CFL: The CFL Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I like Empire. Its perfect. Plus apparently they have an association with the name already in a past ad campaign.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Wait, Eskimo is racist now too?

No. Never has been, contrary to falsehoods perpetuated by special interest groups. The word simply refers to "the people to the North". Those people refer to themselves as Inuit rather than Eskimos, but the idea that "Eskimo" is actually an offensive term is the invention of later 20th century white liberals. A significant majority of the Inuit (78%) were opposed to the name change as they considered it an honour. The Eskimos organization was quite active in the far north in terms of community outreach. That connection is now sadly severed. Not sure who the "winners" are in the rebranding, but there are many losers among both the community of Edmonton and the Inuit community.

Word is, this rebranding will cost the Eskimos a million dollars. That's a million less dollars that can now be spent sending players to schools, hospitals, and other community outreach programs. But at least a few white liberals who don't care about football can sleep easier, right?

Reactions: John Price and ZDH

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
So the federal government that has embezzled untold billions into the hands of their elitist pals is unable to provide an interest free loan that amounts to cup holder change to a Canadian institution enjoyed by millions that dates back over a century. If the league was more popular in Montreal or Toronto you can bet your ass they'd have been given a blank cheque though.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Sad day, hopefully the league is able to bounce back from this whole Covid thing, it's going to be tough.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
The decision for the Feds denying funding itself is fine, jut the timing really sucks

Got denied funding Friday evening and the board makes it the first order of business Monday morning to cancel. And people/players/media says the league was dragging it's feet in all of this?

Time to focus on 2021.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The people slamming it are ignorant Toronto residents. The league doesn't matter? Tell that to people across the prairies and the parts of Ontario that aren't Toronto as the Ti-Cats and Redblacks both draw very well. Hell even Montreal doesn't do too bad considering that team was in constant conflict up until last season.

I love the CFL. Over the past few years it has surpassed the NFL for me in terms of attention/interest. While i recognize the quality of talent in the CFL isn't really comparable to the NFL, i've grown much more fond of it. (mostly attribute it to what feels like a steep decline in quality of play in the NFL) I absolutely do not want the league to die/collapse/fold but at the same time, i think the owners trying to get a government handout is hilarious given how much some of these guys are worth;

Argos: Owned by MLSE - net worth of 1.2 billion dollars

Stamps: Owned by Calgary Sports and Entertainment - net worth of 1+ billion dollars

Redblacks: Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group - can't find an exact number but considering they were in on trying to buy the Senators i'd imagine they have plenty of money

Lions: David Braley - worth a lot

Tiger-Cats: Bob Young - quoted by globe and mail as worth "several hundred million" dollars.

Obviously the Riders, Bombers and Edmonton are all a bit harder to track since they're community owned but still.

While MLSE won't pony up, i'm hoping somewhere down the line somebody buys the league outright. It's in desperate need of an overhaul in terms of marketing/outreach and it might be the only way to save it going forward since there's a less than 0 percent chance we're in the same situation next summer. Also i want somebody else in charge considering Ambroise has done nothing but botch this every step of the way. From asking for a loan and refusing to let the government see their books to constantly insisting everything was fine when it obviously wasn't. Massive failure.

You can poopoo the federal government all you want for not dishing out the money but really the league shoulders a good chunk of the blame when it feels like they were negotiating in bad faith.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
The CFL needs to open its books. Or no Money. The owners can afford a 160 million write-off. The CFL has an Eastern Canada and not a Toronto problem. Ottawa, Montreal has had problems over the years and Halifax always drops the ball with the stadium. Let's not talk about Quebec City.

Whether the league survives depends on the owners.

Last edited:

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
The amount of Canadians gloating about this on Twitter really upsets me....just a great sport getting trashed for simply existing...
Its really sad, I love the CFL, Ive been watching it since the 70's, its uniquely Canadian. I hope it comes back better and strong in 2021.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
On principle, the government shouldn't be shelling out money to a pro sports league. But this is the same government that just created a national debt so astronomically high that there's no chance it can ever be paid off in any living person's lifetime. We're so in debt that it doesn't even matter anymore. This is like maxing out 15 credit cards to buy 90 inch televisions and gold watches, taking out a 5th mortgage on your house to buy a boat, and then telling your kid to f*** off when he asks for 50 cents to buy a coke.

Reactions: The Big Ruszkowski

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
On principle, the government shouldn't be shelling out money to a pro sports league. But this is the same government that just created a national debt so astronomically high that there's no chance it can ever be paid off in any living person's lifetime. We're so in debt that it doesn't even matter anymore. This is like maxing out 15 credit cards to buy 90 inch televisions and gold watches, taking out a 5th mortgage on your house to buy a boat, and then telling your kid to f*** off when he asks for 50 cents to buy a coke.
I mean I am not going to get into it to much because it is obviously way off topic....but comparing the Covid spending to someone maxing out credit cards to buy TV's or spending outside their means to get luxury items is absolutely ridiculous. I mean I feel like the calculations maybe went like this spend billions on Cerb and other subsidies and people can still eat food and maintain a shelter. Trying to compare it to spending tax payer money on keeping a pro sports league afloat is nonsensical.

Reactions: Prairie Oyster

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Makes sense. not all Canadians support the CFL and there isn't a team in every province so it would be a tough sell to use Canadian tax dollars to prop up a half season of a "professional" sporting league.

a better sell would of been for each team to ask their province or city tax payers for funding.

jmo.

hopefully they rebound in 2021.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I mean I am not going to get into it to much because it is obviously way off topic....but comparing the Covid spending to someone maxing out credit cards to buy TV's or spending outside their means to get luxury items is absolutely ridiculous. I mean I feel like the calculations maybe went like this spend billions on Cerb and other subsidies and people can still eat food and maintain a shelter. Trying to compare it to spending tax payer money on keeping a pro sports league afloat is nonsensical.

The government was set to run a deficit in the tens of billions before Covid even hit though. And the very first entities that received bailout money were big banks and large corporations. Far wealthier than the CFL, yet were first in line with their hands out and few people really even talked about it. This government has signed cheques with a rubber stamp for decades, but of all the things they choose to dig in their heels and play hardball with, it's the CFL? Where was this fiscal responsibility countless other times?

I can agree fundamentally that just because you acted recklessly 500 times before it doesn't mean you should for a 501st time....but the CFL is enjoyed by millions of ordinary citizens to varying extents. The vast majority of non-essential government spending benefits far, far fewer people than that.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
If Braley and the owners cared, they could have a season right now. MLSE and Bob Young can afford the loss. 80 million from both of them = 160 million originally asked for.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Always easy to spend other people's money isn't it :laugh:

At the end of the day they're better off cancelling the season and take the time to better the business model. Unless fans are allowed in stadiums, they can't play period. At the same time, if the government had no interest in giving funds, they should have told the league months ago and then players/fans/media don't get strung along all summer just for nothing.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
If Braley and the owners cared, they could have a season right now. MLSE and Bob Young can afford the loss. 80 million from both of them = 160 million originally asked for.

It is disappointing that such wealthy people were unwilling to open their wallets a little bit to make the season happen. But at the end of the day, it was the government who decided to shut their business down in the first place, and it's not unreasonable that said government should be compelled to provide them a means to resume operations under altered conditions. If they're not willing to do that, technically the stadiums should be open for business as usual, selling tickets, and let's play football. Taking that away without making concessions for a temporary alternative business model would be considered government over-reach by many.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Financial relief on the way for CFL players | Toronto Sun

441 players to get CEWS retroactive to July and through December. This will amount to about 10 million. Plus more since negotiations are on going for players on expiring contracts, plus more would be paid to league operations staff which wouldn't be mentioned in the PA's memo.

So the federal government denied the league a 30 million dollar loan....which would have gone to players and operations staff.....so the government instead pays players for not playing and people for not working....money that the government won't get back...

And people applaud this decision.....all in name of politics.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad