The Fallout

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I really dont get what you guys think firing Blashill will do. Is he the greatest coach, hell no. But this roster is awful. No coach will change this. If anything Holland should be fired first.
And Montreal's roster is stacked?

I've been ready for a fresh coach for a while. Not because I think Blashill is the worst ever, but because Blashill just has zero fresh ideas. It feels like he came up with some kind of system way back and had success at lower levels and he has changed nothing since then. He is impossibly bad at in-game coaching, he has zero b*lls to try anything like putting AA on the PK when we're down 6-3 with 10 minutes left in a game, he's got that awful mindset of benching/scratching young players who make mistakes which teaches them not to try anything fancy (i.e. the stuff that can win you games) and just play it very, very safe all the time.

There's so much that could be improved without actually thinking this roster should be competing for the cup. Like.. we could maybe lose games 5-4 or 7-6 instead of 8-2 and 3-2 or whatever. We could maybe play a better overall game that actually looks like it might be successful once some more talent is inserted. The year the Leafs got Matthews they were one of the best advanced stats teams in the league. You could tell it was 100% a talent issue and the coaching was spectacular. I don't see that with the Wings at all.

Wings top players get consistently outplayed by other teams 4th lines and 3rd D pairings. There's just no way I can accept that our best players shouldn't be able to put on the pressure against other teams worst players. We are not THAT bad.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
The other philosophy is to do nothing with the dumpster fire now, hire Yzerman during the off-season and let him make changes that will make him a hero - again.

Let's not forget Chris I. is all about the business of hockey, decisions will be made that result in the least amount of financial pain. The pain is coming, but what minimizes the pain. We have already seen some pull back in District Detroit, whether that is related to anticipated decreased interest in the team or not would only be speculation.

(I do believe a good foundation for the rebuild is in place. I just think we are 5+ years away from being truly competitive. Mantha and AA are not part of that foundation.)

Last edited:

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I really think Blashill has lost a few players.... AA gets benched often, Mantha benched, Glendening and Abdelkader in overtime.. Neilsen going through the motions and always playing in every situation. If we hope Stevie Y is coming in next year, he is bound to hand pick who he wants in all positions... likely most of the coaching staff is gone. No harm in firing Blashill and letting Bylsma see if he can at least spark some energy and fight into this line up... Bertuzzi looks to be the only player with an edge. We need to at least show we arent push overs.. throw the body, have some grit, and if we still lose 5-1.. at least we know it wasn't without effort.

Reactions: golffuul

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Blashill has completely lost this team. Its not that we are going to be a winning team, but we cannot afford to have all the young guys regress. His system is awful, his line management is awful, his complete disregard for holding the vets accountable is sickening. Young players are going to be inconsistent at times it is to be expected, but the vets on this team provide absolutely nothing. Abdelkader is a a complete joke the fact he is making 5 million and is an A is ridiculous. Nielsen basically ditto with Abby. Helm at least flashes some effort and compete. Vanek is Vanek we know he is not great defensively but I still feel he can teach young guys some offensive tricks. Kronwall is basically done but i give him credit he works his a** off whenever he plays and is a warrior.

Blashill should be fired immediately, I've never seen a coach who is so incompetent, but still keeps his job. FIRE HIM NOW!

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Colorado Avalanche 2016-17 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

This is where Detroit is, in terms of a roster.

The Avs finished that year with only 48 points, and a goal differential of -112 (166-278).

THE. WINGS. WILL. LOSE. LOTS. OF. GAMES.

We're talking a TWO WEEK sample size here. As in, you went on a long vacation, and came back to find that somebody burned the house down based on six bad to awful games.

Purging some or all of the coaching staff right now would be as reactionary as declaring the rebuild over if Detroit had started the season 5-1-0.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
What this string could be showing us is that guys like Ericsson and Daley aren't just worthless pylons that don't contribute to competiting.

And holy ****, Howard got hung out to dry by his D on basically all those goals.

Goal 1 - D needs to leave Drouin alone when he's going through the crease like that. That was a nothing chance. Howard was all over it. Penalty Shot is a toss up.
Goal 2 - D-man lost his stick coming back. Jimmy basically had a 2 on 1 with Hronek back. Maybe he should have clung to the post instead of going after the puck, but Hronek was late covering the net front and ended up putting it in off his stick.
Goal 3 - D didn't keep the space in front of Howard clear. It pinballed off like eight things. No chance that he saw that puck.
Goal 4 - again, D didn't keep it remotely clear in front of him. He covered where the shot came from before and couldn't see it get dropped back.
Goal 5 - D can't clear, Howard cuts off the angle on the shooter, nobody blocks the passing lane to Hudon standing alone on the back door.

He wasn't great, but man did they not do much of anything to help him.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
What this string could be showing us is that guys like Ericsson and Daley aren't just worthless pylons that don't contribute to competiting.

And holy ****, Howard got hung out to dry by his D on basically all those goals.

Goal 1 - D needs to leave Drouin alone when he's going through the crease like that. That was a nothing chance. Howard was all over it. Penalty Shot is a toss up.
Goal 2 - D-man lost his stick coming back. Jimmy basically had a 2 on 1 with Hronek back. Maybe he should have clung to the post instead of going after the puck, but Hronek was late covering the net front and ended up putting it in off his stick.
Goal 3 - D didn't keep the space in front of Howard clear. It pinballed off like eight things. No chance that he saw that puck.
Goal 4 - again, D didn't keep it remotely clear in front of him. He covered where the shot came from before and couldn't see it get dropped back.
Goal 5 - D can't clear, Howard cuts off the angle on the shooter, nobody blocks the passing lane to Hudon standing alone on the back door.

He wasn't great, but man did they not do much of anything to help him.

Agreed, I was a little surprised to see him get some heat in the GDT. Those first two periods were a shooting gallery, that loss is not on Howard.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Blashill should have been gone 2 seasons ago if there were competent people in Front Office/Management. But when you change nothing from last year and bring it all back, the current dumpster fire is what you continue to get.

I can honestly say I was ready for the 2019 draft to get here already, prior to this season beginning. It's almost meaningless at this point, which is quite sad.

I agree that Blashill has worn out his welcome. That being said, the team will look better once Green, Rig, and Daley come back. Not much better, but we will lose games by 2 or 3 goals as opposed to 5 or 6.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
I don't think firing Blashill will help anything. But, that is what happens in professional sports when things get bad.
Less asinine decisions to sit the kids would be nice to see, but that's about it. As is said, you learn by doing (rather than watching), trial & error for the youngsters.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
This is what everyone wanted. Don’t complain.

is it your opinion than Claypool that Blashill is simply doing as people wanted to the letter?

I mean I know pople who said they want the team to be bad for a while so as to be good for a long time after that

but I certainbtly have never heard anyone say as of yet, I don't want the team to play a hard, structured game, where work ethic and player development is paramount

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I'm not a fan of Jeff Blashill, but let me exaggerate to make a point:

If you assembled the best high school players in the world, had Scotty Bowman and Al Arbor coaching them, and had them play against an NHL All Star team...the kids would get destroyed 30-0.

If several players officially mail it in and no longer try, or there's an extended streak where the team has tuned him out, then that's on the coach, and you could fire him. But it's been SIX GAMES, and only three have been ugly.

Bad teams lose often, and have a higher percentage of ugly losses than good teams. That's kinda part of the deal when you finally throw a bunch of kids in there, and most of the veteran supporting cast are playing above their station to begin with.

So while there are several coaches I would rather have, this is going to be a season filled with losses - several of the ugly variety - with or without Jeff Blashill.
But there is your problem right in your own words, going back 2 years we could see in Z's face and his words this team did not like this coach and he lost the room. He had kids saying they did not like the coach or his style. It was the first big thing that got Marazek in trouble. Then he was "a head case that could not be coached". Hell even if you want just go back to new years last year and watch the team check out even further if you want, there is half the season last year and the start this year. His big thing was how hes so good at developing the kids well all hes done so far is have the older of the kids looking like ok to bottom end floaters. He has no system or playing style and it shows on the ice.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
The Wings are locked into their fate. No coaching change will change that. You have a roster that is devoid of elite talent and loaded with awful contracts. This is what you get with that kind of roster.

Zetterberg retiring finally allowed the bottom to completely fall out. Which is a good thing going forward for the Wings.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Colorado Avalanche 2016-17 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

This is where Detroit is, in terms of a roster.

The Avs finished that year with only 48 points, and a goal differential of -112 (166-278).

THE. WINGS. WILL. LOSE. LOTS. OF. GAMES.

We're talking a TWO WEEK sample size here. As in, you went on a long vacation, and came back to find that somebody burned the house down based on six bad to awful games.

Purging some or all of the coaching staff right now would be as reactionary as declaring the rebuild over if Detroit had started the season 5-1-0.

They'll lose, but they shouldn't be stringing together multiple blowout losses where effort is clearly a question. At some point, either Blashill has totally lost the room and needs to be moved or some players need to be moved because they have become cancers. Detroit doesn't have to win their next five games, they just need to look like they are engaged and working hard.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Why is it so damn hard for people to understand??? NO ONE NOT ONE PERSON IS SAYING A NEW COACH WILL MAKE THE TEAM WIN!!!!!! The team checked out on this guys long ago, its not helping any one on the team to play under a coach they don't trust. And whats worse is it is starting with our veteran core leader guys checking out.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
The coach is often the easiest thing to change, as well. Re-directs the attention back to the players to perform up to their abilities.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
The kids aren’t to blame, they’ve been fine. I’d argue it’s the insipid play from Nielson, Vanek and Abdelkader that’s set the tone. Sadly 2 of the 3 are in the leadership group.
You can add DK, Kronwall to that list. Neither have played great. The best players have been kids like Larkin and Cholowski. Howard's been quite lackluster as well. Definitely not even up to his own standards.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
They'll lose, but they shouldn't be stringing together multiple blowout losses where effort is clearly a question. At some point, either Blashill has totally lost the room and needs to be moved or some players need to be moved because they have become cancers. Detroit doesn't have to win their next five games, they just need to look like they are engaged and working hard.
I agree with the concept. I just don't think right now is "at some point". If we reach November, and the rest of this month has essentially been a repeat of the last few games, then sure, he's lost the room and it's time to make a change. But six games - when half of them haven't even been bad losses - is not yet to that threshold.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I agree with the concept. I just don't think right now is "at some point". If we reach November, and the rest of this month has essentially been a repeat of the last few games, then sure, he's lost the room and it's time to make a change. But six games - when half of them haven't even been bad losses - is not yet to that threshold.

But the awful losing trend goes back to the trade deadline from last year

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Injuries, lack of skill, and underperforming vets are definitely contributing to this rough start, but I think Blashill is a problem as well. One of the only things working alright so far is the power play, arguably because it's not Blashill's anymore.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Firing Blashill only creates a new voice in the locker room. A voice that is desperately needed, IMO. At this point, who cares if hes fired/not fired, it wont change much other than their finish. I'd like to see a change only to see if certain players gain from it. Sticking with Blashill could potentially create more issues down the road for certain players, as those certain players are cleary declining under his leadership, so I don't see a problem in letting go of him. I am sure a new voice may create a different spark, but who knows.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
If we see these efforts for the next 10 days we might see a coaching change. Two games, however, isn't an adequate sample size, especially with this roster. While I love to give the guy shit, Holland knows how bad this roster is.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Firing Blashill only creates a new voice in the locker room. A voice that is desperately needed, IMO. At this point, who cares if hes fired/not fired, it wont change much other than their finish. I'd like to see a change only to see if certain players gain from it. Sticking with Blashill could potentially create more issues down the road for certain players, as those certain players are cleary declining under his leadership, so I don't see a problem in letting go of him. I am sure a new voice may create a different spark, but who knows.

Which players are declining? And which of those players can't be attributed to Datsuyk or Z leaving and no longer either getting easier matchups, or better support? And what will a new voice do? Not only is there no elite coaching talent available right now, any coach that is brought in will likely stumble hard with this roster. I honestly could see most of the available coaches come in and do worse with this team, not better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad