CFL: The CFL thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Jeeze! Yeah that seems weird, but again as a Ticats fan I'll take it for sure
I mean worse case scenario you have him coming in off the bench with the play and he only plays half the first game or something.

Now go to your Redskins thread I asked a question there:laugh:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Manziel was doing the samething. He almost had his guy picked before the snap and would just stick to that guy regardless of what else is open or who was covering that man
Sounds like he won't play until week 15 against the Roughriders. No idea why he doesn't get in one of the games against the Cats.

So he needs 3 weeks of practice to learn the offense? Good heavens. Mind you, are CFL teams even allowed to practice more than twice a week anymore? Seems every year we hear about some new CBA rule to further reduce practice requirements.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The Als are starting to make the East a lot more interesting.... LDC becoming more and more important for the Tabbies

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Shaping up to be a really fun Monday: both the Cats and Argos are coning off of a long period of rest playing early last week and late this weekend, plus they have so much to play for. Should be a fast paced, intense game.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Said it even when the Als lost to the Esks, they are a different team with Pipkin. How the hell did this guy get cut in camp in favour of junk like Drew Willy and Vernon Adams?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Said it even when the Als lost to the Esks, they are a different team with Pipkin. How the hell did this guy get cut in camp in favour of junk like Drew Willy and Vernon Adams?

Once he polishes up his decision making and just becomes a better passer of the ball he is going to be an elite threat. Just a matter of staying healthy and learning from experience at this point

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Als are on a 2 game winning streak, given the weakness in the East, a good run for them here in the season's 2nd half could get Montreal into a playoff spot.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Alright, I'll be the first to say it: Pipkin is better than Manziel. Montreal looks like a legitimate professional football team with him at the helm. Good on Kavis Reed for finding him...but in retrospect it is bloody insane that he gave up all those picks for Manziel before giving this guy a shot.

Haha. They cut Pipkin and only re-signed him after the Vernon Adams injury. He is their what 6th string? Shows how close the line between out of football and starter really is. He was ranked very far behind Drew Willy, Johnny Manziel, Jeff Mathews, Vernon Adams at least for Montreal yet he has shown to be the only competetent QB the Als have.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Last two games:

Chris Streveler: 2/2, 2TDs

Matt Nichols: 424 yards on 70 attempts, 4 INT

Mike O'Shea has a tough decision to make? I'd say it's an easy decision.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm done with Nichols. Another game under 200 yards passing. It's all on him today.

The defense did what it needed to, Harris was once again rolling on the ground, yadda yadda yadda.

The best part of it is in the post game, he blamed his defense for not making plays and O'Shea actually said he thought his performance was "very good"

It's time to bring in Strevler. I don't give a **** if Nichols is hurt or whatever, change is needed. Today's game, like the other 4 of their 6 losses was totally winnable.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I'm done with Nichols. Another game under 200 yards passing. It's all on him today.

The defense did what it needed to, Harris was once again rolling on the ground, yadda yadda yadda.

The best part of it is in the post game, he blamed his defense for not making plays and O'Shea actually said he thought his performance was "very good"

It's time to bring in Strevler. I don't give a **** if Nichols is hurt or whatever, change is needed. Today's game, like the other 4 of their 6 losses was totally winnable.

Wait...Nichols blamed that game on the defense?! His god-awful pick on the first series of the game was the difference.

Winnipeg defense gave up 17 points and Harris rushed for 150. That should be a win 100 times out of 100. Nichols blew it, plain and simple.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Defense wasn't sterling but i am in agreement they did enough to win the game.

The only reason why i don't give the defense more credit is the fact they played a crappy Saskatchewan offense, but still they did what they needed to.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Obviously you'd like to see them hold Sask to a FG late, but even if they had, a TD would still have been needed from the offense. There was lots of time left too, throwing that game ending pick was awful, I really have no clue what Nichols was thinking there.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Nichols is bad but i think the other chunk of blame should go towards LaPolice as well.

Every game it's the same thing. Come out hot in the first half (as evidenced by Harris beating the snot out of them early in the game), go to half, either don't adjust at all or adjust the completely wrong thing (like taking the ball out of Harris' hands in the second half and refusing to call anything other than 4-5 yard checkdowns) and it results in abject failure.

the WR's can't get open, sure, but is it maybe because the playcalling isn't allowing them to? The Bombers have more than a capable o-line to allow plays to develop further down field, but no, let's keep the checkdowns rolling!

We're not done yet, but it's starting to look like with O'Shea it's gonna be a "no one goes or everyone does" type situation given how frustratingly loyal he is.

Absolutely infuriating. This is the most talented team the Bombers have had on paper probably since the Kahari Jones days and they still can't get their heads out of their asses long enough to be a contender. If they lose the Banjo Bowl, season may as well be a wrap.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Obviously you'd like to see them hold Sask to a FG late, but even if they had, a TD would still have been needed from the offense. There was lots of time left too, throwing that game ending pick was awful, I really have no clue what Nichols was thinking there.

The defence didn't look to be set as they were scrambling around into position. he was looking for a quick hit on the sidelines to take advantage of that Cant really blame him for trying I guess. But if you watch the reply, I think it was Gainey that got the INT, he was watching Nichols the whole time and just slowly sprinted towards the wide open player and turned the jets on as soon as the ball released. So I do kind of wonder if the Defence was scrambling or was this calculated?

As for the Bombers. They came in highly rated on paper but seem to be only a paper tiger.

Historically though they should take the Banjo Bowl.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The defence didn't look to be set as they were scrambling around into position. he was looking for a quick hit on the sidelines to take advantage of that Cant really blame him for trying I guess. But if you watch the reply, I think it was Gainey that got the INT, he was watching Nichols the whole time and just slowly sprinted towards the wide open player and turned the jets on as soon as the ball released. So I do kind of wonder if the Defence was scrambling or was this calculated?

As for the Bombers. They came in highly rated on paper but seem to be only a paper tiger.

Historically though they should take the Banjo Bowl.

Scrambling defense or not, lobbing a ball across the flat to the wide side of the field is like literally the first thing they tell a QB never to do the second he sets foot in Canada. That was the rookiest of mistakes from a guy who's been up here a bloody decade.

So things we learned this Labour Day weekend:

-Montreal under Pipkin is just "regular" bad, as opposed to "all-time" bad under Willy/Matthews/Schiltz/Adams/Johnny Boy. They're not dead yet.

-Toronto's defense is absolutely awful, and they have coaching issues.

-Ottawa is the most inconsistent team in the league, and they have coaching issues.

-Winnipeg is wasting a lot of talent with Nichols under centre, and they have coaching issues.

-You can serve Edmonton a game on a silver platter and they will still find a way to lose it, and they have coaching issues.

-Calgary can bring their "C" game and still win against anyone besides Sask.

-Hamilton is back to looking like the front-runner in the East.

-Saskatchewan needs their defense to score to win a football game, but their defense actually manages to consistently do so.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Jason Maas: Why is my team so undisciplined?

*Proceeds to throw gatorade jug and look like he's about to kill someone in cold blood*

Hmmmmm

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
My takes on the LDC in Hamilton are so:

This game summed up the Ticats season really; great peaks but extremely inconsistent. Masoli's interception was terrible, so were the 3 penalties that took the Argos down the whole field, and the Green fumble was just comical all around.

On the good side of things the running game was amazing, Tasker and Banks showed up to play, and the D was active, everyone was getting involved. Daley had an amazing game propr to the interception that was just the icing on top of his best effort for the black and gold.

On an unfortunate note I'm hoping Saunders is okay as he just got back into the lineup, same goes for Breaux SR. Never like seeing people go down with injury, especially as the games get more and more important.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
My takes on the LDC in Hamilton are so:

This game summed up the Ticats season really; great peaks but extremely inconsistent. Masoli's interception was terrible, so were the 3 penalties that took the Argos down the whole field, and the Green fumble was just comical all around.

On the good side of things the running game was amazing, Tasker and Banks showed up to play, and the D was active, everyone was getting involved. Daley had an amazing game propr to the interception that was just the icing on top of his best effort for the black and gold.

On an unfortunate note I'm hoping Saunders is okay as he just got back into the lineup, same goes for Breaux SR. Never like seeing people go down with injury, especially as the games get more and more important.

Weird thing about the Breaux injury is that while he was in the game, Toronto was doing a good job of mixing up the playbook. Runs, short passes, intermediate routes, and they were doing it really effectively. As soon as he went down, it seems the Argos figured it was an open invitation to start throwing low percentage bombs on every play. I don't believe they scored another point after this brilliant strategy was implemented.

Reactions: robertmac43
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad