Player Discussion: The Drama of Mark Scheifele in Two Acts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
With those images you can sort of tell the offense is by design - Scheifele's just a better version of the overall picture. It's horrible. Fire Maurice. Free Scheifele.

Are the Jets defensive woes all because of Line 1?
source.gif

Reactions: The Blue Baron

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
In the grand scheme of our problems, it is very Low on my list of problems.

Defensively in our own end, his wingers are terribad which affects what he alone can do. Then there is our maurice system which welcomes all comers to the warm, buttery soft inviting spot in front of our net.
As I said in an earlier post, sometimes this community eats its own. We've seen it with Wheeler, we've seen it with Laine and now we're seeing it with Scheifele. Scheifele is the best player on the team (give or take Hellebuyck when the goalie is "on"), the most important player next to Hellebuyck, and a center who is shackled by an overly complicated system and linemates who aren't always particularly helpful. I'd rather have four Schiefeles than four more-defensively-responsible Andrew Copps.

Can Scheifele improve defensively? Under this system, it would likely be at the expense of offense, which will make you wonder if it isn't just a saw-off. Under a different system, perhaps he can keep the offense and the team defense would also be better.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Actually the top line is the only line that’s out scoring there opponents at all. The other lines are completely getting eaten up. There’s a article in the athletic that says the jets top line is out scoring opponents at 0.28 per 60 min. The Washington Capitals which are one of the better teams are getting outscored by a 0.33 per 60. There’s a lot more wrong with the jets then the top line. The whole team is in disarray. I think coaching is a big part of the problem.

Obviously, yeah, but when not even your TOP-unit is significantly outscoring the opponent (sans Laine), that's not a good sign. Usually those 3rd and 4th lines are not even considered to outscore the opponent, but somehow make it even or close.

Perreault is one obvious "loser" as well.

Ultimately, everything on that is about coaching and the system they play.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Senaris was responsible for planning and preparing all of Scheifele's meals during the regular hockey season, which included cooking in Scheifele's home and arranging delivery of meals when the player was out of town for games.

This is the ultimate "skip the dishes" setup.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Seems like his agent/business guy should. I'll bet this has something to do with his recent agent switch.

It was just a wordplay. I don't actually know who got paid and what. Hope it gets sorted out soon enough.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Looks like Scheifele is being sued by his formal personal chef. Hopefully that gets resolved quickly.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/mark-scheifele-sued-former-chef-1.5467457
My brother made a bid at a charity auction for Senaris to come to your house and prepare and serve a 7 course dinner, we went, my wife got sick and I ordered a pizza on the way home. No wonder he is depressed, having to eat that shit all the time. Sheif should counter sue for impersonating a chef.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Just read the article. It feels like a classic peoples court tv show case. Which obviously means I will have that show's theme music stuck in my head all day....o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: Channelcat

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Seems to me like Scheif (or his agent on Scheif's behalf) asked to have his roommate included in the deal and the Chef said no, it's double the work. But is it really? If they're eating the same thing it's just double the portion, which isn't a crazy amount of extra work. Refusing to do so, IMO, would be insubordination and grounds for dismissal with cause. Scheif would be covering the cost of the extra food. Would the extra $5,000 not be enough to cover the workload of preparing/ordering a second portion?

We don't know the whole story here, just what was filed in court but to me it looks like the termination was justified. If he was supposed to provide Benefits but didn't that may be another story and he may owe this guy another $5-$10K depending on what was agreed to be in the benefit package. What services, limits, deductibles, coinsurance etc did they agree to? Was life insurance and LTD to be included? Did they even talk about what the benefits would look like? It could be the Scheif was just self insuring his benefits and would reimburse him for any medical expenses he incurred. If he was healthy and didn't have any medical expenses, Scheif wouldn't have had to pay him anything. There's lots of leeway with "Benefits" and no 2 packages are the same.

It's been a year and a half since he was terminated, so IMO why wait so long to do anything if you had a legitimate case. Feels like a desperate cash grab.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
This guy was a home cook who was on Master Chef Canada, went to the finals, don't know if he went to culinary school and has his papers but nowadays everyone is a Chef.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
This guy was a home cook who was on Master Chef Canada, went to the finals, don't know if he went to culinary school and has his papers but nowadays everyone is a Chef.
Guy sounds like a pain in the ass. Does he really expect double pay to cook for 2? It's exactly the same. Sounds like a chef though......lol.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
No culinary training, when he cooked for us he had just finished Master Chef, he works or worked for the city in the planning office. He was telling us that he was looking for backers to build a brick and mortar restaurant, he was hoping his success on Master Chef would help with that, I ate his food..... he would be bankrupt in less than 6 months.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Scorned employee sees a potential meal ticket from a multimillionaire. That's all this is.
Same as the American cop suing Masai Ujiri.

He's hoping for an out of court settlement to make this go away. The only problem for him here is Scheifele can definitely afford a more expensive lawyer

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
This should have exactly zero effect on his game. That’s why you have people to look after this type of thing.
From all appearances, Mark was raised by good parents and cares about his reputation. I know that if I were sued, even if it wasn't on the front pages of the paper, it would affect every aspect of my life to some extent. I disagree it would have "zero effect" on his game.

How much? We can't know.

Reactions: tacogeoff

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
From all appearances, Mark was raised by good parents and cares about his reputation. I know that if I were sued, even if it wasn't on the front pages of the paper, it would affect every aspect of my life to some extent. I disagree it would have "zero effect" on his game.

How much? We can't know.

Not sure he needs a personal chef if he keeps serving up sauce like he did to Wheeler last night

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I think Scheif should just get a little more happy to play hockey. I swear for the longest time 55-26 were playing together in the past, it looked like neither of them was enjoying it at all. Last night there was a good spark going. Just make sure you have a good 2nd line and are able to split the minutes about evenly and it should be ok. I think Wheeler's usage needs to be managed, he's not 25 anymore. You want him to have his best legs to stay effective at what he does.

C-C-L as a 2nd line is a question mark - 3rd period in the game before they were killing it, all 3 had great games up to that point as well. But looked like both Connor and Laine worked extra hard in that game, not sure they can keep that kind of effort going every night. Last night they were pretty bad. I think if Copp just keeps playing to his strengths they should be ok, but we'll see.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Seems to me like Scheif (or his agent on Scheif's behalf) asked to have his roommate included in the deal and the Chef said no, it's double the work. But is it really? If they're eating the same thing it's just double the portion, which isn't a crazy amount of extra work. Refusing to do so, IMO, would be insubordination and grounds for dismissal with cause. Scheif would be covering the cost of the extra food. Would the extra $5,000 not be enough to cover the workload of preparing/ordering a second portion?

We don't know the whole story here, just what was filed in court but to me it looks like the termination was justified. If he was supposed to provide Benefits but didn't that may be another story and he may owe this guy another $5-$10K depending on what was agreed to be in the benefit package. What services, limits, deductibles, coinsurance etc did they agree to? Was life insurance and LTD to be included? Did they even talk about what the benefits would look like? It could be the Scheif was just self insuring his benefits and would reimburse him for any medical expenses he incurred. If he was healthy and didn't have any medical expenses, Scheif wouldn't have had to pay him anything. There's lots of leeway with "Benefits" and no 2 packages are the same.

It's been a year and a half since he was terminated, so IMO why wait so long to do anything if you had a legitimate case. Feels like a desperate cash grab.

Actually it would be double the work if the other player is like Scheifele. I remembering reading a article how Scheifele had some kind of analysing to determine the exact foods he needed to eat for his body type and that he had personal diet made just for him.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Actually it would be double the work if the other player is like Scheifele. I remembering reading a article how Scheifele had some kind of analysing to determine the exact foods he needed to eat for his body type and that he had personal diet made just for him.

That's what I mean though. If you're preparing 2 different meals then yes, double the work, however if the other player is just eating what Mark is eating, I don't see it as a big deal. That's the assumption on my part. I assume his roommate was just happy having food made for them, but didn't really care what it was. I could be wrong about that, but it feels unlikely that I am.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
No culinary training, when he cooked for us he had just finished Master Chef, he works or worked for the city in the planning office. He was telling us that he was looking for backers to build a brick and mortar restaurant, he was hoping his success on Master Chef would help with that, I ate his food..... he would be bankrupt in less than 6 months.
Wait wait wait wait - the City of Winnipeg has a planning office?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad