CFL: The CFL Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I believe the rule says if game is halfway through the 3rd quarter, they can call it in this scenario.

The thing that is completely ridiculous is there was seemingly no thunderstorm anywhere near the stadium in the minutes before they called it.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
I would guess this new rule is a direct result of the 1st bomber game from last season that saw 2 different weather delays that totaled 3 hours of delay. It didn't end until almost 1 am.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Cancelling a game in the third quarter with a 7 point deficit is a total embarrassment for the league. If that 10km thing is true, good grief. A storm is not even remotely dangerous at that distance. Really bad look.

Rick Campbell and Jason Maas...man oh man. One of the worst coached games I've witnessed in a while. Ugly win for Edmonton. The offensive line has been great all year, but what a complete fail on all those 3rd and shorts. Play calling was abysmal. A bad Ottawa secondary ripe for the picking, and it's nothing but quick screens and 3 yard outs all night. A rare good outing from CJ Gable was the only saving grace.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I would guess this new rule is a direct result of the 1st bomber game from last season that saw 2 different weather delays that totaled 3 hours of delay. It didn't end until almost 1 am.
also the Labour day game 2 years ago with Hamilton and Toronto, 2 hours delay, the game didn't end until 11:00 where kids had to go to their first day of school. I think that's also why they start the East games before the West, which is what it should have been anyways.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Calling that game after an hour delay reeks of TSN influence. I know there was an off-season agreement between the players and the league, but given the fact these storm fronts were 10 km off, I think they could have at least waited a little bit longer.

With all that said, I don't think the Als come back. Their Qbing was pretty bad with both the second stringer and third stringer in there. Adams isn't a very good Qb imo but he can make some positive things happen.

A positive for the Als, is that their defense appears to be decent. They are certainly not the tire fire I and many others thought they would be this season. Khari Jones as a coach for the team seems to have helped them.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It's bush league is what it is. TSN shouldn't have that amount influence when they have five ****ing channels. they can easily bump the conclusion of the Als/Riders game to any of them while keeping it on in those respective markets if that's the case.

I've heard apologists tried to defend it by saying Baseball does the same thing, as does the NFL. Wrong. The NFL plays multiple games (sometimes some in the same week) in South Florida and routinely run into weather issues. They just delay the game as long as needed and play it out. To my knowledge they've never called a game post-merger.

Baseball's not even comparable because the game is played on a half dirt field, which turns into a mire if rain falls on it. The only time the NFL "postpones" and/or moves games if they get multiple days notice a threatening storm system (so like hurricanes, massive blizzards, etc) could impact the safety of the game, not calling it when it's still very much undecided given Montreal was only down by 7.

Garbage ruling.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's bush league is what it is. TSN shouldn't have that amount influence when they have five ****ing channels. they can easily bump the conclusion of the Als/Riders game to any of them while keeping it on in those respective markets if that's the case.

I've heard apologists tried to defend it by saying Baseball does the same thing, as does the NFL. Wrong. The NFL plays multiple games (sometimes some in the same week) in South Florida and routinely run into weather issues. They just delay the game as long as needed and play it out. To my knowledge they've never called a game post-merger.

Baseball's not even comparable because the game is played on a half dirt field, which turns into a mire if rain falls on it. The only time the NFL "postpones" and/or moves games if they get multiple days notice a threatening storm system (so like hurricanes, massive blizzards, etc) could impact the safety of the game, not calling it when it's still very much undecided given Montreal was only down by 7.

Garbage ruling.
I don't think TSN had that much influence on the decision. Stegall and Burris were openly criticizing the decision on TSN last night.

It's just the league being tone deaf again. Ambrosie has been better than Orridge, but things like this just show there is still a long way to go.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don't think TSN had that much influence on the decision. Stegall and Burris were openly criticizing the decision on TSN last night.

It's just the league being tone deaf again. Ambrosie has been better than Orridge, but things like this just show there is still a long way to go.
Imagine being a fan paying to goto this and getting just over half a game.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
The year of the return and the QB injury continues. No TDs but some big returns tonight along with Nichols getting injured. Looks like Streveler might be the guy in Winnipeg for awhile.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The year of the return and the QB injury continues. No TDs but some big returns tonight along with Nichols getting injured. Looks like Streveler might be the guy in Winnipeg for awhile.
Surprised Reilly hasn’t had to leave a game yet.

He’s been getting pummeled all year

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Honestly, even the top two teams (Hamilton and Winnipeg) don't look that great when watching the games. This year is wide open, IMO.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Ted Laurent still not back in this tight affair. Would be another big miss for the Cats if he has to be out for some time

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
One of those games where if the Cats have Masoli they blow Ottawa out of the water. But alas we have Evans, who, to give him credit had some good balls but overall the execution was terrible especially in the red zone.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Could be one of those years where nobody gets past 12 wins. The four good teams in the West could all end up within a couple games of one another.

I think there's one team that's the best this year and they're being overlooked because their record has them behind Winnipeg and Hamilton; Edmonton

Their underlying numbers are quietly terrifying. Their sacks allowed to sacks given ratio is well over +20, Harris has been almost perfect with like 2 INTs through 9 games. The Eskimos defense has also surrendered the fewest points in the CFL as of this point.

That team is getting overlooked because of the ****show of a game they lost to the Bombers early in the year. If not for that, they'd be 7-2. and kings of the league

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I think there's one team that's the best this year and they're being overlooked because their record has them behind Winnipeg and Hamilton; Edmonton

Their underlying numbers are quietly terrifying. Their sacks allowed to sacks given ratio is well over +20, Harris has been almost perfect with like 2 INTs through 9 games. The Eskimos defense has also surrendered the fewest points in the CFL as of this point.

That team is getting overlooked because of the ****show of a game they lost to the Bombers early in the year. If not for that, they'd be 7-2. and kings of the league

Harris is terrible in the red zone. That's the big limiting factor for Edmonton. It's been his MO his whole career. It's why Lewis Ward hit 50+ FGs last year and none (or like 1) outside 50. He did great against Toronto but that's not a real team. They got a fluke win against Winnipeg but meh. Well see. All of the top 5 have their strengths and weaknesses it's very close. I still think Sask likely fades out of that top 5 group at some point and Hamilton without Masoli is just not very scary. It's going to come down to Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, IMO. All 3 are quite close. Thd question will be if those 3 beat each other up to much we might have another fluke East win in Grey Cup.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

Yeah, Edmonton's underlying numbers are the best in the league overall if you combine offense and defense. It's awful special teams and some bad situational execution that has kept them to 6-3 IMO. In the Year of the Return, they're the one team that hasn't got sweet tweet in that department, and Sean Whyte has missed several shorter field goals. I'd say they've had 5 pretty convincing wins, but gone 1-3 in the ones that could go either way.

The defense needs to bounce back next Friday though. You're not going to go a whole season without an off night, but Ottawa and Toronto both moved the ball against them much more than anyone else has to this point. We'll see if this was just a blip, or if teams are starting to find some exploits after getting a few weeks worth a film.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Big Play VA does it again.

Hilarious collapse from Calgary, who has been on the right side of those games year in and year out. I must say, some pretty weak calls went against them as well. Looks like the CFL has finally stopped giving them the Patriots treatment.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah, Edmonton's underlying numbers are the best in the league overall if you combine offense and defense. It's awful special teams and some bad situational execution that has kept them to 6-3 IMO. In the Year of the Return, they're the one team that hasn't got sweet tweet in that department, and Sean Whyte has missed several shorter field goals. I'd say they've had 5 pretty convincing wins, but gone 1-3 in the ones that could go either way.

The defense needs to bounce back next Friday though. You're not going to go a whole season without an off night, but Ottawa and Toronto both moved the ball against them much more than anyone else has to this point. We'll see if this was just a blip, or if teams are starting to find some exploits after getting a few weeks worth a film.

Lolley needs to find a way to stop the screens and flat passes, because those are the ones that are killing this team lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad