CFL: The CFL Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
So the federal government that has embezzled untold billions into the hands of their elitist pals is unable to provide an interest free loan that amounts to cup holder change to a Canadian institution enjoyed by millions that dates back over a century. If the league was more popular in Montreal or Toronto you can bet your ass they'd have been given a blank cheque though.
If the league was more popular in Montreal , Toronto and Vancouver it wouldn't need a bailout.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Always easy to spend other people's money isn't it :laugh:

At the end of the day they're better off cancelling the season and take the time to better the business model. Unless fans are allowed in stadiums, they can't play period. At the same time, if the government had no interest in giving funds, they should have told the league months ago and then players/fans/media don't get strung along all summer just for nothing.
The CFL has to rethink it's business model as it has not been working in it's 3 largest markets. the attendance for Toronto Montreal and Vancouver are the 3 lowest in the league and TV ratings are very poor in Eastern Canada. I say get out of downtown Toronto and move north of the city. ( York Region) Bring in Halifax, Quebec City and Kitchener Waterloo. Heck why not Saskatoon.
Remove the Canadian ratio rule and stop paying high end dollars to a few "stars" . The league needs to reduce its costs dramatically and survive on average attendance of 18-20,000 or it won't survive.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Financial relief on the way for CFL players | Toronto Sun

441 players to get CEWS retroactive to July and through December. This will amount to about 10 million. Plus more since negotiations are on going for players on expiring contracts, plus more would be paid to league operations staff which wouldn't be mentioned in the PA's memo.

So the federal government denied the league a 30 million dollar loan....which would have gone to players and operations staff.....so the government instead pays players for not playing and people for not working....money that the government won't get back...

And people applaud this decision.....all in name of politics.....

Now consider that the carrying cost of the proposed $30 million loan would be more than covered simply by players paying income tax on their salaries. The government would have been better off financially by loaning the $30 million rather than doing nothing at all, (unless the league actually defaulted on the loan at some point, which is almost inconceivable). And now instead of the do-nothing middle ground, they've gone and just cut cheques for everyone to not work. So they chose the most expensive and non-sensical course of action. This would be surprising if it wasn't simply par for the course for the Boy King.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Now consider that the carrying cost of the proposed $30 million loan would be more than covered simply by players paying income tax on their salaries. The government would have been better off financially by loaning the $30 million rather than doing nothing at all, (unless the league actually defaulted on the loan at some point, which is almost inconceivable). And now instead of the do-nothing middle ground, they've gone and just cut cheques for everyone to not work. So they chose the most expensive and non-sensical course of action. This would be surprising if it wasn't simply par for the course for the Boy King.

I felt you very hard until the last sentence. Overall we've done great but agreed the government and as well the CFL have COMPLETELY botched this. I mean its a complete joke how they've cancelled the season. Independant baseball like the WPG goldeyes, or a super minor league like CPL soccer have managed a season. BTW neither of those leagues even HAVE tv deals, nevermind profiting there. The government and CFL have completely failed here. Just a joke.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
The CFL has to rethink it's business model as it has not been working in it's 3 largest markets. the attendance for Toronto Montreal and Vancouver are the 3 lowest in the league and TV ratings are very poor in Eastern Canada. I say get out of downtown Toronto and move north of the city. ( York Region) Bring in Halifax, Quebec City and Kitchener Waterloo. Heck why not Saskatoon.
Remove the Canadian ratio rule and stop paying high end dollars to a few "stars" . The league needs to reduce its costs dramatically and survive on average attendance of 18-20,000 or it won't survive.

Well the NFL is becoming if not become Canadians favorite football.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Yeah let's help a league that can't help itself. Why prop up a poorly run business that loses boatloads of money and create a precedent to support every other failing business in Canada?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Yeah let's help a league that can't help itself. Why prop up a poorly run business that loses boatloads of money and create a precedent to support every other failing business in Canada?

Again, I agree with you in principle. But the federal government has never hesitated to prop up failed businesses. Look at Bombardier, how many multi-billion dollar bailouts has this disaster of a corporation received? It's practically a running joke at this point. The automotive manufacturing sector gets tens of billions whenever they cry poor.

All the CFL wanted was a loan. Not a bailout. Big difference. Millions enjoy the CFL as well, nobody that isn't directly employed by Bombardier, etc gives a crap about their existence.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Feeling so strange not being at Tim Hortons Field for the Labour Day Classic.

Missing the CFL a lot right now!

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Feeling so strange not being at Tim Hortons Field for the Labour Day Classic.

Missing the CFL a lot right now!

Labour Day is certainly the most I've felt CFL loss. My Bombers lose every godamn year but I love traveling out to hicksville for Labour Day. Now next week we have no Banjo Bowl, WTF!. I am losing my mind this week. I need my Bombers back.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Labour Day is certainly the most I've felt CFL loss. My Bombers lose every godamn year but I love traveling out to hicksville for Labour Day. Now next week we have no Banjo Bowl, WTF!. I am losing my mind this week. I need my Bombers back.
This time of year has the loss of the CFL hitting harder. I just love the intensity of post Labour Day Football! Also I cannot stand the last Ticats game I watched was losing to Collaros in the GC...

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Agree with those above. Really feeling the loss of the CFL now as this would be when things gets really intense. With seeing all other leagues playing it makes me miss the CFL even more.

Hopefully others feel the same way and realize how much they miss live football when the league comes back next year (hopefully) and come out and support their local teams. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Hopefully that's true and we see a CFL resurgence whne it returns.

Reactions: robertmac43

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Lions owner David Braley passes away at 79.

BC Lions owner David Braley dies at 79 - TSN.ca

League may not be around today is it wasn't for him. Lions will need to be sold now via the estate. Not the best time for a sale. Maybe the Canucks swoop in on the cheap?
Good Lord. Not good.

2020 has been bad for everyone - and the CFL is no exception. What a kick in the teeth.

I truly believe TSN will have to buy the League and run it as a single entity.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Good Lord. Not good.

2020 has been bad for everyone - and the CFL is no exception. What a kick in the teeth.

I truly believe TSN will have to buy the League and run it as a single entity.

When it rains it pours for this league doesn't it :)

Rod Pederson speculated a few months ago that MLSE is going to take over the league but I'm taking that with a massive grain of salt.

According to Fran Lalji, there are still many interested parties that want to own the team. Not worth much now

https://post.futurimedia.com/ckstam/playlist/listen-27726.html

If executors are more motivated to part with the asset than David was, it will find some new people pretty quick....

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
When it rains it pours for this league doesn't it :)

Rod Pederson speculated a few months ago that MLSE is going to take over the league but I'm taking that with a massive grain of salt.

According to Fran Lalji, there are still many interested parties that want to own the team. Not worth much now

https://post.futurimedia.com/ckstam/playlist/listen-27726.html

If executors are more motivated to part with the asset than David was, it will find some new people pretty quick....
I just hope there's a League in 2022.

Reactions: Mightygoose

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They don’t have the tv money to cover the expenses without fans.
They begin the season around June, so barring a vaccine, the 2021 season doesn't look promising. A 9 team pro league, maybe one day it does go to the Atlantic provinces to make it an even 10 team league. Still, hard to really get invested in an 18 game regular season when 2/3 make the playoffs. Seems like too many games to get that caught up on a weekly basis. They are basically the size of an NCAA football conference pre expansion into super conference of 12-14 teams. And those college conferences played 10-11 games a season back then.

Not enough tv money to play without fans.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
TSN will be announcing the 8 Greatest CFL Championship teams of all-time tomorrow.

Hopefully the voters aren't lazy and actually research teams from the late 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s....and not just focus on the last 30 - 40 years.

Some obvious choices imo.

-1 or 2 teams from the Esks dynasty of the mid-50s
-Calgary's undefeated season of 1948
-1 or 2 teams from the early part of Winnipeg's dynasty - 1958 or 1959.
-BC's team from 1964 Grey Cup team
-Esks 1980 and/or 1981 championship teams from the last CFL dynasty
-Montreal's 2009 team

Surprisingly, the Flutie-led Argos of 1997 will not make the cut. That seems strange given they scored twice as many points as they gave up.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
TSN will be announcing the 8 Greatest CFL Championship teams of all-time tomorrow.

Hopefully the voters aren't lazy and actually research teams from the late 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s....and not just focus on the last 30 - 40 years.

Some obvious choices imo.

-1 or 2 teams from the Esks dynasty of the mid-50s
-Calgary's undefeated season of 1948
-1 or 2 teams from the early part of Winnipeg's dynasty - 1958 or 1959.
-BC's team from 1964 Grey Cup team
-Esks 1980 and/or 1981 championship teams from the last CFL dynasty
-Montreal's 2009 team

Surprisingly, the Flutie-led Argos of 1997 will not make the cut. That seems strange given they scored twice as many points as they gave up.
Too many Western teams. How about the 69 Rough Riders led by the greatest Canadian player ever, Russ Jackson.

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
Since there's obviously no current CFL things to talk about, I have a topic that I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on.

Who's the worst QB to ever win a Grey Cup?

Even as a Calgary Stampeders fan, my pick has to be Marcus Crandell in 2001. His career as a whole was very mediocre and the only really good games he had were during that playoff run. Even though he was the MVP of that Grey Cup game, I would've given it to someone on the Calgary defence because that defence was the sole reason Calgary won that game. That Winnipeg offence with Khari Jones, Charles Roberts, Milt Stegall, etc. should've walked all over a Calgary team that went 8-10 in the regular season, yet the Stamps defence managed to keep that Bombers offence enough to get that win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad