The Devils came down to Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Wier was fine. Actually our whole D corps was fine. Don't understand the Wier hate.

Lehner was good but I thought he should have had the second goal. Looks like it was a clean shot that he just missed.

I'd like to see a second line of Hoff - Zib - Stone. I think that would get Zib going.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I thought Bobby Ryan was the best player on the ice by far. You could really tell he wanted to win this game for Ottawa.

Wiercoch is meh. I really wish he would show more offensively to justify his spot on the team.

Lehner, the rebound control...it's what's keeping him from being a legit elite goalie. The third goal was a tough save. The second one was not.

Zibenijad. I'm starting to get worried. He's practically a non-factor for the Sens.

Chiasson, he's got a sweet shot and big time hockey IQ. He is a player. I think Zbad is dragging him down.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Legwand had a pretty good game until that poor decision. I know he wanted to waste time but 4 on 3 with a long side line change in progress he has to dump the puck in and let everyone get back in their lanes. He's made a few risky plays like that since the season started but overall he's been a good depth centre.

I'm with you about getting it deep, at that point he had been out there for 56 seconds, more prone to making a mistake and at 4 on 3 you can't make those. Yes it was a one on one but even if Jagr missed the devils were looking at another chance or two as it would have been a 3 on 1. You likely aren't gonna win when you go down 4 on 3, keep it simple and get to the shootout.

His shift after we had tied it was concerning as well, just stupid plays and a lack of effort. He had an okay game but to me honestly doesn't seem like he cares at all, just finishing out his career. And I think he is killing to the first PP unit, seems indecisive and holds the puck for too long. Not impressed at all so far.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Was at the game. A few impressions:

- took forever to get in. I don't think it's feasible to maintain this level of security. It's ultimately going to cost them in terms of sales at the concession stands, because it eats into the time you'd be using to go get your beer or food before game starts. And then it gets crazy during intermission.

- great pre-game: nice, respectful and not over the top.

- team started flat (understandable) and NJ's play further slowed us down and put us to sleep. I think we should have countered it with more intensity. We did hit them a few times, but wanted to see more. Where was Smith?

- Turris is AMAZING.

- Chris Phillips: night and day from last year. Made some solid plays, confident, fairly mobile.

- Hoffman with another good game. Needs better linemates.

- Wiercioch was sssssllllllllllooooooowwwww. Dude can definitely move the puck and looks good on the PP, but he's the weakest D in our top 6.

- I don't understand why Ceci once again got the least amount of ice time among the defensemen, when he's our 2nd best.

- I'm gonna be honest: I didn't know this NJ team much, and I came away impressed by their defense. They're mobile and can move the puck.

- Henrique was always dangerous.

I'm ok with a point.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That's what hurts the most, we had all the momentum heading into that 2nd half of the penalty kill... Jagr just made a beautiful play.

Exactly. Similar to Turris 2 years ago.

Turris 2 years ago struggled very badly as number 1 C but still didn't cost the team games and was good defensively.

Zibanejad is in same boat. He just needs to get used to the added pressure, he's trying for sure but not clicking.

Exactly.

Maybe because it was a lockout year, or maybe because he was just a fill-in, but the fans gave Turris a lot of rope that year. And, now we're seeing the dividends of that patience.

I think we owe it to Zibby and the team to show the same patience with him.

I'm worried a lot about his compete level as well (along with a couple others on this team), but things like trading him or sitting him in the pressbox or whatever feels like a terrible long-term move.

Let's face it, folks. We don't have a guy in Bingo or in junior with his potential, and we're not likely to draft high enough to get someone better in the next few years, either. Our best bet for long-term success is to keep working with the kids we have and focus on development. We're not winning the cup this year, or next, so let's give these kids a bit of room to breathe.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Exactly.

Maybe because it was a lockout year, or maybe because he was just a fill-in, but the fans gave Turris a lot of rope that year. And, now we're seeing the dividends of that patience.

I think we owe it to Zibby and the team to show the same patience with him.

I'm worried a lot about his compete level as well (along with a couple others on this team), but things like trading him or sitting him in the pressbox or whatever feels like a terrible long-term move.

Let's face it, folks. We don't have a guy in Bingo or in junior with his potential, and we're not likely to draft high enough to get someone better in the next few years, either. Our best bet for long-term success is to keep working with the kids we have and focus on development. We're not winning the cup this year, or next, so let's give these kids a bit of room to breathe.
I just wish Ziba had had the opportunity to dominate at the AHL level before coming up. Maybe moving him to wing for a year or two could have the same effect. Let him loose, bowl over the opposition and not worry about too many things.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Zibanejad was good tonight. Not sure why people are saying otherwise. He may not have scored but he was very reliable defensively and made an impact all over the ice with his size and speed.

The offense will come. He showed flashes, particularly when he was manning the point with Karlsson on the powerplay. Just a matter of time before he starts hitting the stat sheet on a consistent basis.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah I'm not sure why people seem to be railing on Zibanejad after tonight's game

He was dynamite on the point on the PP

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Zibanejad was good tonight. Not sure why people are saying otherwise. He may not have scored but he was very reliable defensively and made an impact all over the ice with his size and speed.

The offense will come. He showed flashes, particularly when he was manning the point with Karlsson on the powerplay. Just a matter of time before he starts hitting the stat sheet on a consistent basis.
I don't know if this was addressed to me, but I didn't criticize his play and I don't think he's been bad at all. I just think he can be sooo much better.

canucks95

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver
Don't understand why Ceci's minutes have been on par or less than Gryba? pretty ridiculous imo.

I'd like to see:

Mac-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Lazar-Chiasson
Michalek-Zibanejad-Stone
Smith-Legwand-Neil

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
Wier was fine. Actually our whole D corps was fine. Don't understand the Wier hate.

Lehner was good but I thought he should have had the second goal. Looks like it was a clean shot that he just missed.

I'd like to see a second line of Hoff - Zib - Stone. I think that would get Zib going.

Yeah that's actually a good idea.

Line 1: MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Line 2a: Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
Line 2b: Michalek - Legwand - Chiasson
Line 4: Condra - Smith - Lazar

Line 1 was dominant in last night the third (and for most of last year) and need to stay together. Line 2a has a lot of youthful verve and a Bingo connection, with Stone as the playmaker and Zibby and Hoffman as the finishers. Line 2b is a solid two-way line despite lack some speed. And I don't like Lazar on line 4, but I think this good be a pretty solid trio.

langcam

Dec 7, 2009
Burlington
Forwards:

-Turris played fantastic, great to see him excelling so far this season. Top line was solid especially with Ryan.
-Moving Ryan up and putting Stone + Hoffman with Zibs looks promising.
-Another solid effort/showing from Hoffman.
-Lazar was solid in his role.

Defense:
- Ceci NEEDS more minutes, calm, composed and moves the puck very well.
-Weir was solid enough.
-Cowen needs to get some looks over Gryba for sure.
-Philips is playing well but he is still so terrible when moving the puck and is just killing our puck mobility/transition out there. Needs to be moved out of the top pair.
-Methot would be nice to have
- Boro was solid in his role, needs to keep playing hard and CLEAN.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Because he was paired with Wiercioch :shakehead

Then why did Wiercioch get the 3rd most minutes at just under 20min? You should give your head a shake. The reason why Ceci doesn't get as many minutes is pretty simple if you guys actually think about it for a second. Karlsson plays 30 minutes on the right side which leaves another 30 minutes to split between Ceci and Gryba. Ceci imo should be getting about 18 min and Gryba about 12min.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Then why did Wiercioch get the 3rd most minutes at just under 20min? You should give your head a shake. The reason why Ceci doesn't get as many minutes is pretty simple if you guys actually think about it for a second. Karlsson plays 30 minutes on the right side which leaves another 30 minutes to split between Ceci and Gryba. Ceci imo should be getting about 18 min and Gryba about 12min.

Or Karlsson should get maybe 26 minutes so Ceci can have 20 and Gryba 14.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Or Karlsson should get maybe 26 minutes so Ceci can have 20 and Gryba 14.

Yup, I agree with that.....There is no reason to give Karlsson 30 minutes when they are playing a back to back. I think 25\26min a night is perfect and that way you don't tire him out by the end of the year.

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
Zibanejad threw some big hits but he didn't really generate anything with his line last night. Not too sure how much longer his opportunity will last before Stache/Murray will want to give someone else a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad