Confirmed with Link: The Calgary Flames Name Ryan Huska the Franchise's 24th Head Coach

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Honestly..... I'm really not that impressed with Conroy's first big move as a GM.
Should we look forward to more mediocrity as the summer moves along and the 2023-24 season gets under way? My excitement for the new season is slowly diminishing. More same old same old?

Reactions: tmurfin

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
If Ryan is signed and announced Monday, I expect a flurry of announcements to regularly occur right up until draft day.

I don't see any more firings in the coaching ranks (unless it is AHL), but there could be a voluntary resignation if there is any animosity for being passed over (Muller, Love).

There would be a vacancy at Assistant Coach and while many would logically think Love might be the guy, I think he'll stay with the Wranglers. Patience is a virtue. For more new blood an outside guy might be hired to fill Huska's vacated spot.

Cap space needs to be created to fill out the roster. And I think they will either do that on draft day or with a trade before hand.

There are RFA's (Petterson, Jones, Pospisil) to re-sign and possible UFA's (group 6) to re-sign (Meloche, Phillips).

They'll have to finalize their draft strategy as well.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
I'm kind of against anyone from the previous regime coming back in any capacity, if the team culture was as toxic as has been implied (inferred?)
I mean. Initially thats what I thought as well but if they fired Sutter based on players and training staff feedback, I think they might have taken that into consideration on the hire as well.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Honestly..... I'm really not that impressed with Conroy's first big move as a GM.
Should we look forward to more mediocrity as the summer moves along and the 2023-24 season gets under way? My excitement for the new season is slowly diminishing. More same old same old?

My excitement is at all time low tbh.

Huska...bleh.
Markstrom...bleh unless he pulls a Bobrovsky
Huberdau...a mediocre season would be a win. Bleh is more likely.
Kadri...old, has his cup and money. checked out and will not respect a rookie coach
Lindholm, Hanifin, on their way out
Toffoli, unlikely to repeat last season, we'll hang onto him and watch him score 18 next year

What exactly are we looking foward to? Pelletier and Kylington I suppose?

BTW One of the most disappointing seasons in recent memory, and people who were here for it all get promoted, Maloney, Conroy and now Huska. What a clown show.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Now that who the next Flames HC is the worst kept secret in Calgary who will be the Associate/Assistant coaches?
Is Mitch Love interested? Or will he decide that its a better career move to remain the HC of the Wranglers or maybe he'll decide to move on to another organization after losing out to Ryan Huska? I wouldn't blame him.
What about Kirk Muller? I doubt he's getting much interest elsewhere as a HC hire with another team so I wouldn't put it past Conroy to remain loyal and let him stay as an Associate Coach with the Flames.
I'm seeing stories that Detroit isn't interested in letting Alex Tanguay out of his AC contract to become an AC with Calgary.
Assistant coaches Cail MacLean, Jordan Sigalet, Jason Labarbera, and Jamie Pringle will likely stay.

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
So its not the sexiest hire, but I mean what more do you want?

Dude has worked his way up the ranks, and deserves a shot. I noticed his name in the rafters of the Blazers arena when I was there for the memorial cup, so thats a win already in my books.

Dude worked for their farm team, and has been with the main club for a while. If you don't give him a chance you're gonna lose someone you have put a tonne of time and money into. If he doesn't work out, then you can bring in Mitch Love. I am sure Love will be on the staff in some capacity, but I think that he would do well to learn at the NHL level as well.

All in all I think its a good hire for Conroy.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

Dude has worked his way up the ranks, and deserves a shot. I noticed his name in the rafters of the Blazers arena when I was there for the memorial cup, so thats a win already in my books.

Dude worked for their farm team, and has been with the main club for a while. If you don't give him a chance you're gonna lose someone you have put a tonne of time and money into. If he doesn't work out, then you can bring in Mitch Love. I am sure Love will be on the staff in some capacity, but I think that he would do well to learn at the NHL level as well.

I wanted a coach known for creating offense and exciting hockey what we get is same old same old defence first coaching. Going in house for the gm almost required going external for new coach if they wanted a new spin

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I can see this scenario where Huska is named coach and the next day Keefe is fired and Treliving snags Love for the leafs

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I wanted a coach known for creating offense and exciting hockey what we get is same old same old defence first coaching. Going in house for the gm almost required going external for new coach if they wanted a new spin
Defence first or not, I think it's worth noting that the season before this one (Sutter's first full season) was probably the most exciting season of Flames hockey since the Iggy era. May have sucked for the opposition getting dunked on so much, but from a Flames-centric perspective there was nothing wrong with the entertainment value. First two 100-point seasons we'd had for over 30 years. We had no difficulty piling up goals, and we barely gave the opposition a sniff.

While I agree that last season was likely the least fun season I can remember experiencing as a fan, I don't think the root cause of that can be pinned on a defensive system. It wasn't Sutter's system that caused the problems, it was clearly the personality, which led to poor relationships, which led to negative attitudes and lack of attention to detail.

I'm hopeful for the results with Huska. It's not a secret to the people making these two hiring decisions respectively that things weren't working last year. It's not a secret that the offence needs to be unlocked from Huberdeau and others on the roster, and that the team culture needs to change. They took a ton of time with both hirings, so I think we can be pretty confident that they were analyzing exactly what (who) the problems were and what the problems weren't.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'm pretty sure he did it for at least one or two seasons, but could be totally misremembering. I'm too lazy to look haha
He retire Feb. 4, 2011 and immediately excepted a position as special assistant GM to Jay Feaster. 2014 he was promoted to AGM under Brad Treliving. Don't think he ever held an official position with the Heat.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012

Also was a great head coach who accomplished many things with the Kelowna Rockets.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Ryan Huska has a pretty meh record as HC in professional hockey. I just can't get excited about this guy.

Screenshot_20230610-121349_kindlephoto-19724191.png

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Ryan Huska has a pretty meh record as HC in professional hockey. I just can't get excited about this guy.

View attachment 716782
Context really matters with the AHL, though. You've got teams stocked with career AHLers in their prime or 30s, and then you have teams who are more developmental. IIRC Huska's teams were very young. Those years are right after the Bennett draft where we were really focused on rebuilding through the system. Team results may not be fantastic, but look at all the guys who have outperformed their draft position while going through him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: