The Buffalo Sabres are a TOP 5 team

Status
Not open for further replies.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
That has more to do with them being in the midst of a 9 game win stream and needing to eventually lose then the opponents. Because we have beaten Minnesota, Winnipeg and Tampa recently who are just as good.

No it has to do with the fact that those teams are way better than Buffalo who is playing above their heads right now and will eventually fall back to earth whether Sabres fans dream otherwise.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
They are about to play a really tough 5-game stretch (including SJS, TBL, NSH & TOR), so I expect them to fall back down to earth a bit.

So what would it take to make people say they have turned the corner and wont be free falling from here on out? 2 and 2, 3 of 4? What if they win all 4, which I dont expect, but what's the over under on this stretch to make people consider them a top team?

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
No but plenty of Sabres fans hink they re better than teams like TBL, NSH, TOR etc. which is hysterical
If you actually read the thread you would see a lot of sabres fans stating right away that we don’t like this thread, we recognize we aren’t actually a top 5 team, etc.

I’m sure with each win on this streak some obnoxious fans(ones like yourself) are making hot takes/misguided opinions as to how good this team is. However the sensible fans of the sabres are all saying the same thing.

This team could be a playoff team and we need to keep banking the wins now while we are red hot. Because we will regress back to what we are. A middle of the pack team.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
If you actually read the thread you would see a lot of sabres fans stating right away that we don’t like this thread, we recognize we aren’t actually a top 5 team, etc.

I’m sure with each win on this streak some obnoxious fans(ones like yourself) are making hot takes/misguided opinions as to how good this team is. However the sensible fans of the sabres are all saying the same thing.

This team could be a playoff team and we need to keep banking the wins now while we are red hot. Because we will regress back to what we are. A middle of the pack team.

You're right. I shouldn't have generalized the whole sabres fanbase.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
So what would it take to make people say they have turned the corner and wont be free falling from here on out? 2 and 2, 3 of 4? What if they win all 4, which I dont expect, but what's the over under on this stretch to make people consider them a top team?
Probably just finishing the season with a solid record will make people believers. If they weren't bad for so long it would be easier to swallow for most people I bet.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Buffalo has a good chance to make the playoffs but I see them more as a middle of the pack team and not a top team. They have won 9 in a row but only have a +10 goal differential compared to teams around them at +23, +24, and +24. They also only have 13 row vs 16, 17, and 17 from those same teams.

Hot streak? Mayble a little luck? We'll see I guess.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
We're enjoying this run immensely, but most Sabres fans are realistic about the team.

Personally, I'll be quite happy if they're even competing for a playoff spot in March. That would mean at least a 25 point improvement from last season. Can't expect much more of a single season turnaround than that.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Pure luck? Bad teams don’t put together a streak like that, beating some of the top competition in the league (Tampa, @WPG, @MIN). Maybe they are overachieving, but it isn’t pure luck.

Also the team PDO is middle of the pack at 1.008. Statistically, they're not getting particularly lucky.
This is a young team with a good amount of talent finally figuring out how to win games. They're not going to win them all, but they're gelling right now, gaining confidence, and finding ways to get the job done.

Reactions: Mattilaus

PunchImlach is Alive

Jul 15, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Buffalo has a good chance to make the playoffs but I see them more as a middle of the pack team and not a top team. They have won 9 in a row but only have a +10 goal differential compared to teams around them at +23, +24, and +24. They also only have 13 row vs 16, 17, and 17 from those same teams.

Hot streak? Mayble a little luck? We'll see I guess.

As a fan, whatever it is, I'll take it.

The goal differential could be explained from the earlier part of the season, where the Sabres would randomly turn into a house of cards on occasion. I think chemistry and incremental development are probably factors for the recent streak.

Obviously, this isn't really sustainable for the long haul. Buffalo has had some slim wins but I also don't think Tampa and Toronto having nearly perfect ROWs is sustainable either. Regardless, we haven't even gotten to high-ankle sprain or Bogo-is-out-indefinitely parts of the season yet. Depth, in the worst-case scenario, is still a pretty big question mark for Buffalo with so many younger players.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Way to early to claim this yet, not on the back of a hot-streak, heck I honestly don't even have them as top-3 in the division in a playoff series, at least not yet (Tampa, Toronto and Boston in that order would be my current picks). Still, it definitely looks like the Sabres have finally turned a corner on their rebuild and look ready to get back into the playoffs.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
When I checked the standings over the weekend, they were #1 in the league. Now, only a few days later, they've slipped all of the way to #3. Is it time to panic?

Reactions: couture23

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
A bit off topic, but Toronto being 4th in the league currently but 3rd in there division is funny to me.

What a change in the Atlantic compared to last season.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Wild are all luck as well. Not as lucky as Buffalo, but here's hoping we have a luck-off in the SCF.

Reactions: wakaflocka

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Rangers were 8-1-1 in 10 a week ago and they’re sure as hell not a top team.

Sabres are doing really well but I’m skeptical this level will sustain. Probabaly a playoff team though.

The Rangers along with Detroit started in a ho,e do their streaks are hidden

Prior to their steak buffalo was already above 500.

Here is the difference...

Buffalo has picked top 10 for 6 years in a row. 5 if the 6 picked are currently on the team.

Since roe lost season look at teams with multiple top 10 picks...kings, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington all won cups. Tampa and Toronto also have had multiple,e top 10 picks and their doing well.

If you recall Toronto went year after picking Matthews and made the pkayoffs. It was expected buffalo would do something similar but it didn’t happen till this year.

The team was lacking confudence. Thus year they seemed to develop it.

The other thing they have developed is resiliency where they can come back to tie or win wherepast years they may give up.

Those two factors are key in the first year a non playoff team fir a few years becomes a playoff team.

My expectation on this year was them being 13-26 a playoff bubble team making it maybe or maybe not. It happens their steak was earlier putting them near the top of the league.

If they play a litle above 500 they look to be a playoff team of around 96-100 pts. Who knows what could happen with injuries.

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
The sharks were awful in that OT period, i think everyone needs to accept the fact that the sabres are never losing again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad