Confirmed with Link: The Calgary Flames Name Ryan Huska the Franchise's 24th Head Coach

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Defence first or not, I think it's worth noting that the season before this one (Sutter's first full season) was probably the most exciting season of Flames hockey since the Iggy era. May have sucked for the opposition getting dunked on so much, but from a Flames-centric perspective there was nothing wrong with the entertainment value. First two 100-point seasons we'd had for over 30 years. We had no difficulty piling up goals, and we barely gave the opposition a sniff.

While I agree that last season was likely the least fun season I can remember experiencing as a fan, I don't think the root cause of that can be pinned on a defensive system. It wasn't Sutter's system that caused the problems, it was clearly the personality, which led to poor relationships, which led to negative attitudes and lack of attention to detail.

I'm hopeful for the results with Huska. It's not a secret to the people making these two hiring decisions respectively that things weren't working last year. It's not a secret that the offence needs to be unlocked from Huberdeau and others on the roster, and that the team culture needs to change. They took a ton of time with both hirings, so I think we can be pretty confident that they were analyzing exactly what (who) the problems were and what the problems weren't.

You have better memory that I do.

Wasn't the fun season Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk doing their thing despite Sutter while he frowned that they are focusing on racking up individual points rather than winning games the "right way"?

Bottom 3 lines playing the good ol sluggish Sutter hockey, unless Mangi had his moments every now and then.

I might be misremembering.

Reactions: Fig

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Wasn't the fun season Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk doing their thing despite Sutter while he frowned that they are focusing on racking up individual points rather than winning games the "right way"?

Bottom 3 lines playing the good ol sluggish Sutter hockey, unless Mangi had his moments every now and then.

Not at all. Them playing the system meant they had the puck way more often and rarely spent time in their own end. They took it from there. Remember how they didn't allow an ESG against nearly for the entire regular season?

The systemic tilting of the ice was present on all four lines, not just the top line.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Y'know what? I won't be excited for this decision, but I'll stand behind the org and support Huska on this one.

With how much stuff is in flux right now, let's just hope for an exciting combination to transpire. Few teams are stuck at such unclear crossroads for rebuild/retool with a new rookie GM, rookie HC and other facets. Let's just go with it and hope for something exciting as the on ice result (even if it might be mediocrity or a speed rebuild/retool).

Glen Gulutzan 2.0

Gully often loved to square peg round hole. His system IMO wasn't bad, but we had the worst roster for that style. We had poor accelerating players for his stop and go play.

If Huska doesn't do this square peg round hole as much for key personnel, he's closer to Peters and Sutter than Gully IMO. If he isn't has hated as Peters and Sutter, I wonder if we'd have a scenario closer to something like a passable Nolan, Reirden or Berube situation. I don't think he'd be as bad as Gully (didn't seem to learn lesson) or Eakins. I do think he at least knows a lot of what not to do with this group to break them at the very least.

Reactions: Boomstick

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Yawn...what an uninspiring hire. Nothing says offense by hiring yet another Defense first coach who was in charge of defense for the 3 previous defense first head coaches.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010

CP "insider":

He is calling this a cheap excuse to run it back with adjustments. Huska was a 60/40 favorite at the table after the interview 2. Some of the senior team member feel Love is highly inflated by Dustin Wolf and struggled to make adjustments in the AHL PO.

"Edwards purse strings are tight right now for Coaching"

Openly admitted he was way off on this one, feels someone sent red herrings through a couple of the suspected leaky faucets and took the bait. Win some and lose some.

Tanguay gave a very strong interview but thinks the move was blocked by Detroit - Interview took place just after WHC.

"Could he be here for the announcement today? Possible - I don't know anymore on the coaching front"

A large number of teams have contacted Calgary regarding Noah - Don't know if Calgary will move him before the season starts.

Lindholm has spoken with Conroy.

Vladar offers are discounts on the dollar. Think he's a good back up plan in Winnipeg and Minnesota.

First and foremost. lol at anyone & everyone who forgets/ignore who cheap Edwards can be

Secondly, it's gonna be status quo to everyone's eternal surprise

Finally, watch them bury Wolf in the minors anyway all year after believing he made Love look good

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The NHL is the only league in the world where players/coaching/management can fall upwards based on their personality over talent

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Agreed with @Anglesmith the issues with last season wasn't stuff that wasn't disproven by Sutter's first season and it wasn't directly related with on ice product issues. The on ice product suffered indirectly as a whole bunch of other off ice crap IMO.

- Sutter's interviews + Players interviews + Bad vibes overall.
- Players playing stiff and stressed out
- Fans could see the players not having fun, which meant we weren't having fun watching either.
- Player outright frustration with the whole season. Players rumored demanding out.
- Players struggling due to personal reasons (ie: pregancy/new parents)
- Snow's situation
- Edmonton's success without us
- Tkachuk's and Gaudreau's performance vs Huberdeau's
- Direction of the team vs other exciting options + ownership vs mangement vs coaching vs players
- Arena fiasco
etc. etc. etc.

With that dark cloud gone and the players enjoying their time a lot more, I think it'll be more fun to watch by a large margin even if the team is mediocre.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Liked the presser for the most part.

Something to be said about continuity for some of the younger players. Kylington, Andersson, Mangiapane all cut their teeth as pros under Huska. Even Jankowski led the AHL team in scoring one year under him. Wasn't my 1st choice but actually happy they decided to hire internally. Really didn't need to see another retread like Gallant or Green.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

CP "insider":

First and foremost. lol at anyone & everyone who forgets/ignore who cheap Edwards can be

Secondly, it's gonna be status quo to everyone's eternal surprise

Finally, watch them bury Wolf in the minors anyway all year after believing he made Love look good
I dont disagree with the idea that Love was inflated by Wolf, be interesting to see how he does without him to be honest.

I dont mind the Huska hire, you'd have to think the core must of said good things about him. Zero chance that Conroy would hire him if guys like Lindholm, Backlund, Hube, etc did not like him.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

Later said they'll interview him for the assistant spot. Another team could probably offer him a faster track to an NHL HC job though if they have a longer tenured coach and might make a change in a year or two.

I don't know I tend to think Love is overrated based off of his AHL record and the Wrangles didn't adjust that well or play particularly structured (and one tweet said some of Flames upper management though this too) but I also don't think Huska was really all that good at developing players at the AHL level. The guys who looked like clear hits coming out of junior hit and the ones that didn't, didn't.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Just watched the press conference. I liked what Huska had to say and some of his visions.
But, Conroy is such a charismatic speaker. I hope him as a GM works out. He's been through it all as a player, and on the management side. I liked what he said about Lindholm, I liked what he said at the end about Mitch Love. He's very well spoken and fun to listen to. Just hope he can fit in with the other GM's across the league and improve our team.

And all I've been hearing today is that Treliving wants to sign Lucic and Perry in Toronto. He's not learning by his mistakes. He's going after the slow veterans that'll spend most of their time in the penalty box. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets Trevor Lewis either. All our old guys to the Leafs.
I liked GMBT for a long while, but since most of what he did here has left, I'm glad he's out the door too.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00