and let him just troll around in the AHL until his contract it up? That way he isn't on the books fully and don't have to pay him until what 2028 if we bought him out.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Blashill was pretty upset at the post-game interview last night, suggesting no effort from vets and kids.

If there is no bounce back in performance in the next couple games, it would suggest the team has tuned him out. At that point, I would expect a coaching change....especially since this is a long stretch of home games.

He was tuned out two years ago. Trash is a coach that cannot get the best out of his players at the NHL level and isn't the coach we should have with young people.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Instead of buying out Abby why not place him on waivers and let him just troll around in the AHL until his contract it up? That way he isn't on the books fully and don't have to pay him until what 2028 if we bought him out.

Because he’s on the books for 3.35 million or something like that in that case for 5 years

Justin Abdelkader is not the problem and certainly is not worth over 3M in dead money. Just focus on making good moves and his contract will be inconsequential as you’ll eventually get someone who can bank goals over his ass into the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad