CFL: The CFL Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Things could have got interesting for Toronto in the second half of the season if they hadn't completely blown three games in the first half of the year. Now that MBT seems to have taken care of the turnovers (at least somewhat), that offense can compete with anybody in the league. That secondary is just atrocious though, for the second year in a row.

What a fraud the Eskimos turned out to be. Jason Maas' winning percentage in the month of July must be like .800. From mid-August onward probably around .300. He's now maintained four years of unsuccessful employment largely on the strength of beating the shit out of the Argos and Als at every opportunity. Will anyone even hire this idiot as a coordinator if the Eskimos ever get around to firing him?

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Things could have got interesting for Toronto in the second half of the season if they hadn't completely blown three games in the first half of the year. Now that MBT seems to have taken care of the turnovers (at least somewhat), that offense can compete with anybody in the league. That secondary is just atrocious though, for the second year in a row.

What a fraud the Eskimos turned out to be. Jason Maas' winning percentage in the month of July must be like .800. From mid-August onward probably around .300. He's now maintained four years of unsuccessful employment largely on the strength of beating the **** out of the Argos and Als at every opportunity. Will anyone even hire this idiot as a coordinator if the Eskimos ever get around to firing him?

I really enjoyed Maas as the REDBLACKS offensive co-ordinator in 2015. His no-huddle and fast paced offense brought a lot of success and entertainment to the Ottawa offense that year, and they kept the plan implemented as a strategy to win the Grey Cup

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

What a fraud the Eskimos turned out to be. Jason Maas' winning percentage in the month of July must be like .800. From mid-August onward probably around .300. He's now maintained four years of unsuccessful employment largely on the strength of beating the **** out of the Argos and Als at every opportunity. Will anyone even hire this idiot as a coordinator if the Eskimos ever get around to firing him?
It is disappointing, they recruited many players from the Red blacks, you could almost call them the Edmonton Redblacks, which should've been successful. The season is only half over, it's not too late to improve.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
It is disappointing, they recruited many players from the Red blacks, you could almost call them the Edmonton Redblacks, which should've been successful. The season is only half over, it's not too late to improve.

She's a bit more than half over now, I'm afraid. At 6-6, the Eskimos would probably need to run the table to host a playoff game, and will need to beat Saskatchewan twice to have any real chance of finishing higher than 4th. In past years, the East provided an easier path to the Grey Cup than the West, so finishing 4th was actually probably better than 2nd or 3rd, but that isn't the case this year with two strong Eastern teams. [Now just watch the crossover team knock off Montreal and Hamilton, after never being able to reach the Grey Cup when it was two 8-10 teams that stood in their way.]

I really enjoyed Maas as the REDBLACKS offensive co-ordinator in 2015. His no-huddle and fast paced offense brought a lot of success and entertainment to the Ottawa offense that year, and they kept the plan implemented as a strategy to win the Grey Cup

You're more than welcome to have him back! Haha, yeah Maas seems to have gotten a lot of mileage out of one big year as Ottawa's OC. Edmonton's offense has been crap for over a season and a half now, despite what is generally viewed around the rest of the league as strong on-field personnel. Maas might land in BC as the OC next year, assuming Brock Sunderland has finally seen enough after what will likely be 5 years in a row of failing to even finish 2nd in a five-team division, after inheriting a Grey Cup winning roster and MVP-level QB who was mostly healthy for four seasons. Ed Hervey seems loyal to anyone he employed in the past, and while I actually think Claybrooks will survive to see another season, I'd have to imagine the rest of his staff gets cleaned out.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
She's a bit more than half over now, I'm afraid. At 6-6, the Eskimos would probably need to run the table to host a playoff game, and will need to beat Saskatchewan twice to have any real chance of finishing higher than 4th. In past years, the East provided an easier path to the Grey Cup than the West, so finishing 4th was actually probably better than 2nd or 3rd, but that isn't the case this year with two strong Eastern teams. [Now just watch the crossover team knock off Montreal and Hamilton, after never being able to reach the Grey Cup when it was two 8-10 teams that stood in their way.]

You're more than welcome to have him back! Haha, yeah Maas seems to have gotten a lot of mileage out of one big year as Ottawa's OC. Edmonton's offense has been crap for over a season and a half now, despite what is generally viewed around the rest of the league as strong on-field personnel. Maas might land in BC as the OC next year, assuming Brock Sunderland has finally seen enough after what will likely be 5 years in a row of failing to even finish 2nd in a five-team division, after inheriting a Grey Cup winning roster and MVP-level QB who was mostly healthy for four seasons. Ed Hervey seems loyal to anyone he employed in the past, and while I actually think Claybrooks will survive to see another season, I'd have to imagine the rest of his staff gets cleaned out.

If Trevor Harris is healthy I could see Edmonton easily beating Sask twice even if they just get 5-8 FG's instead of TD's. Sask offense in reality sucks, Fajardo is not a realistic threat, IMO. However at this point I agree it's unlikely EDM gets in in the west. They likely have to cross over. And as you say no team has EVER crossed over to make the Grey Cup, even in much weaker years. I still don't think the East team are all that intimidating, but it's hard to run the table twice on the road to make it to the dance.

On this subject, it's hard to ignore Maas influence. Edmonton is a team that should beat anyone, they should be able to easily run the east in playoffs, or even make a run to win the west. But neither are possible thanks to Maas. His dumb decisions get the headlines while having a red zone allergic QB Harris doesn't help but in end they always lose thanks to lack of discipline. Maybe Esks fans disagree with me on this subject, but IMO it's not a conspiracy against them. IMO it all runs from Maas. Teams take their ques from their leadership. And leadership starts from the HC. Maas has ZERO restraint, has zero consideration about freaking out. And his teams take their ques from him. So they take stupid after the whistle penalties. His lack of discipline filters down to the team. He also doesn't seem, IMO, to hold those players accountable. The Bombers under O'Shea for example would bench Westerman, a real solid canadian DE, because of penalties. O'Shea is a players coach, but he won't hesitate to bench or cut players for discipline or poor production reasons. Maas lets players freak out like he does and just forgives and sends them back out. In the end, IMO, Maas is going to end up a great coordinator (which should be friendly with players and support them compared to HC which needs discipline) but not an HC.

I gotta say I love seeing the Evil Empire fail. It's nice to see the three also rans from the CFL at the top of standings (Bombers, Riders, Ti-Cats). In the past 40 years these 3 teams have had pretty much the top 3 fanbases (Evil Empire and Stamps are in the conversation as well) while having by FAR the least amount of success on the field. So it's nice to see them succeed. That being said I am not happy with anything less than a Bomber Grey Cup this year.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Overall CFL picture I gotta one of the worst aspects of this league I love is the playoff format. We have known the 6 playoff teams from 2-3 weeks already and there's still 8 weeks left in the season. It's basically assured that Hamilton will win the East, Montreal win host east semi, Edmonton will cross over and Wpg, Ssk, Cgy in some order will compete in the west. While hosting the West Final is huge going forward, that battle is likely the only real competition left and we still 40% of the year left to go. It's unfortunate that's that the only left to determine going forward.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
If Trevor Harris is healthy I could see Edmonton easily beating Sask twice even if they just get 5-8 FG's instead of TD's. Sask offense in reality sucks, Fajardo is not a realistic threat, IMO. However at this point I agree it's unlikely EDM gets in in the west. They likely have to cross over. And as you say no team has EVER crossed over to make the Grey Cup, even in much weaker years. I still don't think the East team are all that intimidating, but it's hard to run the table twice on the road to make it to the dance.

On this subject, it's hard to ignore Maas influence. Edmonton is a team that should beat anyone, they should be able to easily run the east in playoffs, or even make a run to win the west. But neither are possible thanks to Maas. His dumb decisions get the headlines while having a red zone allergic QB Harris doesn't help but in end they always lose thanks to lack of discipline. Maybe Esks fans disagree with me on this subject, but IMO it's not a conspiracy against them. IMO it all runs from Maas. Teams take their ques from their leadership. And leadership starts from the HC. Maas has ZERO restraint, has zero consideration about freaking out. And his teams take their ques from him. So they take stupid after the whistle penalties. His lack of discipline filters down to the team. He also doesn't seem, IMO, to hold those players accountable. The Bombers under O'Shea for example would bench Westerman, a real solid canadian DE, because of penalties. O'Shea is a players coach, but he won't hesitate to bench or cut players for discipline or poor production reasons. Maas lets players freak out like he does and just forgives and sends them back out. In the end, IMO, Maas is going to end up a great coordinator (which should be friendly with players and support them compared to HC which needs discipline) but not an HC.

I gotta say I love seeing the Evil Empire fail. It's nice to see the three also rans from the CFL at the top of standings (Bombers, Riders, Ti-Cats). In the past 40 years these 3 teams have had pretty much the top 3 fanbases (Evil Empire and Stamps are in the conversation as well) while having by FAR the least amount of success on the field. So it's nice to see them succeed. That being said I am not happy with anything less than a Bomber Grey Cup this year.

Personnel-wise, there's no reason Edmonton shouldn't be right there with injury-depleted Winnipeg and Calgary teams, as well as Sask. It all comes down to coaching, as you say.

I think two of the penalties on Saturday were an absolute joke, but yapping at officials (even when they're wrong) is inexcusable. Calgary didn't go nuts when two Reggie Begelton catches were wrongly ruled incomplete, and those catches were for significant yardage. So I'd say the bad calls evened out. But there will be no consequences for the offenders on the Edmonton side, there never are. Morons like Money Hunter will be back again for more next week.

Had to laugh at his decision to accept the kickoff rather than take the ball at the 35 after Calgary field goal in the first half on Saturday. Terrible return game plus a special teams unit that takes constant penalties. Sure enough, they take a hold and scrimmage from the 18 instead of the 35. One-sixth the length of the field just given away by a routine stupid coaching decision.

Then Maas cowardly decides to kick a field goal from the 2 yard line. What's the harm in going for the TD? If you fail, the other team is on their own 2 yard line. So again, 33 yards worth of field position get traded for 3 points, rather than 7. Yet he was apparently in a ballsy mood after half time, trying an onside kick in a 7-point game. But when down 16 points with under 5 minutes left, AND the kickoff moved up to the 50 yard line after a Stamps penalty on the convert? Nope, doesn't try it then. Gets Sean Whyte to hammer it through the endzone, and Calgary scrimmages on the 25. Completely brainless. He honestly might be the worst situational coach I've seen in this league, and there have been some awful coaches come through the CFL over the years.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Ottawa has fallen and they can't get up. The Lions are killing them tonight. It will take an awful Alouettes collapse to prevent them from locking up the 2nd spot in the division.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I've got a good feeling the Als win in Regina tomorrow.

They're 6-1 in games where Adams plays the full 60 minutes. And they lost the first one of those. Hard to wrap your head around it, but Montreal could win the Grey Cup if Adams and Stanback stay healthy.

Ottawa under 9.5 wins cashes. That was free money.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Als-Riders has been a very good battle. Can the Als close it out?

The answer is nope. Riders kick the late FG to win it 27-25.

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Haven't watched either game yet...but how the hell did Hamilton put up 450 yards of offense and fail to score one freaking offensive point in the second half?

Looks like Jason Maas has 7 weeks now to figure out how to beat Montreal in the Eastern semi-final. That matchup is practically set in stone after tonight's results. Just one more reason to get rid of divisions and do a single table standings. 7 weeks of football left, and 6 of the 9 teams are locked into their final placement, barring some miraculous collapse/win streak.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Haven't watched either game yet...but how the hell did Hamilton put up 450 yards of offense and fail to score one freaking offensive point in the second half?

Looks like Jason Maas has 7 weeks now to figure out how to beat Montreal in the Eastern semi-final. That matchup is practically set in stone after tonight's results. Just one more reason to get rid of divisions and do a single table standings. 7 weeks of football left, and 6 of the 9 teams are locked into their final placement, barring some miraculous collapse/win streak.
They fumbled the ball twice when they were going in to score, so there's at least 6 points and potentially 14. Turnovers is why they lost, Calgary didn't beat Hamilton, Hamilton beat themselves.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
They fumbled the ball twice when they were going in to score, so there's at least 6 points and potentially 14. Turnovers is why they lost, Calgary didn't beat Hamilton, Hamilton beat themselves.

Geez, you weren't kidding. I think Hamilton had 5 possessions get across midfield that failed to score even a single point. Vintage Stampeders victory.

Reactions: robertmac43

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
We’re really gonna finally get an all Western Grey Cup

Unless Adams and Evans get injured, I can't see Edmonton knocking off both of them. And if it's not Edmonton crossing over, it would probably a free-falling Riders.

But yeah, that would be typical CFL. The 11-7 Western team keeps blowing it against 9-win pattsies year after year, then an 8-10 Eskimos team beats a 13-5 Hamilton team. Not that I'd complain....

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Geez, you weren't kidding. I think Hamilton had 5 possessions get across midfield that failed to score even a single point. Vintage Stampeders victory.

Is was one of the most infuriating games in recent memory. I still think with Evans the Cats will be in the GC, but they really need to smooth out the rough edges on Offense. If they can minimize turn overs they will be fine, the Special Teams and D are good enough to make up for Masoli's absence.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Is was one of the most infuriating games in recent memory. I still think with Evans the Cats will be in the GC, but they really need to smooth out the rough edges on Offense. If they can minimize turn overs they will be fine, the Special Teams and D are good enough to make up for Masoli's absence.

Turnovers have been the one Achilles heel for that offense, really for the entire year, even when Masoli was healthy. I really like that defense. Consistently strong, not a bunch of peaks a valleys. If they can clean up the turnovers and don't suffer a rash of injuries on defense, I like their chances of winning the Cup as much as anyone else's.

Reactions: robertmac43

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
For a change of pace, Calgary is NOT the overwhelming Grey Cup favorite for the first time in a while.

This has not been a typical CFL season.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
For a change of pace, Calgary is NOT the overwhelming Grey Cup favorite for the first time in a while.

This has not been a typical CFL season.

No doubt. I'd almost have it as a toss up between 5 teams, 2 of which I thought would be dead in the water from the word go but have lived off career backups that have bounced around for years. Wpg, Cgy, Ham were all expected GC contenders. All have had their depth tested, even at QB, and all have managed it well despite the small resumes of the backups. Ssk and Mtl are certainly the stories of the year. Fajardo was a career goalline QB with unheralded stops in TOR and BC and not even expected to be the Riders backup to open the year and now has them in GC contention. Adams was a top prospect that was traded for a 1st round pick before even signing a contract, but bounced from his rights in BC to MTL to SSK to HAM to back to MTL where they were originally thinking of transitioning him to WR. Now with a home playoff date and looking like only one legitimate win from a GC (seriously looks like EDM is dead in the water).

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Ok I knew Edmonton was weak at QB depth but this is ridiculous. This guy is now a career 94 for 163 with 2 TD's vs 14 INTS for 1064 yards. That is worse than Dom Davis numbers. Can't believe that Edmonton thought that guy could be a backup even.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Does it seem like there are no more great CFL Personalities or Players you knew by one or two words?

Names like Gizmo, Pinball, The Don, the Rocket, the Rifle, Lui. The legends like Moon, Flutie, Calvillo, Pringle, Lancaster, Ham.

Where’s are the future legends? Who’s the next Pringle or Calvillo or Flutie?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Does it seem like there are no more great CFL Personalities or Players you knew by one or two words?

Names like Gizmo, Pinball, The Don, the Rocket, the Rifle, Lui. The legends like Moon, Flutie, Calvillo, Pringle, Lancaster, Ham.

Where’s are the future legends? Who’s the next Pringle or Calvillo or Flutie?

Nostalgia is a hard thing to define. Your obviously older than me for example as most of those name mean little to nothing to me.

There's still great personalities. There's still great legends, IMO. It's just tough to look at players now with the same nostalgia you have for the older players. Guys like Bo Levi and Andrew Harris are going to be legends of the game, IMO.

The best personality is still Milt, IMO. That guy was not only an all-great on the field, but an all-time great off the field. The biggest tragedy of the past 20 years is that the Bombers were never able to win the big game for him.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I was willing to give Kilgore a chance. That was it. Next man up, please. Five losses away from a 6-12 team crossing over...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad