Confirmed with Link: The Calgary Flames Name Ryan Huska the Franchise's 24th Head Coach

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Friedman - just now.

Not a done deal but Ryan Huska is the front runner for the head coaching job in Calgary. (paraphrased)

:eek3:
They're going to let a 2 time AHL coach of the year walk? I guess they're choosing experience.

I'm kind of against anyone from the previous regime coming back in any capacity, if the team culture was as toxic as has been implied (inferred?)
Unless it came up in interviews that Huska was the players' favorite or something

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Huska wasn't even a good AHL coach. Flames trying to rebuild through incompetence?

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Huska wasn't even a good AHL coach. Flames trying to rebuild through incompetence?
My issue with Huska (similar to Conroy) is he was hired as the AHL coach to align the AHL team to the NHL team style and then brought up to Asst Coach the Flames. He has never had to show what his true game philosophy is or implement it. The Flames since Hartley have always tried to be the Gritty, "quick", and high shot volume/high possession metric type team which has resulted in jack sh*t so it better be different

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Husks was in control of our defense and PK, that’s what we did well last year. Going back to his Kelowna days this guy churns out Dmen.

He doesn’t strike me as a true HC type but who knows. Maybe we need someone more laid back after last year.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
One thing I hope isn't the case, is that Maloney is going about this like people were promised things, and he's too nice. Conroy and Huska have been here a long time.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Hoping this means Love is an assistant. Huska had to pay his dues so hopefully this means that's all Love will have to do to

Why would Love do that?

The Flames are going to suck under Huska and Love’s reputation will go down.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Please God... not Huska... what a bland and underwhelming choice. Certainly not the coach to get the fan base excited about the upcoming season. Far from it.
So why Huska?... out of all the available candidates is he asking for the least amount of money to do the job? I figure that's gotta be it. It certainly can't be his experience getting his teams to play an exciting and successful offensive oriented type of hockey

Last edited:

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I’m expecting Love to be named associate coach; further strengthens his resume for a NHL head gig and allows a Huska firing in season if needed although would most likely be a 24-25 move. Huska will get some rope to learn/adjust.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Yeah Huska would be such a decisively mediocre hiring, but par for the course I suppose.

The guy has been here for five years and through three different head coaches. He shouldn't even be looked at.

A clean slate and a fresh face was needed. I am not happy if this indeed is the case (which all signs point towards).

I am happy with the Conroy hiring but only this organization would believe the two best options league wide at both the GM and HC positions were internal after tolling in mediocrity for so long.

Reactions: Rubi and Ace Rimmer

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

IIRC, the management mandate for the AHL was player development. They completely shifted the KPI from AHL success to prospect graduation success. When we had Troy Ward for instance, he wanted to win all the time and played vets over prospects to the detriment of many prospects. Many flamed out or were lost to injury/mental health. Soon after we fired Troy Ward, management demanded that prospect development and successful graduation be the mandate of the AHL team, and I heard that management has been pretty happy with all of the AHL head coaches in doing their best to meet that mandate since the change.

Huska and Maclean did well in that regards. Love, I'm not sure about the prospect graduation part yet.

If the current management is dealing with a temporary concept of bottoming out with a coach like Huska for 1-2 seasons, but having really good development of those players during those 1-2 seasons before getting a better coach to go for a string of runs... I could see that concept.

But with the age of certain contracts, I think we need to go all out ASAP and develop on the fly. This would be accomplished only by a veteran HC IMO. The only guy I can think of that might be pretty good at that is Rierden and Boudreau while still maintaining somewhat of a players coach to reset against the hard ass coach burnout from Sutter.

The Flames are too perfectly smack dab in the middle to either speed rebuild or retool on the fly. We aren't really forced down a certain path. We're kinda stuck between multiple good options that are viable but not great/bad options.

Reactions: Nanuuk

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Why would Love do that?

The Flames are going to suck under Huska and Love’s reputation will go down.
Why would someone take a job to get experience at level they haven't coached at before? I don't understand the question. If Huska fails Love would be the front runner for the job if Huska does well Love will get attention from other organizations it's a win win for Love. There is still a very real chance that without the best goalie in the ahl Love doesn't look as impressive.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

still only gives Associate Coach vibes 🤔

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space

Maybe it’s just me, but Huska feels like a lame duck hire. He hasn’t had success of any kind as a pro coach. He certainly did well “developing” guys in the AHL so they would adapt to the Flames system when they got promoted. It’s just such a weird decision to me if we’re trying to win now.

But I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt, mainly because we share the same name :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad