CFL: The CFL Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Cuthbert will be missed, but why is Rod Black so hated?

Inconsistency calling the game, spotty knowledge about the game (rules, what happened on the field, etc.), and he has some difficulties grasping the momentum and flow of the game.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Edmonton, like Washington are looking into their name more thoroughly.

It means that ongoing input and consultation with the Inuit community is continuing.

They've been doing a better job at handling this issue than other teams.

It also tells politicians and SJW to basically F Off.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Cuthbert is a big loss. I think Dustin Nielson has real potential, and he'd be the logical promotion into the regular broadcast rotation. Gord Miller calls a good football game despite being associated with hockey. Ideally Rod Black gets eased into retirement or something and isn't made the primary announcer, but I'm not holding my breath. We suffered through Mark Lee calling a couple Grey Cups circa 2005, might be the same story with Black.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Edmonton to drop 'Eskimos' with an announcement as soon as next week.

I prefer Elk over Empire. Stick with an E and should be a pretty seamless rebrand.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Cuthbert is a big loss. I think Dustin Nielson has real potential, and he'd be the logical promotion into the regular broadcast rotation. Gord Miller calls a good football game despite being associated with hockey. Ideally Rod Black gets eased into retirement or something and isn't made the primary announcer, but I'm not holding my breath. We suffered through Mark Lee calling a couple Grey Cups circa 2005, might be the same story with Black.

Lee had incredibly lucky timing as it turned out for he got to call one of the best Grey cup games of all time (2005 double OT).

After the CTV/CBC simulcast era ended, Lee ended up being the only Primary CBC Grey Cup announcer not named Don Wittman or Chris Cuthbert

sidenote- Wittman never got to call a GC OT game and Cuthbert didn’t get an OT until Ottawa/Calgary 2016.

Last edited:

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Are they keeping the same colours?
I can see the colours and logo staying the same. Maybe a minor tweak.

Apparently, they've trademarked 'Empire'. 'Elk' is another thought since it's a name used in 1922.

They could keep the double E helmet logo too.

Spikey

Feb 12, 2020
I can see the colours and logo staying the same. Maybe a minor tweak.

Apparently, they've trademarked 'Empire'. 'Elk' is another thought since it's a name used in 1922.

They could keep the double E helmet logo too.

Both names would be interesting... Empire sounds like something from Star Wars lol. Your right though with both names they can still keep the double E logo.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Lee had incredibly lucky timing as it turned out for he got to call one of the best Grey cup games of all time (2005 double OT).

After the CTV/CBC simulcast era ended, Lee ended up being the only Primary CBC Grey Cup announcer not named Don Wittman or Chris Cuthbert

sidenote- Wittman never got to call a GC OT game and Cuthbert didn’t get an OT until Ottawa/Calgary 2016.

Yeah it's too bad Lee is on the mic for one of the best Grey Cups ever. It's beyond belief to me that Lee and Rod Black, neither of whom ever seemed to have more knowledge of football than an average guy plucked out of bar, rose to the positions that they did.

Reactions: TB12

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Yeah it's too bad Lee is on the mic for one of the best Grey Cups ever. It's beyond belief to me that Lee and Rod Black, neither of whom ever seemed to have more knowledge of football than an average guy plucked out of bar, rose to the positions that they did.

Sidenote about the 2005 Grey Cup- I LOVED those alternate Alouettes uniforms

48626505996_94c6145b70_o.jpg

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Like it or not, you can’t blame them for changing their name. They were starting to face a lot of pressure from Canadians, and their sponsors (Boston Pizza dropped them already). Similar to the Redskins, when the financial side starts to dip, that’s when they change their name.

I’m not too familiar with the ‘Eskimo’ word, but from what I’ve heard, a good chunk of indigenous people in Canada find the term racist and offensive. I’m all for making everyone feel comfortable.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Like it or not, you can’t blame them for changing their name. They were starting to face a lot of pressure from Canadians, and their sponsors (Boston Pizza dropped them already). Similar to the Redskins, when the financial side starts to dip, that’s when they change their name.

I’m not too familiar with the ‘Eskimo’ word, but from what I’ve heard, a good chunk of indigenous people in Canada find the term racist and offensive. I’m all for making everyone feel comfortable.

Sure you can. Capitulation and appeasement will prove to be a disastrous move IMO. I'm heading down to the ticket office tomorrow morning to demand a full refund on my new season tickets (cancelled after Maas wasn't fired prior to last season, but jumped back in for 2020) and I know I'm not the only one. Maybe the outrage will be fleeting and most will return to the fold eventually. Maybe the outrage will be limited to a few hundred people and not really be felt financially. But I'm not so certain.

It's not like this franchise has been particularly successful on the field over the last 15 years. The pride and tradition kept many coming back year after year though. 70+ years of pretty rich history, all those Grey Cups. It was like what being a fan of the New York Yankees must feel like...yeah, they're not what they used to be...but they still felt like the league's flagship franchise. Everyone hated us. 5 Grey Cups in a row. Parker and Moon, Hugh Campbell. The biggest and grandest stadium. Gone in the blink of an eye, and it will never be the same again. What's in a name? A lot, apparently. I have no desire to support the new team, and that's just sad.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
They were always the Evil Empire to me anyways. Making it officially the Edmonton Empire is no big deal. It worked well since when they were good they were the big scary Empire your fighting against and when they weren't so good you can picture fighting stormtroopers that cant the broad side of the barn. Works on all levels.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
It's now official

Going with the no name but a definition for now. Will take their time to pick a new name.

Make sense with an intern name since there won't be any games played in Commonwealth Stadium this year anyways. Calgary, Regina and Winnipeg have put in bids to be the hub city....should a season take place at all this year.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Some suggestions

Edmonton FC
Inter Edmonton
Edmonton Rovers
Edmonton United
Real Edmonton
Edmonton City FC
I actually laughed real hard here, especially after the back and forth over on the MLS thread. They should definitely go with 'Real Edmonton'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad