The Captain is BACK!

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I suppose it's possible he meant that, but it would be odd after having it for a year if he didn't know the name of his own condition.

Ya, who knows?

Like you said, the thing he said doesn't seem to exist. Seems somewhat possible he just mixed up inflammatory and immune.

The symptoms seem to match what he was describing.

Reactions: hawksrule

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
This leaves me with more questions than answers:

From the Australian government:
Biological Health Services stated that the term CIRS ‘is neither recognised nor has been made legitimate within medicine or the wider academic community.’11
The Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP) agreed and stated:
… sufficient research has not been conducted nor consensus reached for the terms ‘biotoxin-related illnesses’ or ‘Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS)’ to be used as valid diagnostic labels.12
The RACP further stated that ‘inappropriate labels can mislead efforts to improve the health and wellbeing of people with symptoms.’ As such, the RACP preferred to refer to these patients as people with ’multiple not‑readily-explained symptoms’

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
If I remember correct, weren’t a bunch of people on this board complaining that toews was the biggest problem with this team and that he was “ the leader of the country club” and now those same people are acting like his return is our saving grace.

Correct, he was nowhere near his old self his last two seasons, put up points but every other game he looked gassed. If I had to guess I'd say he's been struggling with this for a few years now.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm wondering if he meant Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome? There's nothing online about Chronic Immune Response Syndrome. It's possible he misspoke? The symptoms of CIRS sound exactly like what I was told was going on with him, so I'm guessing that's what it is?

This is good news, and I'm glad they finally have an idea about what's going on, even if it is a strange and controversial illness.

He's been practicing at 5th/3rd and not a damn word on that came out, lol, this organization doesn't leak. Good to see. I'm hoping he comes back better and healed up, that's a good amount of time to take care of lingering ****.

Probably because he just got back on the ice very, very recently. ;)

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I'm wondering if he meant Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome? There's nothing online about Chronic Immune Response Syndrome. It's possible he misspoke? The symptoms of CIRS sound exactly like what I was told was going on with him, so I'm guessing that's what it is?

This is good news, and I'm glad they finally have an idea about what's going on, even if it is a strange and controversial illness.

Probably because he just got back on the ice very, very recently. ;)

Interesting! I think another poster may have posted something very similar above. :)

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I'm no doctor, but an immune system chronically responding sounds like a good thing. It's when it doesn't respond that sounds problematic.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm no doctor, but an immune system chronically responding sounds like a good thing. It's when it doesn't respond that sounds problematic.

It's actually not. An overactive immune system leads to a lot of illnesses and general health problems. Asthma, food allergies, eczema, etc. Worst case it ends up being an autoimmune disease, and there are plenty of really bad ones. A good thing is a balanced immune system that responds accordingly.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Apparently Lazarus has an article with Toews where Toews says that COVID long haul may have played a part in his disease.

*Update after listening to podcast*
- had COVID before it really hit the US in a major way, and was hit pretty hard by it
- has had some symptoms of COVID long haul
- isn't sure it is from COVID, but doctors say its possible

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Also, I'm hoping they figured out how to treat his problems. He's had immune system issues for a really long time. For example, the diet issues. This is just an ongoing extension of that. Unfortunately, issues with the immune system tend to be very difficult to treat. I think it remains to be seen what capacity he can return at.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
100%. Nobody knows what kind of player Toews will return as.

Plus, there are myriad other questions that need to be answered. This should be a stay the course season (does not preclude trades, FWIW). The soonest we should be making a big splash is the following offseason.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Apparently Lazarus has an article with Toews where Toews says that COVID long haul may have played a part in his disease.

*Update after listening to podcast*
- had COVID before it really hit the US in a major way, and was hit pretty hard by it
- has had some symptoms of COVID long haul
- isn't sure it is from COVID, but doctors say its possible

Covid long haul wouldn't surprise me in the least.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
If I remember correct, weren’t a bunch of people on this board complaining that toews was the biggest problem with this team and that he was “ the leader of the country club” and now those same people are acting like his return is our saving grace.
I don't think anyone (with the possible exception of Fiddy) thought that Toews was the leader of the country club atmosphere and if they did they were way off base.
This long-awaited announcement could explain why in recent times we too often saw a gasping Toews heading to the bench. His mind wanted, his body wasn't responding.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Great news, no doubt about it. But this shouldn't be the impetus to blow our collective wad on Hamilton or Jones. Too many flaws, too much term.
Random thoughts:
I wouldn't mind Jones at a respectable contract but from the speculation, Hawks can't afford his minimum ask (unless they get Kane off the books). A trade involving a healthy Eichel for Kane would be an interesting proposition .... but Eichel is facing a possible career-ending disc problem. If Keith is dealt it opens up some cap space. One thing for sure in my mind: Hawks can't afford to overspend at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad