CFL: The CFL Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I'd love to see that happen, is it mathematically possible?

Yup, if BC wins out and Edmonton loses out.

Edmonton might lose out, very doubtful to me that the Lions beat both Calgary and Sask though. Yeah they've won 4 in a row, but wins over Ottawa and Toronto at this point in the season mean nothing at all.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Jim Popp out as Argos GM

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-argonauts-release-gm-jim-popp-from-his-duties-1.1378143

His contract was up after this year so it won't affect the cap. 6-26 since winning the Grey Cup and have been terrible at all three phases of the game for a long time.

Major announcement is at 11 am EST. Leading rumour is Pinball Clemons will be appointed president and will look after the rebuild on and off the field.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Argos name Michael 'Pinball' Clemons general manager - CFL.ca

Did not see this coming. Should be a decent publicity stint to end the season as well.

Agreed.

To me the bigger news is appointing John Murphy as VP of player development. He will be Pinball's right hand man as he has more experience to bring to the table.

Pinball: Face of the front office (and franchise)
Murphy: The nuts and bolts

Will see if the players respond well after this on Friday. Otherwise, Chamblin will be gassed at the season's end though it may happen anyways.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I don't think Toronto can justify bringing back Chamblin. Him and Chapdelaine have both been awful pretty much the entire year IMO. There were enough talented pieces on that roster that a monkey could have coached them to 5 or 6 wins. Coming in at 3-15 or whatever it ends up at is just ridiculous. It seems as though scarcely a game goes by where Chamblin isn't punting the ball away down 2 scores with under three minutes left, kicking red zone field goals down by 20, or gambling at a completely stupid time...and the fact that the secondary is SO bad despite him being a former defensive back. I thought he was a decent hire at the time, but I was out to lunch on that one it seems.

Reactions: robertmac43

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
And after just getting off the IR

And to think Popp was ready to extend him for next year before yesterday's axe fell.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I don’t get the move for Winnipeg it is debatable whether Collaros at this point in his career is an upgrade over Streveler and highly unlikely that he will even remain healthy for the rest of the season and play-offs.

It seems like they should have got a better QB, which might not be possible, or just stay with Strelever.

I doubt it cost much but I can’t see anyway that they win the Cup with Collaros as their QB so why bother adding him if that’s the case?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Yeah I don't think Collaros is likely to come in and jump start anything. I guess maybe it's better than nothing though. If nothing else, he knows the Riders playbook, should the teams meet in the playoffs.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
LOL

The league isn’t even hiding it anymore with these calls to help the Riders.

I want to support the CFL because it is a fun game to watch but with reffing it sure is hard sometimes.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
CGY with a massive win as they now lead the West.

I just spent 10 minutes trying to lay out all the playoff scenarios in the west. The post got too unwieldy and I abandoned it. It's all over the place. It basically boils down completely to the Bombers-Stamps home and home. How that plays out will be huge. I am assuming Bombers crush Als tomorrow as I think that is basically free money. Als are ok, but they got completely dominated at home for 56 minutes at home and I don't think they can repeat that particularly with a January snowstorm here in Wpg. And Als have nothing to play for, they are locked into #2 seed.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I just spent 10 minutes trying to lay out all the playoff scenarios in the west. The post got too unwieldy and I abandoned it. It's all over the place. It basically boils down completely to the Bombers-Stamps home and home. How that plays out will be huge. I am assuming Bombers crush Als tomorrow as I think that is basically free money. Als are ok, but they got completely dominated at home for 56 minutes at home and I don't think they can repeat that particularly with a January snowstorm here in Wpg. And Als have nothing to play for, they are locked into #2 seed.

I expect the Bombers to win but certainly not by a blowout. Run game will play a huge factor with the cold blustery conditions so that SHOULD favor the Bombers. I think it will be low scoring with a little over 600 yards total offense
Bombers 26
Als 17

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I saw quite a few plays questionable non-calls favor the Stamps in that game including a cheap shot.

There wasn't single cheap shot even with the bogus calls the refs made against the Stamps.

The spearing, piling on, ejection and roughing calls were all complete BS that directly contributed to the Riders scoring points. Take out those calls and this game is a blow out for the Stamps.

The CFL is always going to have bad calls because the refs just aren't very good at their jobs but when one franchise always gets a ton of beneficial calls go their way it is hard not to see that their is a league agenda. When that team also has the highest ratings on TV it becomes even more fishy as the league clearly benefits if that team has an inflated record and is pushed into more play-off games/Grey Cups.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
There wasn't single cheap shot even with the bogus calls the refs made against the Stamps.

The spearing, piling on, ejection and roughing calls were all complete BS that directly contributed to the Riders scoring points. Take out those calls and this game is a blow out for the Stamps.

The CFL is always going to have bad calls because the refs just aren't very good at their jobs but when one franchise always gets a ton of beneficial calls go their way it is hard not to see that their is a league agenda. When that team also has the highest ratings on TV it becomes even more fishy as the league clearly benefits if that team has an inflated record and is pushed into more play-off games/Grey Cups.

Saskatchewan has definitely gotten some love from the officials this year (anyone else notice that they've had a receiver about half a yard offside CONSTANTLY all year long and it NEVER gets called?)

But Calgary bitching about calls is amusing. Dave Dickenson has had the officials and the command centre in his back pocket for years. This year...eh, not so much. Can't say I mind seeing a a little bit of even it up after years of them getting the Patriots treatment from the officials.

I still think the Riders end up winning the West. They got a huge break from schedule randomness, to the point that it's almost incomprehensible. Got Winnipeg without Harris twice/Nicholls all three times, getting Edmonton twice with Kilgore. Got Pipkin, got Evans in his first start, got Franklin twice when everyone else had to go against Bethel-Thompson, who is much better. Got Arbuckle in his first start (even though they still lost). They should probably still finish 13-5, so unless Calgary wins both against Winnipeg, Sask will still hang onto first place unless they blow an easy one against BC or Edmonton. Just a perfect storm of schedule luck for the Riders this year, who are good but not great IMO.

Hamilton and Montreal might be the two best teams in the CFL this year (Hamilton clearly #1). It's like the late 90's revisited.

Reactions: blueandgoldguy

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Bombers with a fairly convincing win over the Als today. Andrew Harris returned to form and it appears the secondary has turned things around since the removal of awful Hecht in the safety position where he was a complete liability. I'm not particularly impressed with Strev as he made a few more bad decisions when passing the ball...passed for less than 200 yards and 2 ints vs. one of the worst defenses in the league.

BC - Edmonton game was brutal to watch. With Reilly's broken wrist that means every starter in the CFL will have missed at least some time with injury. I'm not sure if that has happened before. Anyways, we had a battle of 2 terrible journeyman backups and there was little offense to speak of, especially in the second half. Trevor Harris, despite some flaws, can't come back soon enough. Is it possible he is back next week?

BC now eliminated. I know the Bombers can't finish worse than third. Can Edmonton finish higher than fourth or are they destined for the crossover regardless of the outcome of the remaining games?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Bombers with a fairly convincing win over the Als today. Andrew Harris returned to form and it appears the secondary has turned things around since the removal of awful Hecht in the safety position where he was a complete liability. I'm not particularly impressed with Strev as he made a few more bad decisions when passing the ball...passed for less than 200 yards and 2 ints vs. one of the worst defenses in the league.

BC - Edmonton game was brutal to watch. With Reilly's broken wrist that means every starter in the CFL will have missed at least some time with injury. I'm not sure if that has happened before. Anyways, we had a battle of 2 terrible journeyman backups and there was little offense to speak of, especially in the second half. Trevor Harris, despite some flaws, can't come back soon enough. Is it possible he is back next week?

BC now eliminated. I know the Bombers can't finish worse than third. Can Edmonton finish higher than fourth or are they destined for the crossover regardless of the outcome of the remaining games?

If Sask loses in BC and then loses both games against Edmonton to close the year, the Eskimos will finish ahead of them. I believe this holds true in any of the 3-way tie scenarios.

But of course, lo and behold, the Riders will conveniently face Danny O'Brien in BC now. Not that I think they'd have lost to the Lions even if Reilly was healthy, but come on. 18 games played, and the Riders will face 11 back-up QBs. With Dominique Davis counting as a starter in 2 of the other 7. You can't make this stuff up.

Reactions: blueandgoldguy

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Riders have definitely had some good luck this year... it's been a way better result than I ever expected them to have going in to the season where I figured they'd be around 9-9.

Fajardo comes out of nowhere and has played decent for them; way better than Collaros ever would have. Still waiting for the horseshoe to fall out of his ass but at least they look certain to have a home playoff game against the Bombers or Stamps, which I can't wait for, so nothing to complain about.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Is the league also going to publicly acknowledge that they gave the Lions a bogus touchdown two weeks ago?

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
LOL

The league isn’t even hiding it anymore with these calls to help the Riders.

I want to support the CFL because it is a fun game to watch but with reffing it sure is hard sometimes.
Saskatchewan has been fortunate on close calls, but the officials aren't trying to help them win, I think that if any team the league wanted to help win would be Montreal because the league owns them, but even that is not right to think that. I wouldn't worry, Calgary is going to win the West.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->