Confirmed with Link: The Calgary Flames Name Ryan Huska the Franchise's 24th Head Coach

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Ryan Huska saying all the right things but we've all heard this song before from other coaches.
I guess the big question is do the players believe this is a guy they can win under? Will the promotion of Huska to HC change the minds of some players who were either going to ask for a trade or were not going to sign new contracts?
We shall see I guess. Right now the only player I've heard give a thumbs up to the Huska promotion is Andersson.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
Ryan Huska saying all the right things but we've all heard this song before from other coaches.
I guess the big question is do the players believe this is a guy they can win under? Will the promotion of Huska to HC change the minds of some players who were either going to ask for a trade or were not going to sign new contracts?
We shall see I guess. Right now the only player I've heard give a thumbs up to the Huska promotion is Andersson.
The player that a lot of the fan base wants to see as the next captain.

Also noted, he and Huska didnt get along in Stockton when he started and he won Anderson over.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Best tank commander since Heinz Guderian. Maybe he'll even write a book called Achtung - Calgary Flames! I'm particularly interested in the tactic of playing legendary tank commander Drydent Hunt in the top 6! I'd say that deserves at least a chapter or two!

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
You guys are so ridiculous with coaches. Honestly we could hire prime Scotty Bowman and he’d be a terrible coach according to you. No wonder Patrick Roy declined an interview

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
You guys are so ridiculous with coaches. Honestly we could hire prime Scotty Bowman and he’d be a terrible coach according to you. No wonder Patrick Roy declined an interview
The team is 2-7-1 and on a 6 game losing skid lol. Virtually EVER player except Mangiapane and Weegar has taken a step back from last season so far too. He's playing an AHL-caliber scrub 16 minutes a night.

He's been pretty awful notwithstanding giving some young guys a shot.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The team is 2-7-1 and on a 6 game losing skid lol. Virtually EVER player except Mangiapane and Weegar has taken a step back from last season so far too. He's playing an AHL-caliber scrub 16 minutes a night.

You guys complain about every coach. You guys complained about Sutter when the Flames finished first in the Pacific.

At what point is it not the coaches fault? Give the guy more than 10 games before before you throw him under the bus like every other coach. It’s embarrassing. The team is playing like ass because the players are playing like ass, not because of the coach.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
You guys complain about every coach. You guys complained about Sutter when the Flames finished first in the Pacific.

At what point is it not the coaches fault? Give the guy more than 10 games before before you throw him under the bus like every other coach. It’s embarrassing. The team is playing like ass because the players are playing like ass, not because of the coach.
When almost the entire team has regressed, usually coaching is a decent pointer. At least last season you could look at that roster and see only 1 or 2 drop-offs from career norms (Huberdeau and Mangi, and the latter was largely due to injury). This year it is everyone, f***ing everyone. Mangi has had a bounce back, but again a lot of that is injuries being sorted out. Weegar has been a beast, but that's just what he always is. And it's just not just the GF and GA stats (which are btw god f***ing awful), but the advanced analytics have taken a step back (corsi is down, but the team is in the red with regards to their xGF%).

There aren't any positives to really speak of. I mean their PDO is outrageously low, but they are playing bottom-tier hockey. That wasn't the case last year. The product has also mostly sucked this season.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a great team. But this also isn't the 2nd worst roster in the NHL on paper type team either. They are playing well below their potential right now.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Id argue Markstrom is much better but yes it looks ugly so far

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Id argue Markstrom is much better but yes it looks ugly so far
I'd argue that goaltending is sort of its own thing. You certainly couldn't point to Sutter for his massive regression this year lol. Same sort of thing with Huska and the cat bounce he's got this year.

He still hasn't been all that great IMO. But I digress, there are so many other issues rn.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I'd argue that goaltending is sort of its own thing. You certainly couldn't point to Sutter for his massive regression this year lol. Same sort of thing with Huska and the cat bounce he's got this year.

He still hasn't been all that great IMO. But I digress, there are so many other issues rn.
Markstrom has always been better facing more shots not less I never thought him and Sutter were a good fit and I think it's hard to say he hasn't been good when he has this team playing in front of him.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Curious what our lines will be for the Kraken.
What ever numbers pop out of the machine in Huska's office...

Bingo_Cage_Machine_from_Manor_Press_Ltd (1).gif

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I've seen a lot of Flames fans give Huska flack for the rough start, which I don't agree with as it was 10 whopping games, but I've liked what he's been doing so far. People were calling him soft and just being a pushover coach, well it didn't take him long in his NHL career to bench the highest paid player on the team for an entire period. Guy isn't a pushover.

He's also got Zary popping on the 2nd line giving him a ton of minutes which he's earned. Pospisil is getting decent minutes, when Solo was up he got minutes. He isn't giving these guys 5 minutes a night like Sutter would.

Though the start has sucked, there has been visible changes in how Conroy and Huska run the Flames. For better or worse things are different from last year (maybe the product on the ice still ain't the greatest).

Reactions: Nanuuk and Fig

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I have a pretty strict and radical views with all instances related to Calgary Flames but to me, Huska has been an astute signing. He has done everything he had promised at the start of the season with the inclusion of reward and punishment... The way he has been treating Huberdeau is constructive- play him v Toronto and wait for a response, if he is again the lead then bench him vs
Ottawa.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanuuk

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I've seen a lot of Flames fans give Huska flack for the rough start, which I don't agree with as it was 10 whopping games, but I've liked what he's been doing so far. People were calling him soft and just being a pushover coach, well it didn't take him long in his NHL career to bench the highest paid player on the team for an entire period. Guy isn't a pushover.

He's also got Zary popping on the 2nd line giving him a ton of minutes which he's earned. Pospisil is getting decent minutes, when Solo was up he got minutes. He isn't giving these guys 5 minutes a night like Sutter would.

Though the start has sucked, there has been visible changes in how Conroy and Huska run the Flames. For better or worse things are different from last year (maybe the product on the ice still ain't the greatest).

The positives under Huska have been the injection of youth (Zary, Pospisil) and the guts to bench your 10.5M player for the entire third period last night leading to a come back win.

I'll give credit where credit is due, good for Huska. I wish we had Pelletier back sooner rather than later.

Reactions: TheHudlinator

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Yeah, I mentioned previously that his coaching group has probably the least coaching experience than all other groups in the last decade. Even Gully's group had two guys with HC experience.

Ward was in his 50s was a dev coach for 1 NHL team and an AC for 3 NHL teams totaling 11 seasons and HC in Germany before being HC around Age 57-58?). He had Gelinas as AC (9th year as Flames AC by that point) which at least offered tenure and relationships with players, but honestly speaking I'm not sure what calibre of coach Gelinas was. He also had Ray Edwards, who was a newbie with only 1 AC season in Calgary prior to Ward as HC.

Gully was 45 when he was HC of the Flames. He had previous HC experience with the Stars (Age 40-41). Cameron was an AC for him who had 4 years AC experience with the Sens and 2 years HC just prior to joining the Flames. Jerrard (RIP) was a career AHL/NHL AC and had 2 years AC with the Stars from when Gully was coach and 1 year AC for Avs when Hartley was a coach plus a long decade plus resume in the AHL prior to joining us. When they were here, Cameron was mid to late 50s, Jerrard (RIP) was early 50s.

Peters was 53 when he was Flames HC and resume included 4 years in Carolina and 3 years AC under Babcock. He had NHL AC rookies Huska and Edwards as his AC plus 7th year AC Gelinas as his AC. His AC crew was probably most comparable to Huska's current crew for HC/AC AHL and NHL experience, but Peters was also older and not a rookie coach when he came here. To be fair, Peters isn't a terrible coach for the modern NHL. He's just an ass and I'm not purely pointing at the Akim Aliu thing. I dare speculate he was the one who basically cratered Eddie Lack's career with some behind the scenes stuff. "Make a f***ing save" is a public video available to be looked up.

Current crew:
Huska, current age 48 was AC in Calgary for 5 seasons under Peters, Ward and Sutter and 4 seasons HC for Flames AHL. Lambert, Age 53 was the coach after Huska for the Rockets and was actually his AC in Kelowna for 4 seasons so there's a lot of history there. He spent 4 seasons as AC for the Preds under Lavi and Hynes prior to joining Huska's crew. Savard was straight from the OHL as HC for 2 seasons. (Age 46)

After digging in a little more detail, this current group is a really young group of guys. By my ballpark estimates have a combined less AC/HC AHL and NHL total experience by a significant margin to previous groups and other groups in the NHL. I dare say that even the least experienced coaches we had in Gully and Ward had at least double the total AC/HC experience at the AHL/NHL levels.

Thus, they deserve more runway to prove themselves IMO and I also believe that based on what we've seen so far, it ain't bad for a group that started further back vs other team. There's long term positives to look forward to even though there's been some concern so far with the on ice product.

Quoting myself, but I still think this is valid:
Huska to savard be like...

Their faces when they start to see their system take form as the players internalize and things start clicking.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Yea now that we are starting to see players slowly adapt in to the system, honestly I’m a fan of the changes. Currently we don’t have any of our big dogs running pretty much at all, but our strength always was going to be wave offense. Huska allowing our forwards to play high and not be afraid of blowing the zone finally has us looking like a fast transition team, and one that’s pretty relentless when any of our lines are capable of taking the puck the other way to do something dangerous. We actually seem to support our players in transition as well, can’t remember the last time the flames consistently made multiple passes between the blue lines. Everyone always complained we were a slow team, but “playing fast” was always the problem that Huska has done great work on.

Defensively, the breakdowns are still there but the proof is pretty obvious the teams beginning to figure it out. Last 7 periods of hockey we have played we’ve allowed 43 shots. Players now hav support if the get beat, but it does require good decision making which is a strength with our group.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Of all the HC's we've had in recent years, Huska has the calm demeanor. I suspect that is on the outside and the inside. Unflappable as it were.

Yet, he is not afraid of disciplinary action, nor he is afraid to shorten his bench, nor play a kid more if playing well.

Together with Conroy's pledge to introduce more youth to the line-up and promises of go down, play well, and we'll see you up here again, has instilled a different sense of rewards into the organization.

Yes there still are many areas in the team to work on. The power play for starters. Gap control is another. And some times I wonder about early season conditioning.

Anyway, any talk that they made the wrong choice for GM or HC is premature. Patience is a virtue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad