CFL: The CFL Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I was willing to give Kilgore a chance. That was it. Next man up, please. Five losses away from a 6-12 team crossing over...

To be honest, I know I posted shade earlier but he looked far better than expected in the 2nd half. Edmonton probably has a win or few in them, IMO. At 6-12 not sure they'd be able to survive an Argonaughts push. Argos are a bad team with little in secondary or LB crew but they have enough to make 6 wins, IMO considering how terrible BC and OTT are.

Once Edmonton gets in the cross over against MTL who knows. I still am not a big believer in MTL. Their big test is tomorrow. They've not faced a legit D like WPG, should be an interesting game.

Reactions: hoglund

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
To be honest, I know I posted shade earlier but he looked far better than expected in the 2nd half. Edmonton probably has a win or few in them, IMO. At 6-12 not sure they'd be able to survive an Argonaughts push. Argos are a bad team with little in secondary or LB crew but they have enough to make 6 wins, IMO considering how terrible BC and OTT are.

Once Edmonton gets in the cross over against MTL who knows. I still am not a big believer in MTL. Their big test is tomorrow. They've not faced a legit D like WPG, should be an interesting game.

I think 6 wins is doubtful for Toronto at this point. They have the talent on offense to win games, but Chamblin's coaching is too poor to make a positive difference in any games. They'd have to win at least one of vs SSK (Riders coming off a bye), @ MTL or @ HAM, and that's assuming they went 3-0 against BC and OTT. Toronto just left way too many wins on the table this year to realistically recover.

Edmonton probably finds a way to beat one of OTT or BC. But it's hilarious that a team might go into the playoffs with one win since August.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Loving Hamilton's chance of getting into the GC at this point! Evans showed flashes of brilliance last night, they just need to get more consistent!

Reactions: sabremike

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I think that's the type of collapse that probably needs to result in a coach firing. Maybe not Mike O'Shea, but Richie Hall needs to walk the plank for that one. For as good as the Bombers look at times, I just don't know how you can allow two teams to pull off 20+ point comebacks twice in two months. They just stopped playing completely in the 4th quarter. Biggest collapse that I can ever remember.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I think that's the type of collapse that probably needs to result in a coach firing. Maybe not Mike O'Shea, but Richie Hall needs to walk the plank for that one. For as good as the Bombers look at times, I just don't know how you can allow two teams to pull off 20+ point comebacks twice in two months. They just stopped playing completely in the 4th quarter. Biggest collapse that I can ever remember.

I agree. I know the Bombers are a good team with a good record and a shot at first, but this is inexcusable. Hall should be gone — but he won't be.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I agree. I know the Bombers are a good team with a good record and a shot at first, but this is inexcusable. Hall should be gone — but he won't be.

You just can't play that passively, even with a big lead. Montreal even blew a possession in the late stages...they could have conceivably scored 4 TDs in the 4th quarter, and it's not like they were even getting short fields. Just a disgraceful showing from the Winnipeg secondary.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
This Ottawa team might be right there with the expansion Renegades and 1-17 Tiger-Cats as the worst teams I can ever remember watching.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

It's almost karma for the Bomber against MTL 2-3 years ago when MTL was up 13 points with less than 2 minutes remaing. But still. I am so f***ing done with this Bomber team. This is a solid team that just collapses at the worst times. By all rights this should be a 12-1 team. Yet they've completely collapsed when it matters in 3 games this season. f*** them. I am beyond pissed about this season. f***ing hell where do you go from here? This is one of, if not the most veteran team in the entire league. How do you let this shit happen? Can they actually win the big one? f*** it I'm completely disconnected with this team, but still going to hope we can finally be the Crandell led horrible Stamps we a stupid lucky GC cup. We need the one just to get the curse off us.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I re-watched it this morning and I still can't quite believe it. There were like 4 or 5 game ending situations that the Als managed to escape out of it. Incredible.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Als have been winning in last minute comebacks for quite a few games this year. They deserve some of the credit, although the Bombers really collapsed.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
This Ottawa team might be right there with the expansion Renegades and 1-17 Tiger-Cats as the worst teams I can ever remember watching.
It's kind of sad because they've won Grey cups recently and represented the East, disproving the West arrogance. All their players went to Edmonton leaving them with essentially an expansion team.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
It's kind of sad because they've won Grey cups recently and represented the East, disproving the West arrogance. All their players went to Edmonton leaving them with essentially an expansion team.

Not sure how Marcel Desjardins keeps his job after this. Core of that roster gets you to three Grey Cups in four years and you let every one them walk and proceed to faceplant. A 1-10 team just outscored them 69-12...that's insane.

Reactions: hoglund

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Wow, Adams gets suspended. Didn't see that one coming.

A scheduled loss suddenly becomes very winnable for BC on Saturday. If the Eskimos somehow manage to lose to Ottawa, the Lions would actually have a faint glimmer of hope if they beat the Als, 2.5 games out with 4 to play.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Wow, Adams gets suspended. Didn't see that one coming.

A scheduled loss suddenly becomes very winnable for BC on Saturday. If the Eskimos somehow manage to lose to Ottawa, the Lions would actually have a faint glimmer of hope if they beat the Als, 2.5 games out with 4 to play.
I thought Adams would get 2 games because that was the set precedent when Simoni Lawrence got 2 games in game 1, maybe it was only 1 game because there was no intent to injure.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I thought Adams would get 2 games because that was the set precedent when Simoni Lawrence got 2 games in game 1, maybe it was only 1 game because there was no intent to injure.

Adams' suspension seems pretty weak to me. I think maybe it's the CFL's way of trying to demonstrate that they're not showing favoritism to the team they own. Suspend him for an unimportant game that doesn't start until half the country is getting ready for bed anyway. I mean really, he maybe sort of swung a helmet while wrestling another player to the ground in the heat of battle. Nobody got hurt. The CFL probably could have let this one go.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Adams' suspension seems pretty weak to me. I think maybe it's the CFL's way of trying to demonstrate that they're not showing favoritism to the team they own. Suspend him for an unimportant game that doesn't start until half the country is getting ready for bed anyway. I mean really, he maybe sort of swung a helmet while wrestling another player to the ground in the heat of battle. Nobody got hurt. The CFL probably could have let this one go.
But they ARE showing favouritism if they only give him 1 game and not 2. I think the commissioner has some explaining to do.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
But they ARE showing favouritism if they only give him 1 game and not 2. I think the commissioner has some explaining to do.

2 games is an unusually long suspension length not typically given to a first time offender though. Lawrence already had a reputation for dirty play, Adams doesn't have any history to speak of. (And in fact, Lawrence took another dirty shot at Logan Kilgore on Friday night that a lot of media people believe is suspension worthy). I'm not big on suspending guys if there's no injury. 1 game is a lot in the CFL, same with losing over 5% of your salary.

Edit to add, I think the fact that the refs blew it by not ejecting Lawrence played a part as well. The second game was kind of a make up for the non-ejection.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
2 games is an unusually long suspension length not typically given to a first time offender though. Lawrence already had a reputation for dirty play, Adams doesn't have any history to speak of. (And in fact, Lawrence took another dirty shot at Logan Kilgore on Friday night that a lot of media people believe is suspension worthy). I'm not big on suspending guys if there's no injury. 1 game is a lot in the CFL, same with losing over 5% of your salary.

Edit to add, I think the fact that the refs blew it by not ejecting Lawrence played a part as well. The second game was kind of a make up for the non-ejection.
Concerning Lawrence, that was his 1st incident, he was not a repeat offender and didn't have a reputation for being a dirty player, although he does now.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Concerning Lawrence, that was his 1st incident, he was not a repeat offender and didn't have a reputation for being a dirty player, although he does now.

I think he kind of had a reputation among fans, but you're right he had no official prior incidents. I think if he gets ejected from that game he only gets a one game suspension though. And in retrospect, he did end Collaros' season, maybe his career.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Als have been winning in last minute comebacks for quite a few games this year. They deserve some of the credit, although the Bombers really collapsed.

The Als never were a comeback team back in the day, but then again, Calvillo was not a normal QB.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
How does Lawrence only get a fine? He has a history of targeting quarterbacks with dangerous hits. He’s bad for the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad