The Captain is BACK!

WarLax

Apr 17, 2016
He has a history of immune system problems, going back to childhood. Ones that are so severe that he had to completely change his diet. He said COVID "may have played a role" when asked about it. Drawing the conclusion that Toews is dealing with long haul COVID and not ongoing problems with his immune system is certainly.....a stretch. :laugh:

He also supposedly had COVID in...February of 2020(never tested and certainly could have been flu). Didn't seem to affect him much in the bubble?? He also never missed a game during that timeframe. But yeah, I'm sure he's a COVID long hauler.

Here's a quote from the athletic article that addresses that:

"It took months for him to reach that point. The symptoms really took over Toews’ life around June last year, and he struggled through the summer training camp that preceded the bubble postseason in Edmonton. Colliton gave him a few maintenance days, but Toews felt miserable most of the time.

Somehow, he managed to have a spectacular, vintage series against the Oilers, scoring two goals in both Game 1 and Game 3, and adding three assists in the four-game series victory. In the next round against Vegas, Toews’ play dropped considerably, with just a goal and an assist in a five-game loss. It’s easy to assume he felt good against Edmonton and bad against Vegas, but he said he felt equally awful in both series. He said Vegas’ speed and strength just magnified it, is all."

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Nice that he's back.

Country club comment, there was rumour that vets didn't like JC system year before and liked it this year.

F86puck

Feb 20, 2020
Toews will always be a legend in Blackhawks history. Leading a team to a cup, let alone 3, does that. But I am disappointed at how this has all been handled. Privacy is to be respected, and there is no law that he had to say anything. But, as a public figure, fans want to at least know a bare minimum. Fans adore Jon, and were worried he has cancer, ALS, or some other truly life-threatening condition. I think a little more open-ness would have gone a long way. No, please stop - I am NOT saying he had to open his medical chart. But like it or not, you are a public figure, and a big one. Much earlier, he COULD have at least said, "so far, we have not found anything cancerous or life-threatening," etc.

Additionally, "Chronic Immune Response Syndrome" is not a well-accepted medical condition. My doc never even heard of it. It is a challenge to even define. Yes, I see something called "Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome" is well documented, but unless he was in biological warfare, that is not what he has. "Chronic Immune Response Syndrome," whatever it is, is a different, vague, and seemingly made-up diagnosis with no definable test for it, like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (which honestly, I have to wonder is what he has, but just didn't like the wording).

Last edited:

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
My goodness was this a great distraction for the club.

Unfortunately I was really interested in this, consider me thoroughly distracted. Fun learning Colliton wasn't incompetent in the Vegas Series because of how he handled Toews at the end. So much for all that nonsense.

Blends well with Keith trade rumors.

Is Shaw teaching chipmunks to save lives?
Will Seabrook's non profit end childhood sadness?
Did Colliton get to a 5 handicap?

I'm expecting answers to these questions over the next couple of weeks.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I don't think it's fair to get on people that may have had Covid at a time when they weren't testing 30 year olds.

I never tested positive either but I lost my taste and smell for 3 months and 10 months respectively, along with being damn sick for about a week. I had never experienced that before. I'm convinced I had Covid in March 2020 but I don't know for sure. I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss it.

The only thing that tipped me that it may have been covid was the asomnia.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I don't think it's fair to get on people that may have had Covid at a time when they weren't testing 30 year olds.

I never tested positive either but I lost my taste and smell for 3 months and 10 months respectively, along with being damn sick for about a week. I had never experienced that before. I'm convinced I had Covid in March 2020 but I don't know for sure. I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss it.

The only thing that tipped me that it may have been covid was the asomnia.

Because almost nobody that thought they had COVID in February of 2020, actually had COVID. Again, our hospital system(and many others) did antibody testing of people that were suspected of having COVID in early 2020. Like 1% of those were positive, and that held for most hospitals in the United States. And that's not even taking into consideration the high percentage of false positives that the antibody tests returned.

It's strictly a numbers game, and the odds are heavily against it. Yes, it's POSSIBLE he had COVID in February 2020, and is a long hauler. But it's extremely unlikely. When you consider his health history, there are many more likely explanations. He didn't even mention COVID until he was asked about it specifically. It was all about the stress on his body and his immune system. It's other people speculating about him being a COVID long hauler.

If he started feeling like this in summer last year, I'd imagine the very first thing they looked at was COVID....

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Because almost nobody that thought they had COVID in February of 2020, actually had COVID. Again, our hospital system(and many others) did antibody testing of people that were suspected of having COVID in early 2020. Like 1% of those were positive, and that held for most hospitals in the United States. And that's not even taking into consideration the high percentage of false positives that the antibody tests returned.

It's strictly a numbers game, and the odds are heavily against it. Yes, it's POSSIBLE he had COVID in February 2020, and is a long hauler. But it's extremely unlikely. When you consider his health history, there are many more likely explanations. He didn't even mention COVID until he was asked about it specifically. It was all about the stress on his body and his immune system. It's other people speculating about him being a COVID long hauler.

If he started feeling like this in summer last year, I'd imagine the very first thing they looked at was COVID....
I didn't test positive for antibodies either. They didn't have antibody tests until July 2020 and there were questions whether or not they stuck around at a detectable level for that long.

Also, the early antibody tests were notoriously unreliable.

All of my asomnia symptoms were consistent with Covid-19 infection.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I didn't test positive for antibodies either. They didn't have antibody tests until July 2020 and there were questions whether or not they stuck around for that long.

I thought the antibody tests then were a crock?

Did they ever develop a reputable, reliable, accurate one?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I think they did, but not until the fall.

Gotcha, I’d have to look into it again. It was probably over a year last time I did but for some reason I was pretty sure at the time they were just a bunch of BS so I never bothered. I’d be really curious to know if I have ever had it. We were extremely cautious and still are, but who knows maybe had it but no symptoms.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I didn't test positive for antibodies either. They didn't have antibody tests until July 2020 and there were questions whether or not they stuck around at a detectable level for that long.

I thought the antibody tests then were a crock?

Did they ever develop a reputable, reliable, accurate one?

I think they did, but not until the fall.

Gotcha, I’d have to look into it again. It was probably over a year last time I did but for some reason I was pretty sure at the time they were just a bunch of BS so I never bothered. I’d be really curious to know if I have ever had it. We were extremely cautious and still are, but who knows maybe had it but no symptoms.

Our hospital system performed these tests with the Abbott tests, that I believe were 95% accurate? We didn't bother with the early, inaccurate tests. And antibody tests were discovering antibodies 8-9 months after infection.

The point still stands. It is extremely unlikely he had COVID in February 2020.

Also, does nobody remember the stupid comments he made about COVID during the summer of 2020??? I find it hard to believe a guy who thought he had COVID would be making those comments.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida

My wife and MIL (who lives with us) both had Covid in January 2020 and both got + antibody tests in late March.
... back then unless you were near death hospitals wouldn’t take you. I took 5 weeks of FLMA and took care of them. ... ended up losing my job because of it.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
But which 33 year old playerwill we be getting back?

"RUSTY" Johnny?

"Can't re-kindl the energyvof youth Johnny?

Country Club Johnny?He of the big fat 10.5 deal that never has given a proper ROI as even the better years of this deal to date have put him in the 1C "B" level of Centers not the top elite "A" top 5 centers in the league.
So if we get Coubnry Ckub Johnny thatvis more like a "C" or "C minus " mail it in pay the money I to the back account Johnny ratger than top 3rd 1st line C ofv he League.

Or he coukd sink alk thecwayvdiwn to Machu Pichu Johnny which frankly was crap that season after his visit there.

Or ...maybe we get Re-freshed...enrgectic,take-away /difference maker Johnny ?

Woukd be great if we go t tgat Johnny back...but I would bet the farm we never see that Johnny again.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

"RUSTY" Johnny?

Country Club Johnny?He of the big fat 10.5 deal that never has given a proper ROI as even the better years of this deal to date have put him in the 1C "B" level of Centers not the top elite "A" top 5 centers in the league.
So if we get Coubnry Ckub Johnny thatvis more like a "C" or "C minus " mail it in pay the money I to the back account Johnny ratger than top 3rd 1st line C ofv he League.

Or he coukd sink alk thecwayvdiwn to Machu Pichu Johnny which frankly was crap that season after his visit there.

Woukd be great if we go t tgat Johnny back...but I would bet the farm we never see that Johnny again.

Once again for the umpteenth time: the overpaying of players is on Stan. No player is going to turn down his chronic generosity with other people's money.
I know people don't want to believe this but as I said way back in July of 2014. History will state that Hawks demise began the day that Kane and Toews were gifted their 8-year deals which would handcuff Hawks for years to come. The Seabs extension in Sept the following year added insult to injury and Hawks were doomed to mediocrity... and it is still with us.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida

"RUSTY" Johnny?

Country club Johnny is one of the dumbest things you’ve ever written. (No easy accomplishment)
He has had times when he’s played great and other times … not so much. I’ve never seen him mailing it in and just collecting the checks.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Once again for the umpteenth time: the overpaying of players is on Stan. No player is going to turn down his chronic generosity with other people's money.
I know people don't want to believe this but as I said way back in July of 2014. History will state that Hawks demise began the day that Kane and Toews were gifted their 8-year deals which would handcuff Hawks for years to come. The Seabs extension in Sept the following year added insult to injury and Hawks were doomed to mediocrity... and it is still with us.

the Hawks are bad because 1) they traded away Danault and Teuvo for nothing and 2) they haven’t drafted a developed a top 4 defenseman in a decade. Paying stars isn’t why they are bad

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il

"RUSTY" Johnny?

Fiddy, did you ever turn down a BIG raise??? No?

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
the Hawks are bad because 1) they traded away Danault and Teuvo for nothing and 2) they haven’t drafted a developed a top 4 defenseman in a decade. Paying stars isn’t why they are bad
Two good additional points to add to Stan's terrible report card. It isn't so easy being poor at your job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad