2011-2012 KEMPTVILLE CCHL 35 7 20 27 25
2011-2012 NEPEAN CCHL 22 4 12 16 6

Size: 6'2, 183lbs

Committed to University of Maine

Last edited by a moderator:

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I have not heard of him or researched him but heres an article from a quick search:

Ben Hutton, a point-producing 6-foot-3, 195-pound defenseman for the Kemptville (Ontario) 73’s of the Central Canada Hockey League, has verbally committed to attend the University of Maine on a scholarship beginning next fall.

Hutton, who plays in all situations, is the team’s No. 2 scorer with seven goals and 19 assists in 30 games. He leads the team in assists and in power-play points with 12 on four goals and eight assists.

He was one of just five CCHL players chosen to play for silver medal-winning Team Canada East in the World Junior A Challenge in British Columbia earlier this season.

“He’s the best defenseman in our league, by far. He’s like a man among boys out there,” said Kemptville coach and general manager Pat Malloy. “He oozes with pro potential. His skill level is so high.”

He’s big and his puck skills and hands are off the charts,” added Malloy. “He’s a one-man forecheck breaker, he has a good shot and he’s an above-average skater. He plays 35 minutes a game and plays important minutes against the other team’s top line.”

“He’s a straight arrow from a good family who will do anything to win and will do anything for the team,” said Malloy. “He’s a dream to coach.”

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/12/...s-point-producing-defenseman-for-next-season/

Color me intrigued. Definitely.

And that last bolded is for Gillis.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
dammit Wilcox picked by Phi only a few picks earlier. Still not very happy about our 2nd...Severson was there...dammit.

arsmaster*

At this point, we're clearly taking homerrun swings.

Neither of these guys are 'safe', just wish I knew who this guy was beforehand.

Tough to scout that level.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Long-range pick of a defender who on paper has decent size and offensive skills. Really impossible to comment much since he's playing at a low level and nobody here will have seen anything from him.

kellmuff96

Sep 13, 2010
He's from my hometown. Great kid that would have been more known had he played in the OHL. Wanted to go to the NCAA instead of playing for a bad team in Kingston. His draft ranking rose all year and was the 200th rated player by year end.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Is it fair to say we have a scout based in Nepean? Lol Price was from there and only played one year like this Hutton guy.

Maine's an okay school... Lost their best player in Abbott this year. We'll see how they do.

Hey, we do well with D men in the 5th round. I am cautiously positive with this one.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Seems like he has good size and potential and sounds like a typical Gillis pick,good smart kid going the college route.
Hopefully he can make a splash in the collegiate league similar to Patrick McNally.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
At least its a skilled d-man with size, not just a big guy People who cant score in juniors/college dont make the NHL.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
wow I just realized Coda Gordon went in the 6th...that is crazy. Clearly all teams are not impressed with this years talent with players going all over the map.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Is it fair to say we have a scout based in Nepean? Lol Price was from there and only played one year like this Hutton guy.

Maine's an okay school... Lost their best player in Abbott this year. We'll see how they do.

Hey, we do well with D men in the 5th round. I am cautiously positive with this one.

Dave Nonis played D and was the captain at Maine, so Hutton has big Canuck shoes to fill :)

But seriously, I like it. What can you expect in the late rounds? He has good size and skills: bigger than Price and McNally, but probably not as talented as the latter.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Don't really know anything about this guy, but on paper i'm pretty okay with this type of pick at this point in the draft. Seems like a good set of tools and headed to a decent enough school. Looks like another long-range project, but there's nothing wrong with that later in the draft like this.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
For what it's worth.... Craig Button likes the Hutton pick.

Hey guys, thought I'd give you some info on Hutton. I did the colour commentary all year for the Nepean Raiders, and I'll tell ya, Hutton can play.

He's a big boy, but not overly physical. He is a very good skater, and has a heavy shot from the point. He was huge in the playoff run for Nepean when they ended up winning the CCHL championship. Had a big OT goal to keep their season alive.

What I like best about him is his poise with the puck. He is very calm and reads the ice very well. Terrific at jumping into the rush with and a good breakout pass.

Also, has some serious sick flow lol. But I'll be interested keeping tabs on him. Was hoping Ottawa would grab him but I think you might have something hear down the road boys.

Cheers

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Hey guys, thought I'd give you some info on Hutton. I did the colour commentary all year for the Nepean Raiders, and I'll tell ya, Hutton can play.

He's a big boy, but not overly physical. He is a very good skater, and has a heavy shot from the point. He was huge in the playoff run for Nepean when they ended up winning the CCHL championship. Had a big OT goal to keep their season alive.

What I like best about him is his poise with the puck. He is very calm and reads the ice very well. Terrific at jumping into the rush with and a good breakout pass.

Also, has some serious sick flow lol. But I'll be interested keeping tabs on him. Was hoping Ottawa would grab him but I think you might have something hear down the road boys.

Cheers

Thanks for the contribution.

Nice to hear from someone with first hand knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad