The Dallas Stars look really bad

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Pavelski hasn’t played center regularly since 2011.

So are we still all thinking that the Sharks letting Pavelski go to sign Karlsson was a mistake? I noticed that thread has quietly disappeared from the front page...

Pavelski and Burns were an amazing duo, but I think any Sharks fan could have told you that Pavelski would struggle without Burns and Burns would make do with other forwards.

Correction, almost every Sharks fan did say he would struggle and almost everyone else didnt believe us.

Except maybe not on r/sanjosesharks lol

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Micah said they would win the Cup so that had my attention.

He's either spot on or absurdly off the mark.

Micah’s model said that Pavelski was the driving force of the Burns-Pavelski connection, and that Burns was a horrible player.

It’s still early, but it seems like he’s going to be absurdly off the mark here.

Reactions: Machinehead

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Micah’s model said that Pavelski was the driving force of the Burns-Pavelski connection, and that Burns was a horrible player.

It’s still early, but it seems like he’s going to be absurdly off the mark here.

Yeah, that’s ridiculous. I can’t imagine having watched more than a handful of Sharks games last season and reaching the conclusion that Pavelski was the driver in that relationship.

Out of curiosity, how did the model make the distinction? I’m genuinely curious what data could provide that conclusion.

Reactions: Machinehead

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
If you put together a team with “leaders” like Benn and Seguin, you’re already in a world of trouble. Benn is washed and has the worst contract in the league, while Seguin has world class skill but doesn’t really care about winning hockey games.

Ben Bishop completely carried that team on his back last season with an insane effort; any drop off from him was going to be felt hard all around.

This is patently absurd and such a weak attempt to invoke the 2013 tropes about him, that should be put to bed by now.

If Bishop backstopped the D last year, Seguin drove the offense for the team when his Captain disappeared for long stretches.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Pretty telling when he didn’t even bother testing the market and signed (at the time) a team-friendly deal nine months before he would’ve hit free agency. His rep in the league was shot after Boston dumped him, and while he’s posted good numbers in Dallas, he’s never been a guy who’s going to carry a team in the postseason. Other teams know this; Dallas knew they had to keep him to maintain their “core,” which is looking pretty sorry at the moment.

He didn't test the market because he would've been a UFA this last off-season, not when he signed. If he'd have held out on signing, you'd be singing a different ugly tune about him ruining the team's locker room atmosphere by trying to exploit the situation or something and dragging on the suspense whether he'll sign or not. Guaranteed!!

And lookie there.... Invoking the 2013 nonsense. All in all, this is an assessment too stupid for words.

Obviously you pay no attention to how poorly Nill has surrounded his two offensive stars over the years and essentially wasted their talents. Klingberg has been atrocious, and Pavelski and Radulov haven't been that great either, but hey.. keep hacking at it.

Last edited:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
They never really had great depth up front, and some of their key guys were questionable coming into the season. Physical forwards like Benn tend to decline at an early age, and he already showed signs of that last year, and that looks like it's just continuing. Pavelski is 35 years old, if he puts up ~20 points less than last year, nobody should be shocked.

Seguin, Radulov, Klingberg, and Bishop I expect will rebound and do better, but if guys like Benn/Pavelski are on the legit decline, then even with those other guys rebounding they're looking like a bubble team. I think they're better than their slow start suggests, but also don't think they're contenders.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
You might want to brush up on when hockey players reach their prime because at 30 his best hockey playing days are long over.

There's plenty of skilled players that are still putting up huge numbers in their 30s.

Obviously right now Benn's not one of them, but I'm just saying there's no one else to blame for his decline in recent years.

Something's clearly missing from his game.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
They never really had great depth up front, and some of their key guys were questionable coming into the season. Physical forwards like Benn tend to decline at an early age, and he already showed signs of that last year, and that looks like it's just continuing. Pavelski is 35 years old, if he puts up ~20 points less than last year, nobody should be shocked.

Seguin, Radulov, Klingberg, and Bishop I expect will rebound and do better, but if guys like Benn/Pavelski are on the legit decline, then even with those other guys rebounding they're looking like a bubble team. I think they're better than their slow start suggests, but also don't think they're contenders.

I really don't think Pavelski is "declining". He still gets what feels like a ton of scoring chances around the net he has just struggled to finish to start this season. When the PP starts improving he should start producing at a good pace. Hopefully his goal last night can give him a boost

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
Their "great depth" up front is extremely exaggerated. Also, for all the people giving Anaheim crap for overly relying on Gibson, you better be doing the same for Dallas goalies. They are human punching bags every night.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I really don't think Pavelski is "declining". He still gets what feels like a ton of scoring chances around the net he has just struggled to finish to start this season. When the PP starts improving he should start producing at a good pace. Hopefully his goal last night can give him a boost

I do find it amusing that we've heard repeatedly from Sharks fans that Pavelski thrives on tip-ins, that he practiced time and time again with Brent Burns in San Jose, and that there's really no parallel for him to continue being effective in Dallas.

Early results seem to back up that hypothesis - even if he finally managed to crack that goose egg last night with, you guessed it, a tip-in. :laugh:

Hopefully Monty runs some tip-in drills and gets an effective system going.

I mean, that is if Dallas starts running the occasional practice.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Should start a "who gets fired first?" poll between Hynes and Montgomery.

TheNorthStars

Stars/Leafs
Sep 3, 2018
Coach, our big offensive guys not producing, Klingberg having a rough start as well.

Theyve been a pain to watch this year because I know they can be better.. Changes need to be made and we are going to take a lot of L's before anything is done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad