Confirmed with Link: The Calgary Flames Name Ryan Huska the Franchise's 24th Head Coach

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
What about Patrick Roy as a head coach? He might be enticed by one of the top goalie prospects in the game coming. It’s like having a head coach/goalie coach all In one.

Also he’s chilled a lot since his first stint with Colorado 🤣

I like Patrick Roy more than most of the other options that have been rumored.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
A rebuild is happening whether management wants it or not. Players are trying to jump this sinking ship and you have others chasing cap-breaking retirement contracts. Either way, we’re over a barrel.

This team ain’t competing for the next 5 years at least

• Haha
Reactions: MM917 and Haatley

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
I know it is complete fantasyland but I keep hoping at some point the team has to wake up to the reality that as Mobiandi says the rebuild is coming whether they want it or not. The only question is do we set ourselves up to benefit from it or do we fight it making it worse.

The only concern I have is they know this but put one round of play-off revenue above success at the club.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Is this post from 2009-2012? Because it feels like something out of that era

This is out of the 2009-Today era.

We know this team has never committed to a proper rebuild; even when they had a chance to really bottom out, all they could suffer was a single year of actual tear down; then right away spent a bunch of UFA money, made trades to be 'competitive' again.

If anyone thinks this team is going to start moving everyone out of town, getting prospects and draft picks... I wonder if they're watching the same team the rest of us have. They just won't do it. Hoping for it is just a useless endeavor that ends up in disappointment. People who've been around here for a while know that I've been beating the proper rebuild drum since 2013. A decade. A decade and they literally could commit only one year to actually doing it.

I'm sorry, but you guys who are like 'rip it down! Tear it down! They'll bottom out anyway' are just not paying attention. You're just setting yourself up for failure/misery.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
This is out of the 2009-Today era.

We know this team has never committed to a proper rebuild; even when they had a chance to really bottom out, all they could suffer was a single year of actual tear down; then right away spent a bunch of UFA money, made trades to be 'competitive' again.

If anyone thinks this team is going to start moving everyone out of town, getting prospects and draft picks... I wonder if they're watching the same team the rest of us have. They just won't do it. Hoping for it is just a useless endeavor that ends up in disappointment. People who've been around here for a while know that I've been beating the proper rebuild drum since 2013. A decade. A decade and they literally could commit only one year to actually doing it.

I'm sorry, but you guys who are like 'rip it down! Tear it down! They'll bottom out anyway' are just not paying attention. You're just setting yourself up for failure/misery.
I just really think it's a myth that NHL teams ever actually commit to "scorched earth" rebuilds.

People will point to Colorado. "You have to be bad for 5 years to get the good players." You cannot plan to be as bad as the Avalanche were to get Mackinnon and Makar. Unless, you're the Tim Murray-Botterill Sabres rebuild. Trade literally everything away in an attempt to get McDavid. Botterill didn't really go after any UFAs until Jeff Skinner 8x9. 10 years on from Tim Murray going scorched earth, the Sabres haven't made the playoffs.

Back to Colorado. What does Sakic do right after snagging Mackinnon? Spends a bunch of UFA money on Soberberg, Comeau, Beauchemin, on multi-year deals. The next year he re-signs 27 year old Erik Johnson 7x7. MacKinnon didn't really emerge as a superstar until his 5th season anyway.

The Leafs are one that everyone cites as doing it the right way that actually leads to sustained contention. After Burke/Nonis left them with a terrible, bloated roster that couldn't make the playoffs, and Shanahan says they're going to do it right: Lamoriello trades for Andersen at 5 million, and starts acquiring players. Doesn't work out, and they truly bottom out in 2016. After getting Marner and Matthews (I will harp on this until the end of time- the Flames were bottom 5 that year, in that lottery, and got Matthew Tkachuk out of it) straight away re-signed Andersen 5x5, then Marleau 3x6.75, Hainsey 2x3, sprinkling in other lower-end, multi-year veteran signings like Martin and Winnik. Two summers after drafting Matthews they sign Tavares 8x11. People will say, well, they already had a stable of young stars like Nylander. No. Nylander was not a result of planned rebuild. He was a result of Nonis' failures. Drafted 8th overall in a year they tried to make the playoffs.

The Panthers, whom everyone says did it the right way: ie, be bad forever, and really commit to that rebuild. Tallon, the supposed architect of this Panthers team, after bottoming out and drafting Gudbrandson, and Huberdeau at #3, right away he signs Fleischmann, Kopecky, Jovanovski, Upshall, Bergenheim to 4 year deals. Then Filip Kuba 2x4mill. They don't improve, and draft Barkov at 2, and Ekblad 1s overall. What do they do July 1 after drafting Ekblad 1st overall? Sign Jokinen 4x4, Bolland 5x5, Mitchell4x2, Derek MacKenzie, to multi year deals.

Perhaps, the Flames shouldn't have signed Huberdeau, Weegar, and Kadri last summer. That course would have signaled a "rebuild." However, no NHL owner would then let them go 5 years without spending on UFAs.

People will say, well, the Arizona/Buffalo method of trading every body and never signing a UFA for 10 years has never been tried with competent management. No NHL owner allows a GM to get that far. Murray was fired for how bad they got in his short tenure. The current Coyotes are an entirely unique case, and if Bill Armstrong doesn't get some results, even he might be out the door.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Seems pretty quiet. No rumors lately. Nothing since the Gallant is interested topic.
I have to think if Mitch Love was being hired, it would have been done by now. Already part of the organization, seems like a quick and easy process. Maybe I'm wrong. I have no idea.
They took their time to announce Conroy when everyone thought if he was the guy he would have been announced earlier

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

Man has posted stuff about the Flames before. Best to watch up me thinks, we might have our HC soon ;)

Tanguay?

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Seems pretty quiet. No rumors lately. Nothing since the Gallant is interested topic.
I have to think if Mitch Love was being hired, it would have been done by now. Already part of the organization, seems like a quick and easy process. Maybe I'm wrong. I have no idea.

They are being extremely thorough with the interviewing and hiring process because they know how bad it will look if they get it wrong. Can't just hire Conroy after Brad leaves without seeing what else is out there even if he seems like the best candidate. Same thing with Love now. It can't just be the right decision, it has to look like they exhausted other options because if it goes to shit they will look incompetent.

Reactions: Boomstick

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
They are being extremely thorough with the interviewing and hiring process because they know how bad it will look if they get it wrong. Can't just hire Conroy after Brad leaves without seeing what else is out there even if he seems like the best candidate. Same thing with Love now. It can't just be the right decision, it has to look like they exhausted other options because if it goes to shit they will look incompetent.

It probably will go to shit, knowing this team.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
It probably will go to shit, knowing this team.

Probably will because I have very little faith in a lot of key players on this roster but this gives ownership, management and coaching a bit of a shield if it does go that way because at least they appeared to do things the right way even if it went bad.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space

Man has posted stuff about the Flames before. Best to watch up me thinks, we might have our HC soon ;)

Tanguay?

Probably Love as HC and Tanguay on the staff.

I'm hoping for Reirden tho.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Tanguay?
Old boys club eh?

Sure. Why not.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Lately I'm finding that recent speculative news stories/Twitter posts about currrent HC candidates, Tanguay's name seem to be MIA.... at least as far as the HC position.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So.... whats the latest rumour? Mitch Love hired as HC and Alex Tanquay as AC?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad