Player Discussion: The Drama of Mark Scheifele in Two Acts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Many problems with this team, but Scheifele is not one of them.
Well.........

Offensively, he's having some impact within the confines of Maurice's system - there's almost nothing happening in the offensive zone when he's not on the ice. At least when he's out there, the Jets are flirting with average in terms of shot rate and distance:
scheima93
scheima93

However, I predict there will be few Selke votes for Mark this season:

scheima93
scheima93

He's getting eaten alive out there...

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Well.........

Offensively, he's having some impact within the confines of Maurice's system - there's almost nothing happening in the offensive zone when he's not on the ice. At least when he's out there, the Jets are flirting with average in terms of shot rate and distance:
scheima93
scheima93

However, I predict there will be few Selke votes for Mark this season:

scheima93
scheima93

He's getting eaten alive out there...
What's it look like in Isolate or relative to teammates? Playing with Laine and Connor probably doesn't help his defensive stats

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
With those images you can sort of tell the offense is by design - Scheifele's just a better version of the overall picture. It's horrible. Fire Maurice. Free Scheifele.

Are the Jets defensive woes all because of Line 1?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
What's it look like in Isolate or relative to teammates? Playing with Laine and Connor probably doesn't help his defensive stats
I don't have access to the isolated graphs. You can kind of glean it from the WOWY spider chart. Laine's a bit better both offensively and defensively without Scheifele. Connor is worse offensively but about the same defensively. Edit: Oops - I misread that. Connor is slightly better offensively without Scheifele but quite a bit better defensively without him.

Also, let's keep Beaulieu off the ice when Scheifele's out there from now on... :laugh:

scheima93

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
With those images you can sort of tell the offense is by design - Scheifele's just a better version of the overall picture. It's horrible. Fire Maurice. Free Scheifele.

upload_2020-1-21_12-53-39.png

upload_2020-1-21_12-53-50.png

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I don't have access to the isolated graphs. You can kind of glean it from the WOWY spider chart. Laine's a bit better both offensively and defensively without Scheifele. Connor is worse offensively but about the same defensively. Edit: Oops - I misread that. Connor is slightly better offensively without Scheifele but quite a bit better defensively without him.

Also, let's keep Beaulieu off the ice when Scheifele's out there from now on... :laugh:

scheima93
scheima93

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

The comments Connor made some time ago on that one goal after the beauty Niku pass were telling... He said something like they kinda have a set play for those situations but he was open and just hoped Niku would find him. Maybe I was reading too much into it, but I saw Maurice's system open before my eyes and I felt a disturbance in the force. I think Maurice will coach that pass out of Niku and that is everything that is wrong with this team's offence and I don't think high skill guys like Scheifele will flourish under that.

I mean yeah, you can always blame the players for not putting in the effort or not buying in, but when your system tries to make your very talented top-6 into a group of Lowrys (and I like Lowry!), there's something very wrong, AHL D or not. That said I do think Scheifele needs to step it up in the 2-way department though.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
He said something like they kinda have a set play for those situations but he was open and just hoped Niku would find him. Maybe I was reading too much into it, but I saw Maurice's system open before my eyes and I felt a disturbance in the force. I think Maurice will coach that pass out of Niku and that is everything that is wrong with this team's offence and I don't think high skill guys like Scheifele will flourish under that.

He is the wrong coach for a roster that talented. His style is not suited for the material he has. He should change because it's a lot harder to change the full roster to his liking, different variations of Wheelers.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
He is the wrong coach for a roster that talented. His style is not suited for the material he has. He should change because it's a lot harder to change the full roster to his liking, different variations of Wheelers.

Yep. Reminds of a while back (November/December or so in 2018) when we actually had a fun, dynamic, and successful 4th line of Petan-Roslo-MP85 playing for a bit. They were fast, could pass, didn't give up a lot defensively and could score. It was such a shock after the brutal 4th lines we'd seen so much of before, and would regularly see again.

It's become hellish to watch our "system;" can't imagine having to play in it. As Harrison Ford famously said to Lucas, "George, you can type this shit, but you sure can’t say it."

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I wonder what the motivation could be for something like that when he still has half the term of his most recent contract left.

He has a promise in writing from Chevy that he would always be on a line with Wheeler, and now he needs "the premier representation and management agency of professional hockey athletes" (it says so on their web site) to get his contract voided. This will make the Buff Brouhaha look like a tempest in a teapot.

You heard it here first. :nod:

Reactions: Luc Labelle

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Hopefully the first thing he instructs his agency to do is to talk to Chevy about how poorly coached this team is and that a change is needed

Reactions: Bigfish

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
The comments Connor made some time ago on that one goal after the beauty Niku pass were telling... He said something like they kinda have a set play for those situations but he was open and just hoped Niku would find him. Maybe I was reading too much into it, but I saw Maurice's system open before my eyes and I felt a disturbance in the force. I think Maurice will coach that pass out of Niku and that is everything that is wrong with this team's offence and I don't think high skill guys like Scheifele will flourish under that.

I mean yeah, you can always blame the players for not putting in the effort or not buying in, but when your system tries to make your very talented top-6 into a group of Lowrys (and I like Lowry!), there's something very wrong, AHL D or not. That said I do think Scheifele needs to step it up in the 2-way department though.

Great post! This is exactly how I’ve been feeling for a few years now.
He over coaches and doesn’t allow the talent to come through. He’s stubborn and will never change his “system”.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
You really don’t see an issue if Scheif’s play? :help:
In the grand scheme of our problems, it is very Low on my list of problems.

Defensively in our own end, his wingers are terribad which affects what he alone can do. Then there is our maurice system which welcomes all comers to the warm, buttery soft inviting spot in front of our net.

Reactions: thegr8one66

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
In the grand scheme of our problems, it is very Low on my list of problems.

Defensively in our own end, his wingers are terribad which affects what he alone can do. Then there is our maurice system which welcomes all comers to the warm, buttery soft inviting spot in front of our net.

His wingers may be "terribad" and have been many years then (Wheeler, Connor, Ehlers & Laine), but as also displayed on scoreboard, Laine has been better defensively than Scheifele.

Obviously the biggest problem with Jets TOP-6 is mediocre to bad defensive play. Add in careless attitude towards defending by new Fefe, Wheeler (has been much better when C) and also Connor, and you can see where that leads.

On 5-on-5, Scheifele is the most scored against Jet forward this season (47 goals against [+4 gDiff]) followed by Connor (44ga [-1]), Wheeler (34ga [-7]) and Laine (33ga [+8]), Roslovic (29ga [-4]) and Ehlers (28ga [+2]).

That IS a problem. It doesn't help if you score 50 if you allow 55.

Edit: all ES goals against (+ goal differential)

Scheifele 58 goals against, +3 gDiff
Connor 51ga, -1
Wheeler 44ga, -9
Laine 39ga, +11
Ehlers 33ga, +3
Roslovic 29ga, -1

When the only TOP-6 guy to be significantly "winning" on ES is Laine or 1 out of 6, I guess you can see why the Jets are currently not making it into playoffs.

Last edited:

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
His wingers may be "terribad" and have been many years then (Wheeler, Connor, Ehlers & Laine), but as also displayed on scoreboard, Laine has been better defensively than Scheifele.

Obviously the biggest problem with Jets TOP-6 is mediocre to bad defensive play. Add in careless attitude towards defending by new Fefe, Wheeler (has been much better when C) and also Connor, and you can see where that leads.

On 5-on-5, Scheifele is the most scored against Jet forward this season (47 goals against [+4 gDiff]) followed by Connor (44ga [-1]), Wheeler (34ga [-7]) and Laine (33ga [+8]), Roslovic (29ga [-4]) and Ehlers (28ga [+2]).

That IS a problem. It doesn't help if you score 50 if you allow 55.

Edit: all ES goals against (+ goal differential)

Scheifele 58 goals against, +3 gDiff
Connor 51ga, -1
Wheeler 44ga, -9
Laine 39ga, +11
Ehlers 33ga, +3
Roslovic 29ga, -1

When the only TOP-6 guy to be significantly "winning" on ES is Laine or 1 out of 6, I guess you can see why the Jets are currently not making it into playoffs.
Actually the top line is the only line that’s out scoring there opponents at all. The other lines are completely getting eaten up. There’s a article in the athletic that says the jets top line is out scoring opponents at 0.28 per 60 min. The Washington Capitals which are one of the better teams are getting outscored by a 0.33 per 60. There’s a lot more wrong with the jets then the top line. The whole team is in disarray. I think coaching is a big part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad