Player Discussion: The Drama of Mark Scheifele in Two Acts

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
I have noticed since Chef started working with Adam Oates that the “compete” and battle level has gone way down. Watched him closely last night, and the straight legged gliding in both ends that we used to give Ovi grief about is prominent in his game right now. My son remarked that 55 won’t even need to take a shower after the game.

I really hope that the explanation is that he is hurt or nursing something. Otherwise, that is not #1 Centre level play in my opinion.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
It's all PoMo's fault – he has overplayed his top line for 3 straight seasons, and it's taking it's toll on Chef and Wheeler. As long as that moron is in charge, our top line will look spent, because they are.
I disagree with Pomo's usage of Scheifele, but it's not all his fault. Chef is a big boy and a pro, he needs to be better.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Maybe he is going through a Jerome Iginla. A notorious poor season starter.
But does that even apply here? Fefe seemed to be popping them in first few games but man he is dry now. But when he does not contribute offensively he sure goes Mr Invisible!
Where is the hockey geek we all know and love.
Something is up with the dude?:huh:

He needs to pop out of it soon or we maybe be done for.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I disagree with Pomo's usage of Scheifele, but it's not all his fault. Chef is a big boy and a pro, he needs to be better.

Regrettably, I don`t think the issue lies with Scheifele`s skill level or general competence at many aspects of the C position. I believe that the issue is attitudinal - and that he must necessarily make a decision as to what`s important. Is it team success and "winning", or, is it personal aggrandizement and competing for personal awards/recognition? Only when he is prepared to work as hard as necessary , and to do whatever is necessary, for team success will we ever see Scheifele`s true capabilities.

Not a novel concept at all - team> individual. Players such as Crosby, Bergeron came into the league with this firmly entrenched within them, while others such as Ovechkin had to learn/adjust. It seems to me that Scheifele is more similar to Ovechkin, but I have concern that the organization (and especially Maurice) have hurt, rather than helped, to encourage Scheifele to look inwardly.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Regrettably, I don`t think the issue lies with Scheifele`s skill level or general competence at many aspects of the C position. I believe that the issue is attitudinal - and that he must necessarily make a decision as to what`s important. Is it team success and "winning", or, is it personal aggrandizement and competing for personal awards/recognition? Only when he is prepared to work as hard as necessary , and to do whatever is necessary, for team success will we ever see Scheifele`s true capabilities.

Not a novel concept at all - team> individual. Players such as Crosby, Bergeron came into the league with this firmly entrenched within them, while others such as Ovechkin had to learn/adjust. It seems to me that Scheifele is more similar to Ovechkin, but I have concern that the organization (and especially Maurice) have hurt, rather than helped, to encourage Scheifele to look inwardly.
I don’t think it’s an ability issue either, far from it. PoMo’s usage of Scheifele hasn’t been ideal imo, how much of it is an issue in his play is debatable, but we know it’s some. He’s accountable for some of it though, regardless of Maurice.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I think we all know this, I just don’t want to get into “that” debate honestly.
It's a bit of a weird chicken-and-egg argument to me. Proponents of cutting his ice-time would believe that it would lead to better performance and more wins.

But the games aren't flowing like that. The Jets are trailing in most games this year. Thus he's seeing more ice-time as the team chases the game.

If the Jets were crushing their opponents, it would makes
sense to call foul on his over-usage. But usually we're down 1 or 2 goals in the third.

We're not losing games because Scheifele is getting too many minutes. Not this early in the season.

Scheifele is getting a lot of minutes because we're losing games.

In the same way, after a win some people will look at the minutes, see a somewhat even distribution, and then claim the distribution contributed to the win. Not necessarily true...the distribution is partly due to score effects.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
It's a bit of a weird chicken-and-egg argument to me. Proponents of cutting his ice-time would believe that it would lead to better performance and more wins.

But the games aren't flowing like that. The Jets are trailing in most games this year. Thus he's seeing more ice-time as the team chases the game.

If the Jets were crushing their opponents, it would makes
sense to call foul on his over-usage. But usually we're down 1 or 2 goals in the third.

We're not losing games because Scheifele is getting too many minutes. Not this early in the season.

Scheifele is getting a lot of minutes because we're losing games.

In the same way, after a win some people will look at the minutes, see a somewhat even distribution, and then claim the distribution contributed to the win. Not necessarily true...the distribution is partly due to score effects.
Sometimes I suppose. Last game the Little line was clearly better and should have had the most minutes while chasing the game.

Reactions: KB1971

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
They could go harder for 82 games if they played reasonable minutes.
That's my take on both Wheels & Scheif's off play more than not lately.
I meant to add later in games, because they are too gassed, playing in all situations game after game. I get your point that because we are behind early so often in games this year that we need our top lines pushing back to try to even up and get ahead. Funky something happening though. Weird phenominum stuff, but coaches are paid very well to figure these things out and aid in down-turns turning up in his players. Something needs righting in the star-board side of this ship.

Last edited:

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Maybe he is going through a Jerome Iginla. A notorious poor season starter.
But does that even apply here? Fefe seemed to be popping them in first few games but man he is dry now. But when he does not contribute offensively he sure goes Mr Invisible!
Where is the hockey geek we all know and love.
Something is up with the dude?:huh:

He needs to pop out of it soon or we maybe be done for.

Do you think he misses Buff that much that he is deflated spirit wise? He is not his normal level lately.

Betelgeuse

Sep 21, 2018
I remember thinking he would be one of the great players in the league. Not sure what's up with his motivation... that seems to be holding him back.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Two years ago he was ranked the 5th best player in the league if I remember correctly, and his comment on that at last year's training camp was that he was going to work hard because he wanted to be 1st.

Don't know what happened a few months after that......

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
Not 100% serious but he seemed to change right around the time Maurice said he would get a golden statue, and around the time Wheeler and Scheif had their duo interview with CBC. We went downhill from there.

Even his goal celebration changed to more of a T-pose/arms wide outstretched.

Reactions: KB1971

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Two years ago he was ranked the 5th best player in the league if I remember correctly, and his comment on that at last year's training camp was that he was going to work hard because he wanted to be 1st.

Don't know what happened a few months after that......

InconsequentialHelplessEquestrian-size_restricted.gif

;)

Reactions: Howard Chuck

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
It would be interesting to know how his TOI and avg shift length compares to that of the past 3 seasons. I am seeing lots of good stuff from him and he is a fantastic player but the cheating on defense/ lazy back check often happens when fatigued.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I think Schief's relationship with Wheeler is weird. Wheeler seems exceptionally possessive of him. Sometimes I wonder if Wheeler's abrasiveness is not the best for Schief. I remember at the year end exit interviews/press conference Schief said nothing, he looked off to me.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Maybe Fefe is just sad because he only make 6 million measly dollars a season.

That is always a factor in employees salary.
(You Re making less than your peers. Yes he signed in at a time when everything was lower.)
No matter how nice you are.
It will be at the back of your mind.
Top 8 C
Best player almost every night......

But he is grounded enough that he is able to deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad