The Dallas Stars look really bad

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
The issue is very clear: Players can't score, team doesn't drive offense well enough, and the PP is absolutely awful and has singlehandedly cost us several games because they can't capitalize

Play style needs to change or this team is f***ed, if not already. Already extremely unlikely they're able to make the playoffs this season and we're only 9 games in it's so frustrating to watch

Look how defeated they look.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The only team left without a win in regulation.

To hit 90 points, they would have to play at a 98 point pace in their remaining 73 games. That for a franchise that has gotten 98 points in a full season once since 2007.

One more game on the road, where they haven't had much success, then 4 home games to close out the month, two of them against Ottawa and Minnesota. Even if they sweep the 5 games, they still wouldn't be breaking even for the year. That's the hole they're in. They almost have to be in Game 7 mode for the next week and a half. Not many expiring contracts for the deadline either, should things continue this poorly.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
They play a system that stifles any kind of offense and their goalies aren't covering for it anymore. Excellent goaltending masks a lot of flaws and the coaching staff has no idea what to do now that their security blanket isn't there for them anymore. Nill has failed to surround this team with young talent and is afraid to give young players a chance. Montgomery has lost the room and Nill knows that if (WHEN) Montgomery is done so is he. The system Montgomery employs demands a very high amount of discipline and effort. Its easier to buy in to it when it appears to be working. It is a lot harder to buy in when its not showing any results. Its also not fun to play in and a garbage product to watch.

The problems here are overwhelming coaching related. The entire team didn't just forget to play hockey. Its one thing to lack scoring depth at even strength but a team with Seguin, Benn, Radulov, Pavelski, Hintz, Heiskanen, and Klingberg should not have a PP of 4%. At minimum this a team that should have an excellent 1st line and 1st PP unit even if they are lacking everywhere else.

They had their best game this season when Montgomery gave up and turned the locker room over to Benn in between periods. Says a lot.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
This has to be coaching related now. The entire offensive system that Montgomery and Johns Stevens build in the offseason is dump the puck , forecheck , pass to the point , bomb away and hope for something. The players who are less effected are the fast players because they can still score off the rush but those who aren't fast enough to get into odd man rushes will only score off random events. Its f***ing awful. I have no idea what the hell the coaching staff though they would create there. Klingberg is now completely ineffective offensively since he's relegated to shooting dumb shots who have no chance .

The team is scoring less than two goals per game. Nobody is f***ing winning games like that. Even when the team plays like a cohesive unit like they did tonight at times the offensive system looks like dogshit and it doesn't create any scoring chances.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Honest question. Wasn’t this the club with the I believe owner who attempted to throw both Seguin and Benn under the bus publicity last season?

If I’m not mistaken it likely didn’t help. Sure the players are very well paid but if you don’t respect the Boss it’s really hard to run thru a wall for him.

We’ve seen first hand many times that the players just don’t play for the other guys in the room if the management above is toxic.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Ben Bishop was a god last year. That team had no business making the postseason barely scraping 200 goals last year. Still didn't think they'd be THIS bad though.

Central is a goddamn mess rn.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Honest question. Wasn’t this the club with the I believe owner who attempted to throw both Seguin and Benn under the bus publicity last season?

If I’m not mistaken it likely didn’t help. Sure the players are very well paid but if you don’t respect the Boss it’s really hard to run thru a wall for him.

We’ve seen first hand many times that the players just don’t play for the other guys in the room if the management above is toxic.

Team President Jim Lites did indeed to public with his criticism of Seguin and Benn last year - and I think it actually did help. I feel like their play improved after that story made the rounds.

No clue what management needs to do this time around, but change must be on the horizon.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Team President Jim Lites did indeed to public with his criticism of Seguin and Benn last year - and I think it actually did help. I feel like their play improved after that story made the rounds.

No clue what management needs to do this time around, but change must be on the horizon.

No it didn't- Seguin had been doing just fine before that did fine after and Benn never really did fix his offense much after that rant. What saved last season was Bish and Zucc coming in to usher Hintz's emergence.

Lites is a f***ing lawyer with no hockey background and without an ounce of common sense calling last year's squad in December the best since the 1999 cup winning squad. f***ing moron. Serves him and his old boys club well , watching their shitty off-season plans blow up in their faces.

Stevonidas

Wanna go pretty boy?
Jul 14, 2007
The Lone Star State
tenor.gif

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010

What if it's (some of) the players themselves that are toxic? T. Seguin for instance was let go from the Bruins because he carried himself in an immature way.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
It's sad. I had high hopes for Dallas this year, but it's been painful to watch so far.

Hopefully they turn it around or trade Bishop to the Red Wings when the fire sale begins.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
They play a system that stifles any kind of offense and their goalies aren't covering for it anymore. Excellent goaltending masks a lot of flaws and the coaching staff has no idea what to do now that their security blanket isn't there for them anymore. Nill has failed to surround this team with young talent and is afraid to give young players a chance. Montgomery has lost the room and Nill knows that if (WHEN) Montgomery is done so is he. The system Montgomery employs demands a very high amount of discipline and effort. Its easier to buy in to it when it appears to be working. It is a lot harder to buy in when its not showing any results. Its also not fun to play in and a garbage product to watch.

The problems here are overwhelming coaching related. The entire team didn't just forget to play hockey. Its one thing to lack scoring depth at even strength but a team with Seguin, Benn, Radulov, Pavelski, Hintz, Heiskanen, and Klingberg should not have a PP of 4%. At minimum this a team that should have an excellent 1st line and 1st PP unit even if they are lacking everywhere else.

They had their best game this season when Montgomery gave up and turned the locker room over to Benn in between periods. Says a lot.
Aka is this isn't the Lehtonens' Stars team anymore. They try to play it with Bishop tho. If you want any easy answer trade for Quick. H'e be great doing that role, and he'd be happier than dying in LA's cesspool

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
It's funny to think about.. during preseason they got blown out by Florida 6-0 on home ice after a no-show effort. Every Dallas fan probably remembers a 6-0 loss out of nowhere (they were streaking at that point) to Vancouver on home ice 2 years ago later on in the season that suddenly turned their season for the worse and started a 5-10-4 stretch that ended up costing them a playoff spot.

When that happened during preseason, i immediately got flashbacks of 17/18, and thought to myself is Dallas going to struggle out of the gate.

Well looking at the past few weeks it's had the same feel as 2 years ago.

It's different coach this time so you can't blame Hitch. I think it's time to look at the leaders on this team and ask is there something wrong with the way they're leading the team. Not just on-ice performance but also locker room. I don't know what type of guys Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin are in the room, but i never get the feel like they're leader types from the interviews i see. Both always just frustrated and they're certainly not getting it done on the ice either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad