Salary Cap: The Endless Speculation Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Don’t know why Calgary does that, but yes.

Tanev and Bennett are the Gudbranson / Reaves that we actually need.

To help with scoring, apparently.

giphy.gif

What's the deal with Bennett?

Can someone give a decent scouting report? I don't catch many Calgary games at all.

I know he plays with an edge, only 23, and hasn't quite lived up to his draft pedigree, especially offensively.

Kinda curious what people believe he can blossom into if we acquire him.

Scrappy as hell, versatile, goes to the net, good underlying numbers, playoff performer, hasn't put together his scoring potential.

Reactions: Trade

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
To help with scoring, apparently.

giphy.gif

Scrappy as hell, versatile, goes to the net, good underlying numbers, playoff performer, hasn't put together his scoring potential.

Ideal LW for Geno. Can take draws and would support big time.

Guentzel - Sid - X

Bennett - Malkin - Rust is a damn fire drill.

Kahun - McCann - Tanev

Simon - Bleuger - Hornqvist

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Calgary being willing to give up a young cost controlled player for a non-killer rental - particularly one of their few gritty guys - makes no sense to me, but a quick look at the stats and boy I'd get why they'd be desperate for some scoring. Problem is they're super leftie dominant already and their PP is kinda full so Chucky's maybe not their guy.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Calgary being willing to give up a young cost controlled player for a non-killer rental - particularly one of their few gritty guys - makes no sense to me, but a quick look at the stats and boy I'd get why they'd be desperate for some scoring. Problem is they're super leftie dominant already and their PP is kinda full so Chucky's maybe not their guy.

Galchenyuk + Bjugstad + 2nd + 4th+ 4th for Frolik + Bennett

;)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Galchenyuk + Bjugstad + 2nd + 4th+ 4th for Frolik + Bennett

;)

:laugh: Now where have I seen that before.

Adjust the picks to the player values (its a lot more even than Florida) and I've heard worse ideas tbh, even if I'm still adamant that we need to bring in more skill if we lose Bjugstad/Galchenyuk.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
What would it cost to get TJ Brodie+Bennett? I'd say also Frolik to help with some more skill but that's too much coming our way and too much we will be giving out.

The more I think about it, the more I want Palmieri on the Pens.

He checks a LOT of boxes for us.

Prefer him over Hall, would cost less cap wise. No thanks to 11M wingers that are injured all the time. What would the cost be? 1st+Hallander and Bjugstad for cap reasons?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Whatever happened to Brodie anyway following his collapse in practice? I guess we need a backup for Letang's terrifying near-deaths on ice, we're fearfully low in that category without ol' Tanger in the lineup.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Shero's not trading his best players to us. He's just not. Probably not even if we offer better than fair value. He'd have to absolutely rip us off.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Really simple shopping list for JR:

1. A defensive partner for Marino to make that our 2nd pairing behind Dumo-Letang.
2. A Jake clone to play with Geno-Rust OR a stud winger to play with Sid so you can leave the Geno line together.

Bjugstad definitely goes. Galchenyuk showed some promise tonight, which was nice, but if you also need the space from his 4.9M to make the shopping list happen, then bye bye.

A 3C would be nice, but I'll take my chances on McCann IF it means getting that top 6 right and a 2nd pairing that you can truly trust to help Dumo-Letang.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

1. A defensive partner for Marino to make that our 2nd pairing behind Dumo-Letang.
2. A Jake clone to play with Geno-Rust OR a stud winger to play with Sid so you can leave the Geno line together.

Bjugstad definitely goes. Galchenyuk showed some promise tonight, which was nice, but if you also need the space from his 4.9M to make the shopping list happen, then bye bye.

A 3C would be nice, but I'll take my chances on McCann IF it means getting that top 6 right and a 2nd pairing that you can truly trust to help Dumo-Letang.
Agreed. Though, just because the to-do list is simple, doesn't mean it'll be easy whatsoever. :laugh: We don't have a huge laundry list of needs, but what we do need is very significant, imo.

Finding Geno and Rust their Jake is going to be really difficult and expensive, whether we try through trade or wait until guys like Hall and Kreider hit the open market this summer. Finding that stud LD for Marino on the 2nd pairing is also going to take an exhaustive effort and will end up being very expensive.

I don't envy JR's workload for the next year or so. He's got a lot of work to do, even if it's only for a couple players. But, if we land those players and they're the right fit, we're in a damn good spot to legitimately contend for another Cup or two before the Sid/Geno/Letang era is done.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Move out Schultz, bring in someone who is better at 5on5. Broken record time, but the guy is meh defensively and doesn't produce anywhere enough to offset that.

This club seems to think Simon is that guy. Maybe at some point Simon might even score another goal this season to prove them right!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't really think you need a "Jake clone" to play with Malkin if Galchenyuk continues to improve. He's been a little disappointing so far, but he looks like he's getting better and around now is when Kahun started really taking off. I think Kahun is a good top-6 caliber option to play with Malkin too, but I really like the Kahun-McCann duo on the 3rd line. Kahun's playmaking and hands works extremely well with McCann's goal scoring.

I've said this before, but I still don't get why people are hesitant to keep McCann at center. The only knock for him at center is that he's bad at faceoffs, but he's on pace for nearly 35 goals and 50 points at center this year with having excellent defensive analytics. He's what Brandon Sutter was supposed to be at center, and the Penguins have the wingers they need to make him work at center.

Last edited:
Reactions: Still Apps

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
So this came up on my FB memories from 2013. Realize it's a different coaching staff, but why can't they run something similar?

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I don't really think you need a "Jake clone" to play with Malkin if Galchenyuk continues to improve. He's been a little disappointing so far, but he looks like he's getting better and around now is when Kahun started really taking off. I think Kahun is a good top-6 caliber option to play with Malkin too, but I really like the Kahun-McCann duo on the 3rd line. Kahun's playmaking and hands works extremely well with McCann's goal scoring.

I've said this before, but I still don't get why people are hesitant to keep McCann at center. The only knock for him at center is that he's bad at faceoffs, but he's on pace for nearly 35 goals and 50 points at center this year with having excellent defensive analytics. He's what Brandon Sutter was supposed to be at center, and the Penguins have the wingers they need to make him work at center.

1. He was invisible at center last season
2. Anytime hes been put on the wing with any semblance of talent he hs been eye popping

Im definitely coming around as McCann as the 3 C but it not as simple of a decision as “can he be good there”

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
1. He was invisible at center last season
2. Anytime hes been put on the wing with any semblance of talent he hs been eye popping

Im definitely coming around as McCann as the 3 C but it not as simple of a decision as “can he be good there

Why can't it be? The Penguins have really good wing depth, to the point where they don't need McCann at wing. Why can't they just pencil him in as the 3C instead of continuing this journey to find the perfect 3C?

I feel like the problem is that McCann was bad at center for like 5 games last year and everyone decided he can't play center. It's why people are still saying that they'd rather have Lafferty or Blueger as the 3C over McCann, which was said a few days ago. McCann's just a good player in general, whether it's at center or on the wing.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
If Calgary's season really does go down the tubes, I wonder if a mini rebuild isnt on the cards.

On another note, the number of dissatisfied, underwhelming teams out there this season is incredible.

You've got the "penciled in as a cup threat" teams (San Jose, Calgary, Nashville, Toronto...Tampa might join this group if they continue to shuffle) and the "I thought this was supposed to be the year they turned a corner" teams (Devils, NYR, Buffalo are trending that way). And of course, the expected bad teams that are still light years away from contention (Minny, LA). If everyone gets fed up, especially the teams nearing the end of their window, we could be in for a hell of a TDL.

I wonder how willing some of those western teams would be to eat salary and deal talent out east. The Granlund-for-Gally swap has been mentioned, but I'm starting to think we could get much better if we had a willing partner to swap for Schultz one of for one as well, or in a three way deal to land a different kind of D man.

This seems like the perfect time for us to try to buy low on Sam Bennett @pixiesfanyo

Galchenyuk for Bennett was suggested on the main boards. I'd entertain something like that.

But every time his name is mentioned on the trade board, Calgary fans put him in an almost untouchable bracket.

I'm not saying fan expectation = Treveling's likely valuation (especially when its fans on HF) but it seems like they value him highly and are willing to give a long leash to

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
But every time his name is mentioned on the trade board, Calgary fans put him in an almost untouchable bracket.

I'm not saying fan expectation = Treveling's likely valuation (especially when its fans on HF) but it seems like they value him highly and are willing to give a long leash to

They've done that with him for years. Calgary fans crazily overrate Bennett because he was a 4th overall pick, while ignoring that he only ended up a gritty 3rd line winger in the NHL. If he actually gets traded, it's going to be for a fraction of what Flames fans think.

I'd definitely do Galchenyuk for Bennett, by the way. A Bennett-Malkin-Rust line looks great to me if Malkin continues to play well.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
They've done that with him for years. Calgary fans crazily overrate Bennett because he was a 4th overall pick, while ignoring that he only ended up a gritty 3rd line winger in the NHL. If he actually gets traded, it's going to be for a fraction of what Flames fans think.

I'd definitely do Galchenyuk for Bennett, by the way. A Bennett-Malkin-Rust line looks great to me if Malkin continues to play well.

I think it is the attitude and playoff performances he has brought that they overrate him for. I wonder if Backlund is who they end up moving tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->