Player Discussion: The Drama of Mark Scheifele in Two Acts

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Knowing Maurice, he's not much for moving players up or down the lineup to get them going... Maybe he does an exception for Scheifele though, who knows.

I'm thinking he may want to see Laine with Hayes before we get into the PO's -

Reactions: Howard Chuck

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
That line could work really well. Elite zone entry guy paired with a really gifted passer who can find the best sniper in the game (when he is on) – should be fun to watch!

Yes, and it makes sense.
Put your "O off the rush" guys together and see what they can do.
It means KC back with 55/26 but that has worked in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Betelgeuse

Sep 21, 2018
Hi all,

Pretty big Scheifele fan here, but I don't get to watch the Jets as much as I wish I could. From your perspectives, has he peaked? I always felt he was a 100 point guy, but he seemingly hasn't taken that step. Is it because Wheeler runs the powerplay? He defers to Wheeler 5v5? Hoping to gather your observations.

Thanks

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Hi all,

Pretty big Scheifele fan here, but I don't get to watch the Jets as much as I wish I could. From your perspectives, has he peaked? I always felt he was a 100 point guy, but he seemingly hasn't taken that step. Is it because Wheeler runs the powerplay? He defers to Wheeler 5v5? Hoping to gather your observations.

Thanks

He'd probably get 10 more points just by coasting less, which is a habit he's picked up in the last year or so.

Reactions: Kratti

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

Im so glad we took Mark Scheifele.

Looking back with that Bob's choice all of them are not even close.

I beleive Scheifele , signed that contract because the Jets believed in him with that 7th pick.

Hope he retires a Jets.

Followed him as soon as we picked him in Barrie Colts. Never followed anything Ontario Hockey league but i did with Mark.

I remember him most in that OHL series with London Knights, he was a monster , its too bad he got injured and cant play game 7th.

The Jets after they left i got soured with hockey, just wTching playoff here and there.
But when the team came back.
Im like a kid a again.

Followed Elynuik, Hawerchuk Ashton

Then the Selanne era with the united nation line. Poster on my wall.

Go Jets Go

My dark horse for art ross is Mark

As long as Coach keeps Laine and Wheeler with him, its possible.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011

Im so glad we took Mark Scheifele.

Looking back with that Bob's choice all of them are not even close.

I beleive Scheifele , signed that contract because the Jets believed in him with that 7th pick.

Hope he retires a Jets.

Followed him as soon as we picked him in Barrie Colts. Never followed anything Ontario Hockey league but i did with Mark.

I remember him most in that OHL series with London Knights, he was a monster , its too bad he got injured and cant play game 7th.

The Jets after they left i got soured with hockey, just wTching playoff here and there.
But when the team came back.
Im like a kid a again.

Followed Elynuik, Hawerchuk Ashton

Then the Selanne era with the united nation line. Poster on my wall.

Go Jets Go

My dark horse for art ross is Mark

As long as Coach keeps Laine and Wheeler with him, its possible.

Hey that's 13 years old Laine at 0:08

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Mark looks real good - he looks to be on a mission this season and I look forward to watching him drive the #1

His combination of skills are what make him one of the very best players in this league and he looks like he wants to take it to another level (again).

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Guess that whole 55 and 26 not wanting to play with 29 was a bunch of BS? Thought so.

Scheifele is a special player, love watching him play when he’s dialed in. So dynamic.

Betelgeuse

Sep 21, 2018
Not sold he is being utilized on the PP correctly. Would like to see more puck handling and movement from him. He has so much more to offer.

Reactions: Board Bard

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Not sold he is being utilized on the PP correctly. Would like to see more puck handling and movement from him. He has so much more to offer.

Yeah, he mostly just stands around like he's playing baseball, waiting for Wheeler to dipsy-doodle his way to a turnover. For starters those two could change positions. Let Wheeler hulk around in front of the goalie.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yeah, he mostly just stands around like he's playing baseball, waiting for Wheeler to dipsy-doodle his way to a turnover. For starters those two could change positions. Let Wheeler hulk around in front of the goalie.
Ya , i agree . I also don't think Connor behind the net takes advantage of his shot , put Wheeler in Connor's spot and Scheif in Wheeler's .

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
What is going on with Scheifele...he looks lost out there. I think he's playing a bit better than he did for the last half of last season, but not much.

Here's 2017-18 (L) VS. 2018-19 (R) at even strength:
upload_2019-10-30_11-19-22.png
upload_2019-10-30_11-18-50.png

The charts aren't up for this year yet, but he looks worse than last year so far:

This season at 5v5 (rank among Jets F):
CF%: 47.17 (10) -1.61 diff compared to last season
CF/60: 54.19 (9) -2.20
CA/60: 60.68 (12) +1.47
- Corsi looks worse on both sides of the ice.

xGF%: 49.55 (3) +2.75
xGF/60: 2.36 (2) +0.14
xGA/60: 2.40 (10) -0.12
- xGF looks better on both sides - but I think xGF is still messed up due to the NHL's changed shot location tracking methodology.

And this is comparing to last year, which was not a good year for him. 2018-19 was worse across the board

2017-18 5v5 (rank among Jets F) :
CF%: 51.14 (8)
CF/60: 60.21 (4)
CA/60: 57.53 (13)
xGF%: 53.89 (3)
xGF/60: 2.59 (2)
xGA/60: 2.22 (13)

2018-19 5v5:
CF%: 48.78 (9) -2.36 diff compared to 2017-18
CF/60: 56.39 (8) -3.82
CA/60: 59.21 (10) +1.68
xGF%: 46.80 (10) -7.09
xGF/60: 2.22 (6) -0.37
xGA/60: 2.52 (10) +0.30

What is going on? This should be Peak Scheifele...

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
What is going on with Scheifele...he looks lost out there.

Isn't the usual response here to such downturns is that he must be playing with a slight injury? :sarcasm:

I'm thinking the dressing room issues from last year were never properly addressed in the off-season and with a little adversity affecting the team now, any commitment to put that crap behind them has fallen by the wayside. Buckle up. It could be a wild ride.

Yukon-fb01.gif

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I am sure Chef will gain momentum again - He is too good, too serious and too professional not to..

If he was all of those things it wouldn't have happened in the first place, especially the professional part. Actually, he is undeniably a pro since he gets paid for it, but the last couple of years he hasn't been a good one. He hasn't delivered value for money. There have been many athletes pro and amateur who have lost beloved parents etc. without a precipitous drop (or any kind of drop) in their performance. If Scheifele is still moping about a girlfriend, he needs to see a shrink. If he's not moping, he still needs to see a shrink to get his game back on track.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Don't know what's wrong, but he's not playing like a #1C needs to be playing.

Exactly....it's been widely discussed around these and other parts that we need an upgrade on #2 Centre.

Personally my thoughts are that we are closer to having a solid #2 with Little than we are with Scheif as a solid #1. (at least the version of him that we have seen since after Christmas last year give or take) Is he playing "down" to his $6.125 million salary. :sarcasm:

Reactions: cbcwpg

KB1971

Dec 15, 2017
Last season, it seemed that 55 and 26 both stopped attacking offensively with speed. Instead they slow up the play all the time, and for me they have not been the same since. Just based on the eye test of course, but they literally coast from center ice way too often. He looked like a true #1 C when he was the hardest working player on the ice, we don't see that player any longer. Yes, it's hard to do 82 games, but it is what worked. 55 and 26 were completely dominant a few years back.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Last season, it seemed that 55 and 26 both stopped attacking offensively with speed. Instead they slow up the play all the time, and for me they have not been the same since. Just based on the eye test of course, but they literally coast from center ice way too often. He looked like a true #1 C when he was the hardest working player on the ice, we don't see that player any longer. Yes, it's hard to do 82 games, but it is what worked. 55 and 26 were completely dominant a few years back.

I think there’s something to this. And I thought i remembered one of them acknowledging the fact that you can’t be at your best for 82 games sometime last year and it’s like they want to conserve their energy.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Scheifele's defence is atrocious! What the hell is Adam Oates teaching this guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad