The Curious Case of Benjamin Hutton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Getting wrist shot on the net more.

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with that. He's certainly got things he can improve on. It just feels like nitpicking considering how much better he has been than could reasonably be expected.

Puckerz

Jun 7, 2013
For a rookie especially, this kid makes the most ridiculous plays in tight against the boards when being checked.

"Oh, hard forecheck? Ill just put this back between both of our sets of legs, off the wall, spin around, pick it up and outlet pass."

Honestly, his little solo plays like that in our end of the ice get me more fired up than anything else this season. He consistently makes the other team's players look stupid.

So true, and that says so much about his potential, very similar to Tanev in that regard, only much more offensively minded.

Thank you Mr Gillis!

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Watched him live in the Pitts game so got a better perspective on him than I had before.
He had the crowd buzzing on a couple of his moves. He also made a couple of really questionable plays which I would expect at his age. Skates real well and is an excellent passer. It looks to me like he's still a little hesitant to jump up in the play at times as he's probably trying to make the safe play. Once he gets more experience I can see him being even more assertive in that area as I think he has the ability like Ehrhoff when he was here to skate the puck up and lead the attack.

Just as an aside, as a group I find our defense a little too soft. Hopefully at some point we can have a big physical guy to add to the mix. Edler is really the only one who occasionally punishes the other team and I think we need a guy who can intimidate skaters a bit more.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Just as an aside, as a group I find our defense a little too soft. Hopefully at some point we can have a big physical guy to add to the mix. Edler is really the only one who occasionally punishes the other team and I think we need a guy who can intimidate skaters a bit more.

This. This this this. Sbisa was supposed to be that guy, but he got rocked in the playoffs over and over. I expect JB and Trev to address this soon, Boston had a bunch of ass-kickers on their defence.

Ace101

Apr 2, 2014

I think they might believe that Pedan could be that guy next year

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I think they might believe that Pedan could be that guy next year

Yup. IMO there is a very good chance he's on the team next season and he's about as big, strong, physically imposing and tough as any dman out there. Guy was freakishly strong at 21 and it's scary to think where he will be in the coming years.

i thought sbisa was our "big punishing guy"

Sbisa led our defense in the regular season and playoffs last year in hits by a wide margin and is 2nd to Matt Bartkowski in hits right now.

Sbisa has thrown some devastating hits in his career. And unlike a lot of big, physical guys, he actually skates well enough to crush the oppositions skilled, shifty players.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Every game I get more and more ****ing hyped at this kid.
Quickly becoming my favorite Canuck. He's just awesome and it's only his first year!
F yes.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He's going to be a good player for years to come IMO. He's got that composure that is going to help him stick in the league regardless of how he produces. He's still young and will learn the defensive game more and more as he goes along.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Disgusting play on that Sedin goal. He's a game-breaker...didn't have the best all-around game this morning but still kick-started the comeback with a skillful display. It's hard to keep expectations realistic -- but we just haven't see a D-man like this.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
His shot is a muffin and needs to improve for him to turn into a real offensive weapon.

Also needs more shifts with the Sedins, who he compliments perfectly.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This guy is morphing into the Canucks best d-man before our very eyes....guy literally fell into our laps....can you imagine how bad this blue-line would be without this dumb luck from a fifth round draft-pick they didn't expect anything from entering the season?:shakehead

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
This guy is morphing into the Canucks best d-man before our very eyes....guy literally fell into our laps....can you imagine how bad this blue-line would be without this dumb luck from a fifth round draft-pick they didn't expect anything from entering the season?:shakehead

It's cringe-worthy how brutal we would be without him. Forwards excel when they are accompanied by quality puck-movers.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
This kid had another good game. The earlier parts were bad, but, as usual, he comes back and redeems himself almost immediately. Absolutely disgusting pass on Baertschi's goal. My only issue with him is that he has a relatively weak shot, but we can work on that. I would've loved to have seen Hutton on the PP with Salo and the Sedins/Burr during their glory days.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
This. This this this. Sbisa was supposed to be that guy, but he got rocked in the playoffs over and over. I expect JB and Trev to address this soon, Boston had a bunch of ass-kickers on their defence.

Physical D man? Why there's an ideal candidate right now - Dion Phaneuf.
:naughty:

OK I'll show myself out.
:laugh:

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

I'd like to think it was MGs superior drafting...

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Canucks best dman? cmon people, Christopher Tanev and Alexander Edler are leaps and bounds better.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks best dman? cmon people, Christopher Tanev and Alexander Edler are leaps and bounds better.

By leaps and bounds?....Hutton has become an ice-time leader on the Canucks and is the leading scorer amongst d-men.....Tanev is great defensively but is a pop-gun on offense, and Edler?....despite a scoring a goal last night it was his worst defensive performance of the season....guy is showing signs of becoming the turnover machine he was in the Torts era and he's now 29 years old. Hutton will their best d-man by the end of the season, if he's not there already...doesn't say much for Benning's promise to rebuild the d-corps after last year's Flames meltdown when a guy ticketed for Utica is a top-four guy.:rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad