The Devils came down to Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
I can't remember when Zibby becomes waiver eligible this year, it was either after 6,10 or 15 games

Uh oh, do that Brunner trade quick then. The window is short and Zib should be in Bingo until someones injured. Keep him up afterwards

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The easiest play in hockey is to dump the puck. How long had he been in the league?

He created a one on one against. Yes, he could have dumped it in and restarted the 4 on 3 breakout, which is only slightly less likely to be as good of a chance against, but the play went poorly and probably the worst case scenario happened.

The risk wasn't that bad of a risk to take. We had a point locked up and were not likely to score so killing time to till the shootout was our only real option. Had it gone well, we kill off 20 seconds and get the change. I'm more pissed about the MacArthur penalty than that. OZ high stick for no reason.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Wiercioch barely looks like an NHL player at this point. Handles the puck like a live grenade.

You must be a Cowen lover and are trying to justify getting him back in the lineup or else you just don't know what you are talking about.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Devils such a team of ufa's seem like a team that hf built through free agency and trades :) We should be able to beat the Devils in a series i think.

I dont understand what they are trying to do as a franchise. I know nobody wants to tank, but they are the oldest team in the league, have no good forward prospects, and arent contending anytime soon.

They have a ton of vets that would be useful to other teams at the deadline that could really kick off their rebuild. But I betcha they will keep them all, remain mediocre and try to get the 8th seed and get taken out in the first round.

At least they are building from the backend out.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
Uh oh. Here come the fanboys to defend their guy.

For the record I agree about scratching him, but wouldn't trade him unless we got a top-6 forward or top-4 dman in return.

I am not defend Legwand.But he is not only one to blame. First goal on Karlsson, second on Phillips and MacArthur should be blamed before Legwand. And Legwand play was stupid.
As for Zibby, where did i say i'd traded him for bag of pucks?

Golden

Haven't we suffered enough?
May 3, 2007
Considering how the game was going after the second period, I'll take the point. But man, what a terrible mistake for Legwand to make on a 4 on 3 in OT. That's not the kind of play you want to see a veteran making. But whatever, I didn't think they were going to walk away with any points tonight so I'll take the one.

Get Ryan back with Turris immediately. He looked so good back on the first line. He's wasted on that line with Zibby at the moment.

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The Sens played fine for most of the game. The OT turnover by Legwand made little sense, but our odds aren't very good with 4-on-3 no matter what.

I told myself I'd give them 10 games to see what sort of team they will be this year and for the most part I am pretty happy with what I see.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Thought Boro defended it perfectly. Didnt screen the goalie and had decent gap control. Lehner has to make that save. You can tell by his reaction he was pissed off he didnt.

Just confirmed by Lee Versage that he deflected the puck

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Easier said than done. The real thing to do here is to find a true #2 guy. Should have been done this summer tbh.

I expected Legwand to be tried as the number 2 but hasn't seemed like it yet.

If we do
Mac Turris Ryan
Chiasson Legwand Stone
Hoff Zibby Lazar
Michalek Smith Condra/Neil

That could maybe work?
Am I missing something from there?

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
Zibanejad is really a #3 centre right now on a good team. Probably was feeling a bit of pressure trying to produce with Ryan on his wing. No need to send him down, just place him where he should realistically be playing.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
We should send Zibanejad down to develop some offensive ability, doesn't look like there is much to his game except a nice slapper

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I dont understand what they are trying to do as a franchise. I know nobody wants to tank, but they are the oldest team in the league, have no good forward prospects, and arent contending anytime soon.

They have a ton of vets that would be useful to other teams at the deadline that could really kick off their rebuild. But I betcha they will keep them all, remain mediocre and try to get the 8th seed and get taken out in the first round.

At least they are building from the backend out.

They probably should sell some guys for young offensive help. Depending on what they can get for certain players, they can kickstart a rebuild considering how good our young D look and Schneider behind them.

Right now, we are on that playoff bubble. At best, we can do some damage in the playoffs on paper if we go into it playing well. Yet again, this team can just as easily finish in the bottom 5 of the conference.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
But I feel bad for the Senators.

Devils, in no way, deserved that victory. Everyone was gassed, and they were overworking Severson (27:31, 5 minutes more than any other player) even though he was gassed as well

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
They probably should sell some guys for young offensive help. Depending on what they can get for certain players, they can kickstart a rebuild considering how good our young D look and Schneider behind them.

Right now, we are on that playoff bubble. At best, we can do some damage in the playoffs on paper if we go into it playing well. Yet again, this team can just as easily finish in the bottom 5 of the conference.

While they may do some damage in the playoffs, i don't see them winning a cup with this roster. I mean how many guys are over the age of 30 on that team? They may survive against most of the eastern teams in a 7 game series, but i just do not see how they would come out with a victory over most of the western teams.

bonehead

May 27, 2002
Visit site
I thought they played a decent game. A few tweaks here and there to improve our speed and skill would really help. Thoughts:

- defense was pretty solid; PW played better than expected, love Boro's game and him paired with Gryba is (almost) growing on me
- Smith is nothing more than a 4th line centre; not enough speed or skill (or grit either) to play anywhere else
- I love Chris Neil but he just can't keep up; in what rational world do you play your fastest player (Hoffman) with your slowest?
- don't know why Legwand gets so much ice-time; lacks speed, intensity, and that last minute, short-handed, weak, cross-ice, backhand pass was the cherry on top
- as many have said on twitter, ryan + mika + chiasson can't play together ... not enough speed
- pretty obvious (to me) that Hoffman needs to play with/support some of our better/slower forwards like Mika, Chiasson or Stone; having said that, it would not surprise me if he was benched (unfairly) for the next game because he's "not producing consistently"
- would love to see Pageau called up to provide better speed and puck possession, but that's probably 20 games away
- Lazar was solid as always but not sure where he fits with Ryan back on the right side (maybe centre?)

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm pretty happy with the way the team played. I'm not sure why anyone is complaining

Zibanejad had a decent game I thought

Need to work on those second periods though

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I expected Legwand to be tried as the number 2 but hasn't seemed like it yet.

If we do
Mac Turris Ryan
Chiasson Legwand Stone
Hoff Zibby Lazar
Michalek Smith Condra/Neil

That could maybe work?
Am I missing something from there?

Wouldn't mind trying that out for a few games for sure. Still would prefer if they went out and got a better #2 guy though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad