Salary Cap: The Endless Speculation Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I guess I'm on an Island with two other people, because I don't think Schultz has ever been worse than "mediocre" in this uniform. And I don't think he's been mediocre this year.
I think that comes from those endless color charts of micro-analysis that gives people knowledge into his past / current play.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Re-signing Schultz sounds like a pretty terrible decision regardless of what angle you look at it. Keep him for the year and don't even consider offering him an extension should be the right call with him.

Im kind of here with you... its like with hornqvist... I really didn’t think they should have resigned him, but you don’t deal him for scraps either...

If a roundabout way comes up to cheaply fix that spot for years down the road that requires trading him fine, but for the most part id rather keep him for his experience and deal JJ when letang gets back

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Im kind of here with you... its like with hornqvist... I really didn’t think they should have resigned him, but you don’t deal him for scraps either...

If a roundabout way comes up to cheaply fix that spot for years down the road that requires trading him fine, but for the most part id rather keep him for his experience and deal JJ when letang gets back

Horny has resigned!? Waaaaaaat??? When?

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Shattenkirk on St. Louis was dramatically better than the recent version of Schultz. I think you're overestimating how Schultz has played since he got his extension.

In Shattenkirk's 2 years with the Rangers, McCurdy described him this way:

This is pretty much exactly what Schultz is at this point.

Well Schultz's PP skills have not been on display this season. I'd take Shattenkirk all day every day on the PP vs Schultz

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Schultz was pretty damn bad last season.

*cue Soggy Biscuits blaming it along with everything else last year on JJ*

You do realize Schultz's knee bent in a way that was quite ugly and didn't play half the season because of it, right?

I'd grade last season as an "Incomplete"

Reactions: Peat

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I know you live in czech, but I don't know your history. So I will ask, have you ever been to Scranton, W-lkes Barre area?

:laugh: Tons, but granted not for the last ten years or so. Even though I’m a Western PA boy, where ever you had a Slovak community in the states, my relatives probably lived there, and I was there for visits and/or research. Chicago, Cleveland, Wilkes-Barre, Pittsburgh, etc. :laugh:

Mostly I’m just chipping Scranton though. I don’t seriously think it sucks, and it’s probably a lot better than some of the places I’ve laid my head. :naughty:

Reactions: shoplifter

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
:laugh: Tons, but granted not for the last ten years or so. Even though I’m a Western PA boy, where ever you had a Slovak community in the states, my relatives probably lived there, and I was there for visits and/or research. Chicago, Cleveland, Wilkes-Barre, Pittsburgh, etc. :laugh:

Mostly I’m just chipping Scranton though. I don’t seriously think it sucks, and it’s probably a lot better than some of the places I’ve laid my head. :naughty:
Oh, no doubt. It is not a bad place, it is just terribly boring.
How did you end up in czech out of all the places you have been?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Stay out of cities and it's Pennsyltucky, which is even worse than the cities.
giphy.gif

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I f***ing love Pittsburgh.

I also like Scranton. There's some good restaurants/bars/coffee shops and generally you can find something to do. But all their pizza is rectangular and I don't think I'll ever get used to that.

Reactions: Trade

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I ****ing love Pittsburgh.

I also like Scranton. There's some good restaurants/bars/coffee shops and generally you can find something to do. But all their pizza is rectangular and I don't think I'll ever get used to that.

The longer I've lived here, the more jaded/bored I've grown with regards to living in Pittsburgh. When you first get here, it's all "I love this city, I bleed black and gold" and such. When you've lived within city limits for 6 years, and you start realizing how flawed/boring the city is, you start to feel less enthusiastic about it.

To me, Pittsburgh is a city with a massive class/racial divide, which results in massive differences in price and quality from neighborhood to neighborhood, and not much to do. If you live within city limits, you either live in a super expensive area or a crappy area and you don't have much to do in either.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
The longer I've lived here, the more jaded/bored I've grown with regards to living in Pittsburgh. When you first get here, it's all "I love this city, I bleed black and gold" and such. When you've lived within city limits for 6 years, and you start realizing how flawed/boring the city is, you start to feel less enthusiastic about it.
Meh. I always find stuff to do here, and I've traveled to enough East Coast/Midwest cities to realize that there's nothing anywhere else that would outweigh living here. It's not perfect by any stretch. There's a lot of shit that needs fixed. But that could be said of any place, anywhere.

Reactions: Ryder71

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I've no frame of reference, never lived anywhere else sort of 4.5 years in State College but I don't think that counts, that place isn't real anyway.

I think Pittsburgh has things to offer based on what you're into. It's actually pretty highly considered as a "Cultural City" especially in terms of shows that come in but not everyone digs the artsy scene. It's also fairly well regarded for local museums but that kind of thing can be touch and go because if you LIVE here, there's only so many times you can walk through the Mattress Factory and look at weird **** and enjoy it.

All of the above has kind of an unspoken "...for a city of it's size" attached. I'm fairly certain NYC or Chicago feels no viable threat from Pittsbugh on their value as a cultural hub.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I ****ing love Pittsburgh.

If you order old forge / sicilian, than yes it is rectangular.

One thing nepa does exceedingly outstanding...... is wings.
f*** man, now i want wings for the game tonight.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I've no frame of reference, never lived anywhere else sort of 4.5 years in State College but I don't think that counts, that place isn't real anyway.

I think Pittsburgh has things to offer based on what you're into. It's actually pretty highly considered as a "Cultural City" especially in terms of shows that come in but not everyone digs the artsy scene. It's also fairly well regarded for local museums but that kind of thing can be touch and go because if you LIVE here, there's only so many times you can walk through the Mattress Factory and look at weird **** and enjoy it.

All of the above has kind of an unspoken "...for a city of it's size" attached. I'm fairly certain NYC or Chicago feels no viable threat from Pittsbugh on their value as a cultural hub.
State College is like its own city though.
Pittsburgh is nice it doesn't have massive ghetto's like Washington DC or Baltimore.. Philly is pretty bad in areas and is right next to Camden, HELL ON EARTH. NYC is just filthy as f***.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

State College is like its own city though.
Pittsburgh is nice it doesn't have massive ghetto's like Washington DC or Baltimore.. Philly is pretty bad in areas and is right next to Camden, HELL ON EARTH. NYC is just filthy as ****.
Yeah, I guess I should have qualified my post by saying that I would never, ever, ever consider living in NYC, and probably DC. Visiting, sure, but I can't imagine living there. Boston or Philly, eh, maybe. But I like the size of Pittsburgh.

If you order old forge / sicilian, than yes it is rectangular.

One thing nepa does exceedingly outstanding...... is wings.
**** man, now i want wings for the game tonight.

I've never not had rectangular pizza there. Like if you order a pizza from a non-chain that's what you get. It's really good, don't get me wrong. Just weird :laugh:. Never had NEPA wings. Sounds like I need to though.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Your "pizza" discussions are revolting as a NY/NJ guy. :laugh:

Been to WBS a few times while hanging out in the Poconos. That place is relaxing, but the food is garbeezy.

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
Johnson's been better, but he's not Paul Martin. Martin was a guy who was awesome with U of Minnesota and New Jersey and then apparently let himself go after signing a big contract. To hear him tell it, all he did to fix his game was to start eating better and training harder. Sometimes you get that with guys who are such good natural athletes that they never had to work at anything (and Martin was also a high level youth quarterback, so it's likely he's the type of guy who can pick up a ping pong paddle for the first time and hold his own against someone who plays all the time. Just good at sports.).

By contrast, Johnson has only ever been intermittently competent as a defenseman. Smart money says his improved play is not related to something he wasn't doing, but is just an Island vacation in a sea of bad.
So you're saying sell high?

Reactions: billybudd

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Meh. I always find stuff to do here, and I've traveled to enough East Coast/Midwest cities to realize that there's nothing anywhere else that would outweigh living here. It's not perfect by any stretch. There's a lot of **** that needs fixed. But that could be said of any place, anywhere.

My big issue with Pittsburgh is the lack of actually decent but affordable neighborhoods. A bunch of neighborhoods in Pittsburgh are getting gentrified, which results in prices skyrocketing. Your options are to live in these gentrified areas, which is really expensive, or living in crap areas. You can even hit both if you want to live in Oakland.

The city is trying to become more hip, which is causing a massive racial/financial divide between the nice areas (Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Highland Park, ect) and the bad areas (Larimer, Hill District, Homewood, ect). There is no middle ground between those two, because gentrification keeps pushing the middle ground neighborhoods into either being the new East Liberty (the new hip neighborhoods) or the new Larimer (where the displaced poor people get pushed to).

For reference, I live in Highland Park so I do live in one of the nice areas. My complaint is that there are no more "decent areas with decent prices" neighborhoods. Greenfield used to be one of those neighborhoods, but it's in the process of going the same route that East Liberty went.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
My big issue with Pittsburgh is the lack of actually decent but affordable neighborhoods. A bunch of neighborhoods in Pittsburgh are getting gentrified, which results in prices skyrocketing. Your options are to live in these gentrified areas, which is really expensive, or living in crap areas. You can even hit both if you want to live in Oakland.

The city is trying to become more hip, which is causing a massive racial/financial divide between the nice areas (Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Highland Park, ect) and the bad areas (Larimer, Hill District, Homewood, ect). There is no middle ground between those two, because gentrification keeps pushing the middle ground neighborhoods into either being the new East Liberty (the new hip neighborhoods) or the new Larimer (where the displaced poor people get pushed to).

For reference, I live in Highland Park so I do live in one of the nice areas. My complaint is that there are no more "decent areas with decent prices" neighborhoods. Greenfield used to be one of those neighborhoods, but it's in the process of going the same route that East Liberty went.
This is not a uniquely Pittsburgh thing, though. This is and has been happening in many cities throughout the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad