The Captain is BACK!

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Did he mean Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome? If so, this is some f***ing scary shit.

Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS) is a progressive, multi-system, multi-symptom illness characterized by exposure to biotoxins. The ongoing inflammation can affect virtually any organ system of the body and if left untreated becomes debilitating.

CIRS WDB is CIRS developed after chronic exposure to the interior of water-damaged buildings typified by resident microbial growth, including bacteria, filamentous fungi (molds), mycobacteria and actinomycetes; together with resultant biologically produced toxins and inflammagens.

Patients with CIRS are often misdiagnosed as having depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder and somatization; as well as Alzheimer’s, Parkinsonism, allergy, fibromyalgia, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among others. Treating patients for these seemingly diverse conditions does not improve their symptoms of CIRS, although effective therapies for CIRS exist.
CIRS is an activation of the innate immune system, making a proper diagnosis difficult since common parameters of inflammation are generally negative upon laboratory evaluation. There is a genetic component that can be tested. CIRS is a brain on fire. A dominant clinical feature of CIRS is the common cognitive complaints by patients, including memory loss, mood disorders, brain fog, loss of executive function and fatigue. This is not a surprise considering that this is a key component of the innate immune response. There are multiple markers to measure the innate response and measure the presence of inflammation in the brain.

EDIT: another link on CIRS

WarLax

Apr 17, 2016
Did he mean Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome? If so, this is some f***ing scary shit.

I've had a chronic illness very much resembling all of that, since I was exposed to a very old (100+ year old) building that suffered a water main break during renovations while working on my PhD (my office as a GA was like 10 f***ing feet from where it leaked down to the basement).

It's made my life hell for almost 8 years now and I've brought up that experience with the mold and the water damaged work place to every doctor I've seen since then....every single one of them has laughed it off.

But that shit is real, if Johnny has been suffering from it for as long as he has it makes sense why it was kept quiet, because it probably took a long time to find a diagnosis. That sort of thing is just not accepted in primary medical circles.

All I know is that him coming out with it has reignited my own fire to not live with this shit anymore. Anyone have a direct line to Johnny so I can meet his doctor? :laugh:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Great news. Don't really know anything about that particular illness but sounds better than the concussion related stuff I was worried he might be suffering from.

Was a good year for him to miss with covid and Dach out as well. If he's able to return next season that changes a lot for the Blackhawks. With him and Dach hopefully both back at 100% the Blackhawks should be right back in the mix.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I've had a chronic illness very much resembling all of that, since I was exposed to a very old (100+ year old) building that suffered a water main break during renovations while working on my PhD (my office as a GA was like 10 f***ing feet from where it leaked down to the basement).

It's made my life hell for almost 8 years now and I've brought up that experience with the mold and the water damaged work place to every doctor I've seen since then....every single one of them has laughed it off.

But that shit is real, if Johnny has been suffering from it for as long as he has it makes sense why it was kept quiet, because it probably took a long time to find a diagnosis. That sort of thing is just not accepted in primary medical circles.

All I know is that him coming out with it has reignited my own fire to not live with this shit anymore. Anyone have a direct line to Johnny so I can meet his doctor? :laugh:
Jesus, that sounds awful! It looks like that first link I posted is from a medical center in Virginia that actually understands the illness and wouldn't laugh it off, might be worth at least making a phone call?

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
He's been practicing at 5th/3rd and not a damn word on that came out, lol, this organization doesn't leak.

Excellent point. I pay good money for the Athletic to pay for two full time Hawks reporters and not one bit of substantial information out of them.

Reactions: Hinterland

TheDoorDoctor

Mar 6, 2013
ONT
Excellent point. I pay good money for the Athletic to pay for two full time Hawks reporters and not one bit of substantial information out of them.
Laz was asked the question a month ago during a q/a about, whether he knew more then he was reporting and he said ‘yes but do to respect to the player and the team he wouldnt report every rumour’

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
He's been practicing at 5th/3rd and not a damn word on that came out, lol, this organization doesn't leak. Good to see. I'm hoping he comes back better and healed up, that's a good amount of time to take care of lingering ****.

I haven’t had a chance to watch the video. Did it mention how long he’s been practicing or skating for?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Strangely little to nothing about this condition online. Nearly every search result with those words in quotes comes back about Toews.

Glad he's feeling better.

The little I looked into it it came across as one of those labels of a condition they use when they really have no idea what’s wrong. However, I didn’t dive deep into it. That’s just the gut feeling I got from the few things I did read and the fact there isn’t much out there about it.

Regardless, I hope he’s healthy, happy, and ready to play again if that’s what he wants.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The little I looked into it it came across as one of those labels of a condition they use when they really have no idea what’s wrong. However, I didn’t dive deep into it. That’s just the gut feeling I got from the few things I did read and the fact there isn’t much out there about it.

Regardless, I hope he’s healthy, happy, and ready to play again if that’s what he wants.

Basically like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Addams Family 13 51 Aug_ 20 20_03x (14).jpg

Reactions: Muffinalt

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
So so so so happy with the fantastic news!! First and foremost that his condition is stable and he's healthy again, but the team and the watching experience just wasn't the same without him, at least for me.

Now it's back to the good old captain days, can't wait for the end of the game handshakes.

There will be an adjustment period for him though after such a long time for sure, so let's try to keep the hottakes to the minium?

Reactions: Mrfenn92

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
EDIT: another link on CIRS
This article is easy to follow and somewhat detailed with references.

The most encouraging info to me was the below, as long as JT can get to 'final steps' point in his treatment.

"....One of the final steps in CIRS treatment may include VIP nasal spray. VIP stands for vasoactive intestinal peptide, which decreases levels of biotoxins like MMP-9 and TGF-beta1. Physicians report a 90 percent success rate with VIP nasal sprays, as well as no reported adverse side effects...."

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad