Salary Cap: The Endless Speculation Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
The Rangers had to buyout Shattenkirk last off-season because of his contract and poor play. And I'd easily argue that Shattenkirk has been better than Schultz in recent years.

In recent years? Totally disagree. Back when he was on St Louis, sure.

Reactions: Riptide

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
In recent years? Totally disagree. Back when he was on St Louis, sure.

Shattenkirk on St. Louis was dramatically better than the recent version of Schultz. I think you're overestimating how Schultz has played since he got his extension.

In Shattenkirk's 2 years with the Rangers, McCurdy described him this way:

This is pretty much exactly what Schultz is at this point.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I still get bloooown away people want to move Schultz just to trade for someone who is Schultz. It is beyond me. Let that guy ride the contract out. Offer him a stay at Pittsburgh price and if he moves on, he moves on. Asset management is so overrated in this scenario.

Re-signing Schultz sounds like a pretty terrible decision regardless of what angle you look at it. Keep him for the year and don't even consider offering him an extension should be the right call with him.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Shattenkirk on St. Louis was dramatically better than the recent version of Schultz. I think you're overestimating how Schultz has played since he got his extension.

In Shattenkirk's 2 years with the Rangers, McCurdy described him this way:

This is pretty much exactly what Schultz is at this point.

I don't think Schultz was ever as bad with us as Shattenkirk in Washington. And apparently he still sucked to get bought out afterwards with the Rangers.

If Schultz was playing the way he has the last couple years and was signed for his current cap hit until 2025, still don't think he's buyout material.

Reactions: billybudd

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Not a big fan of Nick Ritchie but JR might be or is if i remember correctly.
Certainly a more skilled ZAR BUT he gets around about as fast as ZAR which is more my issue with him.
I like the names that have been out this year in the Zucker's, Fiala's, Donato's, AA's, Drouin's, Hoffman's, Kreider's to a potential run with Justin Williams.
Another guy who's falling out of favor is Vesey in BUF. Wouldn't mind him either.
Also like the idea of Pageau.
ETA: Also Erik Staal i like.

Last edited:

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Am I nuts or has Johnson looked fairly solid lately?

All JJ jokes aside he has been quiet in a good way. He's really playing within his role- 3rd pairing/pk heavy.

If he turns in a solid season trading him with 3 years left seems attainable.

Reactions: Jacob

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I still get bloooown away people want to move Schultz just to trade for someone who is Schultz. It is beyond me. Let that guy ride the contract out. Offer him a stay at Pittsburgh price and if he moves on, he moves on. Asset management is so overrated in this scenario.
I'm ok with this scenario too, more so entertaining a "what if we did move him" scenario, but people here get really irked at the idea of not moving a potential UFA that might also not sign at the end of the season and either gets moved for a low pick or just walks as a free agent.

For what the team gave up to get Schultz, we got more than our money's worth.

Reactions: ColePens and Trade

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't think Schultz was ever as bad with us as Shattenkirk in Washington. And apparently he still sucked to get bought out afterwards with the Rangers.

If Schultz was playing the way he has the last couple years and was signed for his current cap hit until 2025, still don't think he's buyout material.

Schultz was literally a healthy scratch the majority of the playoffs in 15-16 and when he did play he was basically told to get off the ice any time someone worth a damn got on?

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Completely disregarding concern for other lines, I really want to see Tanev-Blueger-Hornqvist as a unit.

guaranteed scrum every shift

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Fair point. Since then? I don't think so.
He was a mess that we got from the Oilers, he was brought along slowly that season, very slowly and very cautiously. The next year? Literally made it all worth that approach by Martin/Sarge.

So yeah, if we can get him signed to a better deal for some NTC that doesn't hurt us during the expansion draft, cool.

Also, I still try to dump ZAR for Ritchie.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Completely disregarding concern for other lines, I really want to see Tanev-Blueger-Hornqvist as a unit.

I would buy that as a 3rd line, I think at this point, I like what I have seen out of Blueger from last year to this season to say whatever we can get for Bjugstad that helps us literally anywhere on this roster, I do. I do right away. I would probably look for a veteran 4th line type of guy and try to unload Bjugstad and Aston-Reese as a package to unmuddle the forward group a little and maybe get back a forward that you can rotate in that needs a change of scenery - like what this team did with Schultz in 2015-16.

I wonder what the market is for Casey DeSmith as well, time to see how desperate some teams are, kick some tires, light some fires...

I mean, maybe it's time to finally go after Pageau for the 3c?

Bjugstad + Aston-Reese should get the Sens interested. Neither will walk as UFA's at the end of the season, so they won't be screwed. The Sens might not get what they think they will as the rental market this year, might actually be pretty nuts.

Hoffman & Dadonov - both UFA's, Florida can only afford to keep 1.
Hall
Kreider

And then there's Pageau, on a good start, with 11 goals, but no way in hell he keeps that up all season, he'd be winning the scoring title at that pace, lol.

Or you go after Tierney as the 3c and roll Blueger as the 4c.

Reactions: Trade

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Schultz was pretty damn bad last season.

*cue Soggy Biscuits blaming it along with everything else last year on JJ*

Again. Not buyout material. His bad is nowhere near Gudbranson/JJ level bad.

Personally, I think you use this season to bring Marino along slowly and make sure he doesn't hit a wall. Keep Schultz as the buffer there.

And unless JS wants to sign for an insanely team friendly deal which he won't sign, you just let him walk. Unless you can fill a hole in the lineup long-term using him, I think you let things be. Especially with how this team is playing.

Reactions: billybudd

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Yeah. I've wanted to see that for awhile. Those three would be utterly devastating for the opposition. Plus, it'd give Horny the opportunity to play his game without 87 or 71 yelling at him for dumping a puck in. Tanev and Blueger would also insulate him nicely with their speed.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Again. Not buyout material. His bad is nowhere near Gudbranson/JJ level bad.

Personally, I think you use this season to bring Marino along slowly and make sure he doesn't hit a wall. Keep Schultz as the buffer there.

And unless JS wants to sign for an insanely team friendly deal which he won't sign, you just let him walk. Unless you can fill a hole in the lineup long-term using him, I think you let things be. Especially with how this team is playing.

Shattenkirk was bought out because of the Panarin and Trouba deals. Not his play.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
If we don’t re-sign Schultz, JR better have a plan to replace him. I really don’t want to see another Bonino situation. I mean, after wasting so many assets including a 1st, we end up with Bjustad who is just as expensive and worse than Bones.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
If we don’t re-sign Schultz, JR better have a plan to replace him. I really don’t want to see another Bonino situation. I mean, after wasting so many assets including a 1st, we end up with Bjustad who is just as expensive and worse than Bones.

Difference between Bonino and Schultz is Schultz hasn’t proven to be worth his contract in a utility role.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Am I nuts or has Johnson looked fairly solid lately?
All season actually, Johnson has been good. I joked this summer about how "What if Johnson has a rebound year the way Gonchar and Martin did? Or maybe he just sucks on this team like Michalek..."

He's quietly gained back some of his confidence and is playing solid hockey. A lot were curious if it was Marino, but even with Riikola, he's remained a solid cog. I think if this continues, even if we're stuck with him, with that play vs his cap hit...it's livable.

Reactions: Louis Hensler

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Difference between Bonino and Schultz is Schultz hasn’t proven to be worth his contract in a utility role.
What do you mean?

Schultz has made massive strides in his defensive game, when his offense wasn't where it should be a season and a half ago, he was playing some of his best hockey in his own end and that has continued since, people think he's just this PMD, but he's turned into a solid well rounded defenseman in the last 2.5 seasons with the Penguins. Utility? So if that's what you meant, then yeah, he's proven his worth offensively and defensively and the Pens mostly gave him that contract based on his offense. That defense side of his game is him working at being a guy that deserves more minutes.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well, Marino wasn't even supposed to be in the NHL this year, so what he's done so far and his development, is likely a guy that slots into JS's spot if he walks anyway and even if he doesn't, this team has a good situation with how Riikola has looked as well as what they have in WBS.

It really depends on how this entire year goes with Marino and if he hits that wall most college players do with fatigue.

Most here had POJ and Marino pegged for a call up for a game or few then making a push in 2020-21 season. So we're insanely ahead with one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad