CFL: The CFL Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
CFL Season Schedule - CFL.ca

The CFL schedule for 2021 is here (assuming we get an actual season next year).

There's less East vs West games, which is something I've wanted to see for a few years.

Five games on Labour Day week is a little weird with the Argos and TiCats playing twice.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
The reason for the Argos in that Wednesday before Labour Day start has to do with having 3 home games during the CNE which brings better crowds in (ticket gives you free CNE admission).

I like more games within the division. They're more meaningful down the stretch, assuming they're any good!

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I like the changes to the schedule format. If you're going to keep the standings/playoffs division based, divisional play needs to be emphasized.

Sadly I'm not optimistic this season actually gets played.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I like the changes to the schedule format. If you're going to keep the standings/playoffs division based, divisional play needs to be emphasized.

Sadly I'm not optimistic this season actually gets played.
If they get them vaccines happening soon, they might make it.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Start of free agency tomorrow. Lots of activity happened last week including Nick Arbuckle and Matt Nichols finding new homes swapping to Toronto and Ottawa respectively and also sack leader Charleston Hughes coming to the Argos.

Also the Edmonton 'formerly' Eskimos is down to 7 possible new names

EE Football Team begins final phase of name engagement - TSN.ca

Elk: The name I would go for
Evergreens: Doesn't make sense IMO
Evergolds: Interesting, seems like a way to be RedBlacks but less obvious
Eclipse: No
Elkhounds: Why is this on this list? To my knowledge, an Elkhound is the national dog of Norway. Save for a CFL team in Oslo :D
Eagles: Can they even obtain a domain for this?
Elements: No

Last edited:

SealsFan4Life

May 22, 2019
Ontario, CA
I can see this merger be successful but i can also see it fail.
There were American teams in the CFL before but look how that turned out.
But this is a merger of another league, so this could be good.
XFL had some good ratings when it came back so this merger would bring the CFL more exposure to Americans.

As long as the CFL rules and field don't change, I am all for it.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
I can see this merger be successful but i can also see it fail.
There were American teams in the CFL before but look how that turned out.
But this is a merger of another league, so this could be good.
XFL had some good ratings when it came back so this merger would bring the CFL more exposure to Americans.

As long as the CFL rules and field don't change, I am all for it.

I don't think it's a merger, more partnership between the two leagues.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I don't see how it could be a formal merger. 2 leagues play at different times of the year though it's more feasible for the XFL to move to a summer/fall model than the CFL going to winter/spring.

Never mind the rules difference and the ratio.

I'd like to see 2 separate schedules that allow player movement and shared broadcast agreements that can increase the US TV rights.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I know the CFL has had some challenges recently especially with the pandemic, but I hope they steer clear of the XFL, I would hate to see the CFL get dragged down the drain after all these years by a minor US league that is destined to fail in less than 2 years

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't see how it could be a formal merger. 2 leagues play at different times of the year though it's more feasible for the XFL to move to a summer/fall model than the CFL going to winter/spring.

Never mind the rules difference and the ratio.

I'd like to see 2 separate schedules that allow player movement and shared broadcast agreements that can increase the US TV rights.
Too much wear and tear for a player to play in both leagues in the same year.
See what the two leagues decide.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Reading Dwayne’s comments, he still wants the CFL to exist as the CFL. And if he’s got a target, he’s not apt to miss. I don’t know what any of this means, but him working with the CFL is to their benefit.

Someone mentioned staffing, I think that’s a good guess.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
If its a merger then CFL is gonna have to adopt shorter field, because I don't think any stadiums here can accommodate CFL fields.

But I don't think its a merger.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
CFL has been partnering with foreign leagues for the past 4/5 years now. Theyve formed relationships with leagues in Mexico, Poland, Germany, etc. Now those were all semi-pro leagues at best so they dont make headlines.

I am personnally not concerned like many cfl fans. Things like field size (other than note below), downs, returning every kick, etc arent going anywhere. The owner of the XFL is an ex-CFL player, he has respect for the league.

I could see American expansion though, which might be ok but thousands of details to work out there. Namely the ratio. And in that case we could have a smaller field, but only for the american team(s) (depends though CFL/XFL could target MLS stadiums). And XFL would be forced to adapt to CFL schedule, you arent playing games in February in Canada haha.

Since being cut from the Stampeders in the mid 90's everything The Rock has touched has turned to gold so I dont see this as a negative.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I saw someone on Reddit mention something cool I had never heard about. What about copycatting the series that the AFL and GAA play? Blended ruleset and is just a few games.

Maybe they have a brief overlap between seasons where they play blended rulesets games that still count towards the standings. (Sort of like the original intrigue to inter league play in baseball).

I haven't done a matrix of the possible scheduling but maybe Winnipeg plays 18 games still but 2-3 games are played against the XFL teams when the seasons overlap. Each league still gets to play their normal championships

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I saw someone on Reddit mention something cool I had never heard about. What about copycatting the series that the AFL and GAA play? Blended ruleset and is just a few games.

Maybe they have a brief overlap between seasons where they play blended rulesets games that still count towards the standings. (Sort of like the original intrigue to inter league play in baseball).

I haven't done a matrix of the possible scheduling but maybe Winnipeg plays 18 games still but 2-3 games are played against the XFL teams when the seasons overlap. Each league still gets to play their normal championships

Schedules would have to be adjusted quite a bit. XFL was playing February - April regular season with championship in 2nd/3rd week of May. Cfl opens has been opening camp in 3rd/4th week of May with regular season starting 3rd week of June.

And that assumes XFL could even reform as a viable league. As of right now theres little to indicate it even could. Too early to say anything yet.

Reactions: cutchemist42

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Schedules would have to be adjusted quite a bit. XFL was playing February - April regular season with championship in 2nd/3rd week of May. Cfl opens has been opening camp in 3rd/4th week of May with regular season starting 3rd week of June.

And that assumes XFL could even reform as a viable league. As of right now theres little to indicate it even could. Too early to say anything yet.
If Dwayne's involved. I'm confident it'll get off the ground and be viable. He's got money, contacts, and credibility. He picked up the assets for a song, but he'll have a business model that isn't doomed to fail.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Something is obviously going on. Of course Ambroise continues to dance around the topic like the stooge he is despite camp being 2 months away.

What we do know is this;

The CFL is a gate driven league. As far as we know provinces outside of Alberta don't seem to be keen to ease restrictions to allow fans back in given the NHL is still crowdless at every venue in Canada. Given that there's serious questions if we go another year without a season.

The CFL likely cannot afford to lose another season. Especially when every other major sports league found a way back.

The Rock isn't a dumbass and knows the CFL has meaning to a lot of people (and to himself since getting cut by the Stamps was basically the first step on the road to becoming an icon in WWE and then beyond.) One of his primary investors in the XFL is a guy who would have likely never been a name in football without the CFL in Jeff Garcia.

I'm okay with a merger if they want to try and make headway into the US again like they did in the 90s. Except this time they have a guy who knows what he's doing. If the rules have to change the 2019 Grey Cup will have been the last CFL game I ever tuned in for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad