Salary Cap: The Endless Speculation Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
My big issue with Pittsburgh is the lack of actually decent but affordable neighborhoods. A bunch of neighborhoods in Pittsburgh are getting gentrified, which results in prices skyrocketing. Your options are to live in these gentrified areas, which is really expensive, or living in crap areas. You can even hit both if you want to live in Oakland.

The city is trying to become more hip, which is causing a massive racial/financial divide between the nice areas (Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Highland Park, ect) and the bad areas (Larimer, Hill District, Homewood, ect). There is no middle ground between those two, because gentrification keeps pushing the middle ground neighborhoods into either being the new East Liberty (the new hip neighborhoods) or the new Larimer (where the displaced poor people get pushed to).

For reference, I live in Highland Park so I do live in one of the nice areas. My complaint is that there are no more "decent areas with decent prices" neighborhoods. Greenfield used to be one of those neighborhoods, but it's in the process of going the same route that East Liberty went.
Ever consider living in the suburbs? Could be a good compromise of "nice area" with "not exorbitantly expensive"

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I think that comes from those endless color charts of micro-analysis that gives people knowledge into his past / current play.
Imagine getting knowledge into his past and current play, the horror. :laugh:

Schultz has been fine for us, but I don't love him on the PP (takes too many low-percentage shots into shin pads) and he's our 3rd best RD at this point. I'm happy to keep him for the rest of the season but I have no interest in allocating valuable cap space to him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ever consider living in the suburbs? Could be a good compromise of "nice area" with "not exorbitantly expensive"

Yeah I have looked at that, the issue is that it's a but more difficult to find apartments in suburbs. I would definitely never buy a house within the city, but apartment hunting is easier to do in a city than it is in a suburb.

Not surprisingly, when you start narrowing down to find a pet friendly apartment in a neighborhood that is bikeable and walkable with good public transportation, access to bars and restaurants, close to parks and not ridiculously expensive, you're not left with much in terms of affordable housing.

This is not a uniquely Pittsburgh thing, though. This is and has been happening in many cities throughout the USA.

Yes but Pittsburgh is notoriously bad with this, with being one of the most gentrified cities in the US. This plus the general disregard for the poorer areas results in Pittsburgh having massive class discrepancies, which fuels those two options for housing.

Last edited:

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Yeah I have looked at that, the issue is that it's a but more difficult to find apartments in suburbs. I would definitely never buy a house within the city, but apartment hunting is easier to do in a city than it is in a suburb.

Yes but Pittsburgh is notoriously bad with this, with being one of the most gentrified cities in the US. This plus the general disregard for the poorer areas results in Pittsburgh having massive class discrepancies, which fuels those two options for housing.
While I remember Pittsburgh being pretty bad about that before I relocated to the West Coast. I live in San Diego, and its one of the most mental places for discrepancies. In a 20 min drive you can leave Coronado Island where homes sell for millions and millions of dollars and you can see house wives driving Ferraris to the grocery store. To Imperial Beach. Where a 1400 sq ft condo will run you 400k, and a small 3 bedroom home will run you 750k-800k. Then to San Yisdro where people are coming across the borders for asylum cases or sneaking over to Mexico for cheap drugs. While right beside the entrance to the country literally built all the way up to the border wall is a boutique outlet mall. Its purely mental here. :laugh:

When ever I retire I hope to come back out East, and anyplace will seem sane compared to here. :laugh:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Pittsburgh wasnt what I thought it was going to be the first time I visited. I was pleasantly surprised. Took a nice drive through all of New England. You guys have a lot of leaves.

Pretty but not Rocky Mountains area pretty like where I exist.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh wasnt what I thought it was going to be the first time I visited. I was pleasantly surprised. Took a nice drive through all of New England. You guys have a lot of leaves.

Pretty but not Rocky Mountains area pretty like where I exist.
The only mountain I need is Mahnt Warshington

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Not surprisingly, when you start narrowing down to find a pet friendly apartment in a neighborhood that is bikeable and walkable with good public transportation, access to bars and restaurants, close to parks and not ridiculously expensive, you're not left with much in terms of affordable housing.

Carnegie seems to be going this route. Which, growing up in that school district, I never would have expected. :laugh:

Reactions: EightyOne

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Schultz was pretty damn bad last season.

He missed over half the season due to a leg injury. Of course he wasn't going to come back and seemlessly fit in. Sure some of that was due to JJ being his partner, but most of that was him coming off an injury that limited him to 20 games down the stretch.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
My big issue with Pittsburgh is the lack of actually decent but affordable neighborhoods. A bunch of neighborhoods in Pittsburgh are getting gentrified, which results in prices skyrocketing. Your options are to live in these gentrified areas, which is really expensive, or living in crap areas. You can even hit both if you want to live in Oakland.

The city is trying to become more hip, which is causing a massive racial/financial divide between the nice areas (Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Highland Park, ect) and the bad areas (Larimer, Hill District, Homewood, ect). There is no middle ground between those two, because gentrification keeps pushing the middle ground neighborhoods into either being the new East Liberty (the new hip neighborhoods) or the new Larimer (where the displaced poor people get pushed to).

For reference, I live in Highland Park so I do live in one of the nice areas. My complaint is that there are no more "decent areas with decent prices" neighborhoods. Greenfield used to be one of those neighborhoods, but it's in the process of going the same route that East Liberty went.

I love Pittsburgh, but the Pittsburgh I remember disappeared a long time ago. I'm not sad about it, it's the way things go. But I remember the mid-to-late 90s shitty Pittsburgh most strongly because I moved to Chicago as soon as I got out of high school, and I still have a soft spot in my heart for that old school grit.

It's strange to me to see Sliberty as the new hip spot, because it was rough when I was still in town. :laugh:

As for @shoplifter 's question, that's something better suited for the OT thread, I suppose, but I basically moved here for work, since I speak Slovak, Czech, and English. :laugh:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
My biggest issue with Pittsburgh is the SEVERELY outdated infrastructure.

There'll always be issues with the haves and have nots in any city really. It's unfortunate but I don't think it's unique to PIT.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He missed over half the season due to a leg injury. Of course he wasn't going to come back and seemlessly fit in. Sure some of that was due to JJ being his partner, but most of that was him coming off an injury that limited him to 20 games down the stretch.

Very true. I think he was relatively unimpressive in 17-18 as well and Olli did a lot of the defensive lifting on that pairing.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I love Pittsburgh, but the Pittsburgh I remember disappeared a long time ago. I'm not sad about it, it's the way things go. But I remember the mid-to-late 90s ****ty Pittsburgh most strongly because I moved to Chicago as soon as I got out of high school, and I still have a soft spot in my heart for that old school grit.

It's strange to me to see Sliberty as the new hip spot, because it was rough when I was still in town. :laugh:

As for @shoplifter 's question, that's something better suited for the OT thread, I suppose, but I basically moved here for work, since I speak Slovak, Czech, and English. :laugh:

Jesus you live in Chicago? You poor thing. No wonder you always seem cranky.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Imagine getting knowledge into his past and current play, the horror. :laugh:

Schultz has been fine for us, but I don't love him on the PP (takes too many low-percentage shots into shin pads) and he's our 3rd best RD at this point. I'm happy to keep him for the rest of the season but I have no interest in allocating valuable cap space to him.
Yes, Schultz should definitely just be allowed to walk this off season. Let him try and earn a big pay day in the post season. No reason to trade him, not going to get any return worth loosing him for depth in the post season.

Reactions: JackFr

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
What's the deal with Bennett?

Can someone give a decent scouting report? I don't catch many Calgary games at all.

I know he plays with an edge, only 23, and hasn't quite lived up to his draft pedigree, especially offensively.

Kinda curious what people believe he can blossom into if we acquire him.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Stay out of cities and it's Pennsyltucky, which is even worse than the cities.
i can shoot turkey,deer and bear off my back porch. i get a spring a summer, a fall and a winter. i have mountains, plains, lakes and rivers. when i'm hungry, i can go fishing or hunting, with out paying ten bucks to park. or having to wait 2 hr. in traffic. no one telling me what i can or can't do on my own land. can't get any better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad