CFL: The CFL thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
BC has the toughest offence to cover in the league. Mobile QB, 2-3 solid RBs, and 4 star WRs. I can't wait to see them match up against Edmonton again this year.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
BC has the toughest offence to cover in the league. Mobile QB, 2-3 solid RBs, and 4 star WRs. I can't wait to see them match up against Edmonton again this year.

Edmonton has the exact same type of offense (when healthy at least), but arguably the better QB and a better O-line.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I must say, this is one of the more impressive starts in CFL history given the conditions. Eskimos are almost literally playing their B squad, but with Reilly leading the charge it just doesn't seem to matter.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Watched the Montreal-Toronto game tonight and I couldn't help but think how much weaker the east is compared to the west. I know all of east steps up and at times can somewhat compete with the west, but watching the poor play in that game I cannot help but think the level of talent between west and east is crazy. Finishing 4th in the West is a big reward, IMO.

I have never been much on this train but I think the CFL should abandon the divisions. You can still have same schedules, but make it 1-2 get bye, 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5. Yes schedules aren't even but even still would make it more fair. You're still getting same divisional rivalries playing more, but more even playoff format.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Trestman is completely overrated.

Everywhere he goes when he doesn't have a HOF caliber QB, his offense sucks.

Can't believe the Bears gave him the reins.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Agree with both these above comments. As some have likely observed, I have been on the scrap the divisions train for a while. The crossover is not enough anymore. This is the second year in a row where it's honestly in a team's best interest to shoot for 4th in the West instead of 2nd or 3rd, and there's really no reason to think this won't be the case often going forward. It starts to cheapen the regular season at this point. Last night's game was rather ugly. And there's a decent chance both those teams are gonna be hosting playoff games. Ugh.

Was thinking the exact same thing about Trestman, Cloned. Looks like an average coach that inherited one of the top 5 QBs of all time and an iron curtain offensive line and parlayed it into an NFL job. Not to say Toronto's personnel is great at the moment, but why so many long low percentage throws with backup QBs? Especially on first down. That game was winnable with better play selection.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Hamilton is pretty bad this year, but to be fair in an average year they're probably a .500 team or slightly below.

Just that the rest of the league has really upped their collective talent level this year and left them behind in the dust.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Though to write anyone off by mid August, but it really seems like Saskatchewan's season is on the line tonight. They need a win to stay in touch with the pack out West.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Though to write anyone off by mid August, but it really seems like Saskatchewan's season is on the line tonight. They need a win to stay in touch with the pack out West.

Agreed.

I don't see them making up 3 games on the Bombers otherwise, although they do play them twice through LD, so stranger things have happened...

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Riders with a huge win tonight.

The Lions look to be the team that nobody can predict what they'll do on a week to week basis this year.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Should have started Lulay. He's the better option right now.

Starting JJ to get him "experience" is like the Esks starting Franklin over Reilly.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Really didnt expect that from BC last night. I cant even read if that BC blowing it or Saskatchewan waking up.

Really excited to see what Wpg can do against Edm this week.

Also, the games have much better flow with the challenge reduction.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I can understand why the Lions went back to Jennings, but after the run Lulay was having, why did they start him? And by the time they put Lulay back in it was far too late. Should have let Lulay start, see what happened, and then go from there.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Huge one tonight. I'm guessing Calgary and BC are cheering for the Bomber a bit to rein in Edmonton and making catching them viable.

BC might be happy to just keep their distance from Sask and take the crossover. Still pretty early for scoreboard watching I guess.

Well that was a good run while it lasted. Too many mistakes tonight to overcome what was essentially the practice roster playing defense for the Esks tonight though. Dropped balls that send out the punt team instead of moving the sticks are absolute killers, and there were three of those tonight. Combine that with a missed extra point and moronic penalty that gave Winnipeg a FG instead of a punt, and that's the end of perfection.

I dearly hope Almondo Sewell is good to go next Friday. The difference in the pressure generated by the defensive line in the first 7 games versus tonight was glaring.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Fans in Hamilton do not sound very happy. Hard to blame them though.

Hamilton loses this one they done even in the terrible East. Ottawa loses it and despite the close games I feel they deserve the terrible record.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
No surprise but Austin bumped upstairs in Hamilton. As many foresaw June Jones who was brought in as a generic "assistant" a few weeks ago is bumped up to head coach. It literally can't get any worse anyways.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Does Jones have any CFL experience? I know him only for his time in the NCAA. I don't think Hamilton has the horses to compete this year. Probably a full house cleaning in the off season barring a dramatic turnaround.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Does Jones have any CFL experience? I know him only for his time in the NCAA. I don't think Hamilton has the horses to compete this year. Probably a full house cleaning in the off season barring a dramatic turnaround.

He was an OC for Ottawa...Roughriders in 1986. So we'll see.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Another thrilling finish to a Bombers-Als game. I'm not really sure why Winnipeg attempted an open field punt on the last play in regulation. If you get up to midfield, sure, but standing inside your 10 yard line? That almost backfired big time. One big bounce and Montreal wins that game on an improbable single.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->