The Captain is BACK!

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Pretty good, pretty good. [channeling Larry David]

Goes without saying that we're an entirely different animal if Toews is truly back.

Sure if by animal you mean we are a kitten without him and a little tiny dog with him…

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

Toews says he did test positive for Covid antibodies, so that confirms that he did have Covid. Though he did add that him missing last season was a culmination of a few things, not just COVID-19.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Toews says he did test positive for Covid antibodies, so that confirms that he did have Covid. Though he did add that him missing last season was a culmination of a few things, not just COVID-19.

I think it’s much more likely that his body was just broken down which kept him out as opposed to it being COVID related. Lots of people have COVID with no major side effects. It seems more coincidental than a causation of his missed time IMO

Reactions: Muffinalt

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think it’s much more likely that his body was just broken down which kept him out as opposed to it being COVID related. Lots of people have COVID with no major side effects. It seems more coincidental than a causation of his missed time IMO
I'm not so sure. Covid antibodies don't just happen and everyone reacts differently to the virus. I'm sure Oilers Alex Stalock would also disagree:
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-edmonton-oilers-alex-stalock-heart-condition-1.6185922

WarLax

Apr 17, 2016

You're right in that plenty of people are fine....but many aren't. Personally, I've had a myriad of health issues (on top of preexisting issues) since contracting COVID in February. It can absolutely f*** you up long term, especially for those with pre-existing issues, as Toews has.

Reactions: Giovi

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Relax you guys, I’m not saying COVID is no biggie. All I’m saying is it may have been no biggie for Toews when he got it. There are plenty of people who catch COVID and have extremely mild symptoms. No need to get dramatic with specific severe instances or personal stories.

Did you even read his quote? “One part in many factors”. Again, much more likely his body was worn down and he was unable to heal. It explains why “Chronix Immune Disorder” was used as well as somewhat of an explanation for the mystery behind his time away. Toews having antibodies in his system doesn’t automatically mean he had severe symptoms or that it drastically delayed his recovery. It’s possible, of course, but it isn’t necessarily likely.

I want to get ahead of this one before the season starts so we can avoid using terms like “Covid fatigue” and “long term Covid” ad nauseum if Toews starts to slump. I believe it was even specifically reported (I may be wrong) that it was NOT COVID keeping Toews off the ice.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Relax you guys, I’m not saying COVID is no biggie. All I’m saying is it may have been no biggie for Toews when he got it. There are plenty of people who catch COVID and have extremely mild symptoms. No need to get dramatic with specific severe instances or personal stories.

Did you even read his quote? “One part in many factors”. Again, much more likely his body was worn down and he was unable to heal. It explains why “Chronix Immune Disorder” was used as well as somewhat of an explanation for the mystery behind his time away. Toews having antibodies in his system doesn’t automatically mean he had severe symptoms or that it drastically delayed his recovery. It’s possible, of course, but it isn’t necessarily likely.

I want to get ahead of this one before the season starts so we can avoid using terms like “Covid fatigue” and “long term Covid” ad nauseum if Toews starts to slump. I believe it was even specifically reported (I may be wrong) that it was NOT COVID keeping Toews off the ice.
My understanding is that it's some autoimmune disorder that may or may not have been enhanced by covid.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
Based on all the Towes quotes so far, I think we need to readjust our expectations. He may be trying to underpromise and over deliver, but he's sounding to me like a guy who will play about 15 minutes and may need to take some games off here and there. Aside from him actually being back on the ice (which is great), I'm not very reassured that he's going to be even at the level of his worst recent years.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
Based on all the Towes quotes so far, I think we need to readjust our expectations. He may be trying to underpromise and over deliver, but he's sounding to me like a guy who will play about 15 minutes and may need to take some games off here and there. Aside from him actually being back on the ice (which is great), I'm not very reassured that he's going to be even at the level of his worst recent years.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015

"I’m still at that point where I’m not 100 percent, but there’s still a lot I can learn as far as just how to slow the game down, think the game better. Just kind of pinpoint what I’ve done well and what I haven’t done so well in the past too. All the while just keep working on my conditioning and getting myself to the point where I know I feel great and feel like myself out there.”

“You know what, I’m just taking one day at a time,” Toews said. “That’s all I can really handle right now. Kind of got into the whole goals vs. expectations and I had to think about that for a minute. Yeah, that’s my goal, but I think I just have to keep being patient. I think there’s things you can learn as far as how to approach the game when you’re not firing on all cylinders. Conditioning isn’t quite there yet, so I’m just chipping away at that. Getting back into watching video and thinking the game. So, that’s my plan. I’d love to. Focus on tomorrow for now.”

"You kind of hit walls that come up unexpectedly. It’s hard not to get frustrated again. I think that’s a big thing I’ve learned to deal with, is always having that expected result, those expectations in your mind. When you don’t quite meet them, it’s kind of hard. "

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Yeah to be honest I get the same impression. He's being very cautious about his fitness that's clear.

Anyway, if that is more than enough to have me excited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad