The Curious Case of Benjamin Hutton

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
that he was drafted as an overager is just so weird to me. its not like he's small

He was a forward turned defensemen and playing in the CCHL made him fly under the radar.

He's a classic late-bloomer it's looking like, not physically mature until 19-20. I was at the game tonight, he looks really good - really good puck skills, skates, he has an ideal frame etc.

We got lucky.
I think credit should be given to Gillis and his staff. They targeted guys they felt were late bloomers. Size, skill, agility was apparently the them.
I am not sure if this has been posted but here's a nice article on Ben Hutton. Seems like the Canucks have done good things for Hutton's development:

http://www.pressherald.com/2014/02/14/ben_hutton_s_a_good_skate_after_all_/

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He seems like an awkward skater because he's so big but north-south speed is top-notch. What impressed me was when there was supposed to be a 2 on 1 for Detroit and Larkin was carrying the puck up full speed and from 4-5 feet behind Hutton caught all the way back and eliminated the 2 on 1 by the time Larkin entered our zone.

I just wish he was more physical, he rubbed a Red Wing player out hard last night but a couple times he could have been more aggressive to try and knock him off the puck. He was pretty physical in NCAA so maybe once he adjusts to the NHL he'll be more comfortable using his body.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
This kid is a revelation and better than I could have ever imagined. It's amazing a 22-year old rookie from the NCAA most of us have never seen before has managed to step in and become arguably the best offensive defenseman on the team with virtually no hiccups. We were saying last night that he plays a lot like Duncan Keith and I think that's a good comparison. I can't wait to see what he's like after five or six years in the league.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Hutton's poise, not his skating, is really what stands out to me. Mentioning Duncan Keith in the same sentence is a bit absurd right now, but his strong play seems to be projectable going forward too.

Him and Tanev are the foundation of a strong future defense.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
This kid is a revelation and better than I could have ever imagined. It's amazing a 22-year old rookie from the NCAA most of us have never seen before has managed to step in and become arguably the best offensive defenseman on the team with virtually no hiccups. We were saying last night that he plays a lot like Duncan Keith and I think that's a good comparison. I can't wait to see what he's like after five or six years in the league.

he is like a slightly bigger and slower version of Keith. hopefully he can continue to improve into a top dman like Keith. :yo:

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Hutton's poise, not his skating, is really what stands out to me. Mentioning Duncan Keith in the same sentence is a bit absurd right now, but his strong play seems to be projectable going forward too.

Him and Tanev are the foundation of a strong future defense.

In style and mold. In pedigree, we obviously can't compare them.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
To whom? This is the first time I've seen someone say this.
Reminds me of Muzzin, he's a big guy so obviously it's going to be more difficult for him to skate. He's a rough skater, not really a smooth stride but gets it done. Sbisa is someone who has a smooth, crisp stride. Obviously Hutton is a better skater than Sbisa but Hutton's skating is rougher. Nothing significant though.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Reminds me of Muzzin, he's a big guy so obviously it's going to be more difficult for him to skate. He's a rough skater, not really a smooth stride but gets it done. Sbisa is someone who has a smooth, crisp stride. Obviously Hutton is a better skater than Sbisa but Hutton's skating is rougher. Nothing significant though.

Yeah but there's a lot more to skating than straight-ahead stride. Edge-work and pivots are particularly important for defensemen and Hutton is good in both areas.

Last edited:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Yeah but there's a lot more to skating than straight-ahead stride. Edge-work and pivots are particularly important for defensemen and Hutton is good in both areas.
I mean his agility. It reminds me of Muzzin where he really puts a lot of force into his stride and even his upper body is kind of swinging around. Maybe I'm wrong but to me it looks kind of awkward.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
This kid is so ****ing legit.

Gonna be a definite 1st pair* dman probably by next season.

*in his play, not lineup position.

Last edited:

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
This kid is so ****ing legit.

Gonna be a definite 1st pair dman probably by next season.

That's expecting a bit too much... plus i think our #1 pairing is set for the next few years. That said its not like our 2nd pairing won't see 20 minutes and he could be our PP QB in the future.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Thank you Mike Gillis for drafting Ben Hutton in the 5th round of the 2012 NHL draft

:bow:

We actually have a transition game.

Our top 4 can now RELIABLY move the puck out of our zone 9 times out of 10. Hutton is probably the best at doing it by himself.

This kid is dynamite and has the potential to be the best offensive d-man in Canuck history.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
https://streamable.com/rh5h

UFza1Fi.png

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Hutton has always been a guy who'd rather get off a quick wrister than a slap shot, but his slap shot is still good. I don't have an issue with his shot. Its already much better than Tanev's. Also, i don't see anything wrong with his skating.

What's different so far is the amount of shots Hutton is taking. In Maine, when i watched, he would shoot without hesitation and got a lot of pucks on net.

Here are his shots on goal per season:

2014/2015: 2.95/game
2013/2014: 3.40/game
2012/2013: 2.32/game (freshman season)

NHL so far: 1.58/game

So, i think he just really needs to shoot more and be moved onto the 1st PP, with Edler moved to the 2nd. His shot accuracy has just not been the same since his mangled fingers.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
It's the small things he does that impresses me. Did anyone see that pass he made to himself behind Miller when someone was hunting him down tonight? He did it so casually to shake off the forechecker.

That reeks of confidence. The only Canuck defender to do something like that is Tanev. The only forwards to do this consistently in the o-zone are the Sedins.

This guy is on track to be a top 2 defender for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad