CFL: The CFL Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Might be unpopular opinion but i think Adams is hurting the Als badly with his decision making. Running, screens, slants crossers he is abusing the Lions D. Yet he continues to insist on trying 30/40 yard plus deep balls that are failing. If he just takes whats given they would be all over BC with demoralizing long drives IMO.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Might be unpopular opinion but i think Adams is hurting the Als badly with his decision making. Running, screens, slants crossers he is abusing the Lions D. Yet he continues to insist on trying 30/40 yard plus deep balls that are failing. If he just takes whats given they would be all over BC with demoralizing long drives IMO.

I don't disagree with this take at all. The Lions clearly had our deep passing game figured out. I can't help but wonder if this game goes differently if Jones is able to coach it and make the needed adjustments. To not score a single TD at home is demoralizing.

Als need to split the next 2 games @ TOR and @ HAM to get to 3-4, which would be OK considering 5 of the first 7 games are on the road. Then it's a home and home with OTT and they conclude with 4 of 5 at home to end the season.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Vernon Adams is Nealon Greene. Highly effective QB until required to throw a pass longer than 25 yards. But you really only need to throw such a pass maybe once per quarter to keep the defense honest, so it shouldn't be that big of a problem. Montreal has blown multiple games now by going deep too often. There's no way that roster, which has almost literally had no injuries this year, should only be 2-3. The Argos lost half their defense in training camp and Hamilton has been crushed by injuries week after week. Big missed opportunity so far for the Als to grab the lead out east IMO.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Throwing deep that many times against modern defences is counter-productive in any pro league. I think it also hurts the Als that Stanback is not a very good receiver out of the backfield, but he's so good in the running game that they have to keep him on the field.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
The CFL’s ridiculous decision to eliminate the third QB spot reared it’s ugly head last night when Ottawa had to use a receiver at QB.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
The CFL’s ridiculous decision to eliminate the third QB spot reared it’s ugly head last night when Ottawa had to use a receiver at QB.

You can still dress a 3rd QB, they just have to be listed at another position. Plus a lot of NFL teams are doing it too. I remember Troy Brown being the Patriot's wide receiver and 3rd string quarterback.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
This league has been sloppy as shit all season.

I figured the first couple weeks would be rough, but i feel like it's gotten worse.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The Als blew another game tonight if you ask me. Two turnovers at the end of the first and start of the second swung at least 10 points, likely more.

If you had Lions +1.5 please accept my condolences, jesus christ that's rough.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
If the Stamps lose to the Riders and drop to 2-6 I'm about ready to say the 6 playoff teams are set. I know Montreal could easily be 2-5 after this week, but they've got three games still to come against Ottawa. None of the other 5 playoff teams are in real danger of falling out, one of them would need a really bad second half to open the door back up to being caught by a 2 win team. Hoping the Stamps can win to keep things somewhat interesting.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Duke Williams posted on twitter hes coming back to CFL. Wonder who will make a push for him? I think hed boost any WR corps but you gotta think about cap hit, system fit, and the team chemistry of air lifting someone in to take a spot. I gotta think Ottawa, Hamilton, Montreal, and Calgary would push hard as all could use help at WR and could use the PR boost as well, IMO. Edmonton and Toronto maybe. Doubt BC, Sask, or WPG get too involved due to salary and being pretty ok with their receivers.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Winnipeg is finally at full health, and they aren't going to lose many games in that condition. They could have won that game by 35 points last night. They're not going to play another key game until the Western final though, complacency is the challenge they face now.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
It took everything but the Als got the split they needed of those 2 road games with that big W in Hamilton. They have got to start winning a huge chunk of their home games now.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
One thing I've learned over the years watching this league is that if a team needs a win to stay in the race, they'll almost always find a way to get it. Montreal and especially Calgary had to win and they both got it done. They won't do it, but if I'm Calgary, I'm going with Maier at QB until he falters. After the first two drives in Saturday, Bo Levi was crap again. The Riders had no business being in that game in the 4th quarter.

Reactions: hoglund

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
It took everything but the Als got the split they needed of those 2 road games with that big W in Hamilton. They have got to start winning a huge chunk of their home games now.
Montreal had no business winning that game, they were losing the whole game until a 3rd and 20 mistake by Hamilton's defense and fumble in overtime. Neither of these teams seem to be very good.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Busy week off the field. Kenny Lawler arrested for dui. Leagues leading receiver suspended at least this week. Duke Williams to Sask after Fajardo sounds off an his receivers being not good enough. Both are bad situations in the locker room no doubt.

But the newest one is perhaps the most concerning to me. That is Eddie Steele being fired from his job at 630CHED covering the Elks because he was critical of the team and the GM. Being objective is a good thing for radio personalities, imo, and Im hard pressed to see where Steele wasnt right in his comments. Edmonton is a disaster this year. Teams wielding that kind of influence of the people who cover them is not good, IMO.

Reactions: Oryxo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad