The Curious Case of Benjamin Hutton

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Hes a slam dunk top pair defenseman, im more excited for him than any other of our current prospects.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Thank you Mike Gillis for drafting Ben Hutton in the 5th round of the 2012 NHL draft

:bow:

We actually have a transition game.

Our top 4 can now RELIABLY move the puck out of our zone 9 times out of 10. Hutton is probably the best at doing it by himself.

This kid is dynamite and has the potential to be the best offensive d-man in Canuck history.

I'd be interested to see his zone exit stats, if it's available somewhere. He seems to want to make the play almost all the time and will only really go glass and out when absolutely necessary.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
https://streamable.com/rh5h

UFza1Fi.png

He seems to love that fake. I'm guessing it was a go-to move of his in college to shake off pressure from forecheckers. :laugh:

Hutton has always been a guy who'd rather get off a quick wrister than a slap shot, but his slap shot is still good. I don't have an issue with his shot. Its already much better than Tanev's. Also, i don't see anything wrong with his skating.

What's different so far is the amount of shots Hutton is taking. In Maine, when i watched, he would shoot without hesitation and got a lot of pucks on net.

Here are his shots on goal per season:

2014/2015: 2.95/game
2013/2014: 3.40/game
2012/2013: 2.32/game (freshman season)

NHL so far: 1.58/game

So, i think he just really needs to shoot more and be moved onto the 1st PP, with Edler moved to the 2nd. His shot accuracy has just not been the same since his mangled fingers.

Would that be the injury from the 2011 Final?

Agreed with you though - I think we're potentially better trying Hutton on the 1st unit. To me the guy just oozes offensive savvy.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Hes a slam dunk top pair defenseman, im more excited for him than any other of our current prospects.

I'm not sure about that. It takes a lot to be a top pairing Dman. I would be happy if Huttong becomes a top 4 Dman.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He's definitely a top 4 defenceman, it's just a matter of if he can evolve into a number 1 defenceman. He has all the tools to become one, especially the way he can hold on to the puck and create space, that's a special attribute.

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008
I agree with the poster earlier....I am more excited about Hutton at this point then any other prospect...Been keeping an eye on him since we drafted him.

He definitely has the POTENTIAL to become a top pairing D.

I really wanna see him play more with Hamhuis.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
There was a play last night where he had the puck at the Philly blue line, was getting harassed by flyers as the Canucks were changing and he did a button hook spin at his own blue line and dumped the puck in.. Just beautiful to watch.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I agree with the poster earlier....I am more excited about Hutton at this point then any other prospect...Been keeping an eye on him since we drafted him.

He definitely has the POTENTIAL to become a top pairing D.

I really wanna see him play more with Hamhuis.

Definitely on board with this....no other prospect in the 'Nucks system has shown the upward trajectory of Hutton....guy has come out of nowhere, and not a mirage...does something every game that brings you out of your seat...when he starts joining the rush more and cements his role on the second-unit pp, look out!

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
It's hard not to get carried away with expectations. Just looks so good and I get the impression he's holding back on the throttle a bit still offensively.

Last night he probably had 4 or 5 turnovers in his own zone, which is too many. But they didn't faze him, which is huge. Didn't start hesitating or playing safe. And his ability to take away shooting and passing lanes, he frequently cleans up his own blunders. His confidence is high right now, we'll really see what we have when he responds once he has to go through the inevitable stretch of poor play.

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but I think I'm going to start calling him Chuck. ;)

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I hope he switches over to the right side so we can pair him with Hamhuis. Then we have a nice solid top-4 and can shuffle the chairs on the bottom pairing. He did play some right side in college didn't he?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I hope he switches over to the right side so we can pair him with Hamhuis. Then we have a nice solid top-4 and can shuffle the chairs on the bottom pairing. He did play some right side in college didn't he?

I believe on the PP at least, although he played pretty low, like forward low on it at times.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Hutton is the real deal.

Hutton is the real deal.

Even though it's a small sample size, I am convinced that he'll turn into one of the best Canucks defensemen in team history (if not, the best) when all is said and done. The guy has the poise of Chris Tanev, along with some significant offensive upside.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Hutton is the real deal.

Even though it's a small sample size, I am convinced that he'll turn into one of the best Canucks defensemen in team history (if not, the best) when all is said and done. The guy has the poise of Chris Tanev, along with some significant offensive upside.

I want to cry at how good Hutton is on breakouts.

How many years of Edler circling back

circling back

always circling back

behind the net

gotta circle back

wait

circle again

Oh a forechecker?

Gotta circle back

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I want to cry at how good Hutton is on breakouts.

How many years of Edler circling back

circling back

always circling back

behind the net

gotta circle back

wait

circle again

Oh a forechecker?

Gotta circle back

I hear you.

Having said that, Edler is what he is. A streaky defenseman that can play both poorly and brilliantly. When he's at his best, Edler is a worthy #2 calibre defenseman.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I hear you.

Having said that, Edler is what he is. A streaky defenseman that can play both poorly and brilliantly. When he's at his best, Edler is a worthy #2 calibre defenseman.

Yeah I didn't mean that as a knock at Edler, maybe I should delete his name. He just seems like the best avatar for the defense corps that has stuck around since 2011. You'd see the same thing out of Hamhuis/Tanev/Bieksa/etc. Too scared to lose possession of the puck by making any kind of play, too scared to get hit to rush it up ice.

Hutton is a breath of fresh air

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
I hear you.

I don't think "streaky" describes Edler, he was good for the entire last season. He is a physical reliable defensive D with a big shot that can occasionally join the rush and can make great outlet passes when given enough time and space. That's an extremely valuable piece, but on a Stanley Cup Team would only be a #2.

Hutton has the potential to be a dynamic offensive skating D-man, it's not completely impossible that he develops into a franchise d-man.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Can you imagine how hooped we'd be if he hadn't come along?

Regardless, I wish the Canucks had a couple more Huttons on the way. Bart, Weber and Sbisa are not guys that a good team has on defense. Well, maybe one of them at number 7.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Oh come on. At his worst, Edler is a worthy #2-#3 defenceman. His all-around good hockey playing ability is underrated here, it really agitates me.

Did you forget about Edler during the 2012-13 playoff series with the Kings? Wow that was some incredibly bad hockey by Edler.

Edler ranges from #2 to #4 and the reason why he ranges so low is because of his fragile mindset. Edler suffers from pretty bad confidence issues and absolute kudos to WD for figuring Alex out and joining him and Tanev together at the hip.

Thank you WD for doing the right thing and going with something that worked last season. *cough* *vrbata* *couch*

Edler has #2 type skill but #4 type mindset which CAN drag his skill down to a #4.

Thankfully, we won't have to worry about that anymore forever and ever.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Edler ranges from #2 to #4 and the reason why he ranges so low is because of his fragile mindset.

My barometer for Edler is watching for his double-clutch slapshot. I don't think I've seen too many of those so far this season.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Did you forget about Edler during the 2012-13 playoff series with the Kings? Wow that was some incredibly bad hockey by Edler.

Edler ranges from #2 to #4 and the reason why he ranges so low is because of his fragile mindset. Edler suffers from pretty bad confidence issues and absolute kudos to WD for figuring Alex out and joining him and Tanev together at the hip.

Thank you WD for doing the right thing and going with something that worked last season. *cough* *vrbata* *couch*

Edler has #2 type skill but #4 type mindset which CAN drag his skill down to a #4.

Thankfully, we won't have to worry about that anymore forever and ever.

Hes never a 4... at least on the Canucks, if you say he can be dragged down to a 4 then you can also say he can play as a 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad