The Fallout

Discussion in 'Detroit Red Wings' started by NEWing, Oct 16, 2018.

1. NEWing

NEWing Registered User

I am starting to believe that Blashill will be gone by Monday if the team continues down this same road against Tampa and Florida. Two more poor showings and Holland will have to do something now that the media has turned critical.

My worst fear is that Holland will trade away draft pick(s) or prospects for a quick fix. I really don't think this will happen, but you never know what ownership demands are regarding filling seats now.

The other realization, this team will not be much better until the 2020 season when some of these new prospects are ready to join the team.

Nightmare on Helm St likes this.
  2. turkleton85

turkleton85 Registered User

this roster is obviously bad, but no team in the NHL should look as bad as this against a fellow "tanking" team. There is something wrong, because Montreals roster isn't much better than ours.

Tampa will destroy us, and the panthers always play very good against us (and are clearly more talented). I hope you are right...

3. jkutswings

jkutswings WTB defense

If Holland makes any kneejerk moves, the moment the local media start tossing anything more than softballs, then he has lost a lot more savvy than most of us expect him to have.

Welcome to rebuilding.

There's more ugly to come, and at this phase, it's the job of the front office to have a thick skin, and stay patient with the process. They can and should keep their eyes open for moves that improve the future of the team, but firing the coach 6-8 games into the season isn't one of them.

Now obviously, if special external circumstances happen, that could change things. Like if Chicago starts losing again, panicks, and fires Quennville. If that caliber of coach suddenly is available, and you think he's a good fit with the younger players here, ok, make that move. But otherwise, it should take a lot more than 2-3 bad losses for any significant shakeup.

odin1981 and avssuc like this.
  4. Datsyukian Deke

Datsyukian Deke Is Holland gone yet?

Blashill should have been gone 2 seasons ago if there were competent people in Front Office/Management. But when you change nothing from last year and bring it all back, the current dumpster fire is what you continue to get.

I can honestly say I was ready for the 2019 draft to get here already, prior to this season beginning. It's almost meaningless at this point, which is quite sad.

5. saska sault

saska sault Registered User

This season looks like a lost cause already... for the pure reason that some of the younger players haven't took the next step yet. I think they will, Ras and Zadina are barely out of high school.. they will make adjustments and get stronger and learn. Hronek and Cholo will continue to improve also.. there are reasons to enjoy the games and watch. It's just going to maybe take 40 or 50 games before we start seeing the real progress I believe.. we may still loose and get blown out but the major thing here is the youth development over the course of the season. I could care less how the vets do, they are no longer important in any other sense then helping us hit the cap floor.

6. TheOctopusKid

TheOctopusKid Registered User

With the direction of the team, it might serve us well to just let the personnel that we have run it's course this season as long as the kids are prioritized over the veterans and get ample ice time to develop. Would be hard to think of a high quality front office and coaching personnel who are immediately available right now who would want to take this over. It should be more about accepting this season as growing pains and development and trying to accumulate as many assets and flexibility as possible for a new regime to step in.

Assuming we trade the expiring of Goose and Vanek by TDL and nab some picks and/or prospects, and we finish in the bottom 3 of the league, plus Kronner and Howard coming off of the cap, we should be positioned well going into 2020 after the team cleans house from Holland and Blash after a failed season. Leaving a fine opening for Steve Yzerman to come home. So I guess in order:

1) Prioritize development of our young prospect players
    2) Trade Vanek and Nyquist for draft picks/prospects
    3) Hopefully get the top pick in the draft and draft Hughes (or a Top 3 pick and get a 1C or 1D upside prospect)
    4) Blash is released
    5) Holland "voluntarily" retires
    6) Steve Comes Home
    7) I feel good about the Wings for the first time in 5 years

DATSOMATIC13 likes this.
  7. Frk It

Frk It From Z to Z

Hopefully it’s as good as the games.

8. Frk It

Frk It From Z to Z

The media will be critical all year. This team is going to be bad, even if it has a different coach. That is just where we are.

There is no quick fix and Holland understands that (it’s plain as day).

If we’re lucky. Drafting Hughes would go a long ways towards making that happen.

9. turkleton85

turkleton85 Registered User

but wouldn't you prefer to watch a team that at least doesn't just roll over? It's still over 75 games left this season, what does that do to guys like larkin, who want to win? Give these guys a coach they respect and that does actually coach and teach

10. Filppula

Filppula Jurks

We all saw this coming years ago. Holland burried his head in the sand for far too long. He signed veterans to truly awful contracts. And this is what we’re left with. An absolute mess. 3-4 years away from any noticeable improvement.

Flowah and Datsyukian Deke like this.
  11. Sparty

Sparty Registered User

We're somewhere in between the first few games where we hung with Columbus, Toronto, Anaheim and LA and these last couple where we got blown out by Boston and Montreal. We have only had two home games and a bunch of different injuries. It's not going to get a lot better, but after Green and Erickson are back this team will improve some and get more conistent. Those guys aren't sexy, but you know what you're getting with them.

Everyone here said "play the kids", results be damned, well now we're forced to and this is what everyone wanted.

SirloinUB and jkutswings like this.
  12. NEWing

NEWing Registered User

People assume it is Holland pulling all the strings and making all the decisions. Chris I. has more input than people want to believe. Chris won't like continued negative headlines or an empty LCA. He is sensitive to the criticism, he just changed the seats to black.

13. Tiesgo2vets

Tiesgo2vets Registered User

I really dont get what you guys think firing Blashill will do. Is he the greatest coach, hell no. But this roster is awful. No coach will change this. If anything Holland should be fired first.

odin1981, avssuc, Shaman464 and 3 others like this.
  14. Filppula

Filppula Jurks

The kids aren’t to blame, they’ve been fine. I’d argue it’s the insipid play from Nielson, Vanek and Abdelkader that’s set the tone. Sadly 2 of the 3 are in the leadership group.

ealong59, odin1981, avssuc and 2 others like this.
  15. NEWing

NEWing Registered User

I don't think firing Blashill will help anything. But, that is what happens in professional sports when things get bad.

Ulysses31 and Tiesgo2vets like this.
  16. Frk It

Frk It From Z to Z

There’s no realistic/reasonable trades to pull off that drastically changes this team.

Illitch was quoted last week as saying the emphasis is on scouting, drafting, and development.

The first 2 games were very tight. Half of the defense is hurt. There are going to be some blowouts this year regardless who is coaching.

17. izlez

izlez Registered User

Surely, we just need to get some more kids some playing time

"there's no way they can be worse than what we have"

18. kliq

kliq Registered User

Its a re-build everyone, at times it gets ugly. I think people really underestimated what loosing Z would look like. This is what Holland was trying to avoid by keeping some vets around, obviously so far its not working. Oh well, loose for Houghes.

19. ricky0034

ricky0034 Registered User

some people STILL think the team wouldn't be better without Blashill? :laugh:

good lord what does the guy have to do to lose your faith? personally take the ice and score goals on our own net?

20. RedWingzz

RedWingzz #Lose_for_Hughes

I agree, Blashill needs to be let go to at least send a message that we are not ok with losing. Even though we are in a rebuild, and many losses are inevitable, management and ownership cannot send the message that "oh well, we are rebuilding, so we are ok with losing." Fans can say it all they want, management and ownership need to at least "pretend" like they are trying to ice a winning lineup.

Blashill has overstayed his welcome by 2 years now. Replace him immediately, and bring a new culture to the team. It is rather obvious these players (albeit, a terrible roster) are not motivated to play/compete/try for Blashill anymore. Get rid of him before this gets worse. Send a message that the Red Wings won't tolerate this garbage. I know we are injury-riddled, and have a bad roster to begin with, but you can't follow up an 8-2 loss with a 7-3 loss to another team that is projected to miss the playoffs...you just can't be ok with that.

21. jkutswings

jkutswings WTB defense

I'm not a fan of Jeff Blashill, but let me exaggerate to make a point:

If you assembled the best high school players in the world, had Scotty Bowman and Al Arbor coaching them, and had them play against an NHL All Star team...the kids would get destroyed 30-0.

If several players officially mail it in and no longer try, or there's an extended streak where the team has tuned him out, then that's on the coach, and you could fire him. But it's been SIX GAMES, and only three have been ugly.

Bad teams lose often, and have a higher percentage of ugly losses than good teams. That's kinda part of the deal when you finally throw a bunch of kids in there, and most of the veteran supporting cast are playing above their station to begin with.

So while there are several coaches I would rather have, this is going to be a season filled with losses - several of the ugly variety - with or without Jeff Blashill.

ealong59, odin1981 and avssuc like this.
  22. Zetterberg4Captain

Zetterberg4Captain Registered User

Fireman/Marine
    Any poster, any single one who says "the kids can't be worse "in some hyperbole see I told you do fashion, is lying flat out about what the difference is.

This is not about vets vs kids or kids not being ready.

This is about a coach who hasent or can' teach a system and demand effort from top to bottom for 60 minutes.

This team is going to lose, it's what's needed and is encourged. But they can not be allowed to play like this, no structure, no intensity, no effort, little development

That has to change or we're screwed

If you don't get that find a new sport to pretend to understand

RedWingzz likes this.
  23. jkutswings

jkutswings WTB defense

If you want more accountability from the Nielsens and Vaneks of the roster, I'm not against that.

But in the next game, we will likely see things like Danny DeKeyser trying to stop Steven Stamkos, and those type of activities are inherently chaotic, regardless of who's behind the bench.

avssuc likes this.
  24. Cyborg Yzerberg

Cyborg Yzerberg Team Hughes

Journalist
    Man, no one around here knows how to handle a rebuild. Rebuilds mean losing a lot, and when your roster is this bad, it means getting outworked and outplayed by a lot. This is the bottom, and we are only just getting here.

It’s not going to be fun, but it’s a necessary evil.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  25. izlez

izlez Registered User

So it's just all the system? Nothing the kids do wrong falls on them?

The first goal. allowing a 2 on 0....and then slashing the guy to get a penalty shot when it wasn't even that good of a chance in the first place is on Blashill?
    On the last goal, Larkin actively avoiding the pass to the front of the net is on Blachill? He teaches Larkin to run away from the puck in high danger areas?

There's no way that putting in effort and not making stupid plays can fall on an individual.